1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you find out who owns a company

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

With all the buy American support local business etc ect. How do you really know if the product/business is truly American owned. Few ex.
    1. Browning is not an American co. owned by FN belgium
    2. Remington I believe is owned by a Canadian firm????
    3. Chrysler is owned buy the germans????
    How do you really know who is the owner
    Also rumour has it S&W is no longer a US company? bought out by walther???
    These are not facts,,,,,thats what I'm trying to find out.

2. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Just ask Brian from Oregon- he knows everything.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Download a copy of their financial report. HMB

4. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Chrysler and Remington are owned by the same U.S. company - Cerebus.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

single shot, kind of info I am after, was reading the they also own Bushmaster and Panther DPMS. These are good to know. Maybe the ceo is canadian or something.

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't think Cerebus is a company. Isn't it a financial group that buys Companys?

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The short answer is if it is a public company, then it's owned by the public. Regardless of where it is based or who the current management team is, a "foreign" company may have lots of American stockholders and an American company is going to have lots of foreign stockholders. It's called globalization and it is a reality.

Further, even foreign products that are sold in this country help employ lots of Americans in the import, distribution and sales of those products. I can guarantee you that all that stuff made in China sold by WalMart results in far more dollars in Americans wallets than Chinese wallets.

That is why NAFTA and other free trade agreements have a huge net beneficial effect in our economy despite what the ignorant believe.

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

The above site is the official site of Cerberus capitol. They own allot of companies. Chrysler, Remington, Air Canada and others. They are not on the stock exchange. Privately held company.

Jerbear

9. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Cerebus also owns NEF, H&R & Marlin.

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

JBrooks, I am in shock. I can't say that I agree with your belief that NAFTA is good for America. But the fact that you think it is good means you must have agreed with Bill Clinton for signing it, supporting it and not vetoing it. Wow, you liking or agreeing with something that a Democrat did? Quick! Somebody check, hell may have frozen over! heheheehehe

Good shooting, John E.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Well, you do have to rember that the Republicans joined by a majority of sane Democrats passed it.

You also have to remember that Slick Willy, while a crook and a slime ball, politically is far to the right of his wife and way far to the right of the Marxist Obambi.

12. JimBoNC

JimBoNC TS Member

JBrooks, maybe you could take time to explain how the North American Free Trade Agreement helped the American textile industry!
    JimD

13. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Yes, I knew and remembered that. However, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to make the hell frozen over comment.

John E.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sorry JimD, Not my job to defend every aspect of the treaty. Every action of government and private industry results in winners and losers. What has to be weighed is the overall effect and free trade has always shown to be beneficial overall.

We live in a very global economy. The basic and repeatedly proven rules of production as setforth in Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" are now not just applicable regionally or nationally but globally. In every instance where governments have tried to block or bend these rules with things like tarriffs, it has proven to be, well, non-productive.

As economies mature, their cost of production goes up. Workers want to enjoy an enhanced life style and demand higher wages, land/facilities/materials become more costly due to scarcity caused by physical limitation, government regulation and depletion. And, nowdays capital can move worldwide with a click of a mouse button.

Japan is a good example of this. After WWII, it was the cheap producer, then it was Taiwan, then the Phillipines now China. The economic laws are just as real as laws of physics. To think you can produce socks in North Carolina cheaper than in China is just not realistic.

The textile industry in NC was not a victim of NAFTA, it was a victim of the laws of production.

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thats why you can buy an 18 inch color television for under $100 today. In 1971 when I bought my first one it was 385 bucks. Which was also my one months gross salary.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I side with JBrooks on this question. Open trade has helped the industries in the USA that can produce products efficiently, and has hurt industries that are not efficient.

The textile industry in the Carolinas and southern Virginia was nearly gone long before NAFTA. The Carolinas responded by attracting many jobs from the North East. If you want to see a lot of manufacturing jobs, go to Spartanburg/Greenville South Carolina. The best German automobiles and French automobile tires are made in Greenville SC. If a company is considering building a new plant in either Michigan or South Carolina, Michigan will always lose. Not because of labor costs but because of local, regional and state political support for the new plant. Michigan could do the same thing, but it will not.

Pat Ireland

17. Dennis Bigelow

Dennis Bigelow TS Member

I'm going to throw something out that will get some attention........we are quick to criticize and complain about a CEO who gets a multimillion dollar salary and maybe even a bonus [and who creates jobs]............but we don't seem to have a problem paying millions a year to someone who can hit a 20' jump shot??? Interesting??

18. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Ah golly gee, I wonder if the free trade agreement has anything to do with the price of oil? For crying out loud. Wake up some of you.

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

hoggy, yes. It has kept the cost of petroleum products down. We get a huge portion of our oil from Canada and Mexico.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content