1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do YOU determine what POI works best for you??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Yankee Bill, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

I think I pretty well understand the mechanics of checking and adjusting for POI at the patterning board. But, I was wondering how everyone who has set their guns to shoot to a specific POI, has determined that it is the optimum POI for their particular style of shooting, gun, gunfit, etc.? Is it just by when you are centering targets cleanly and consistantly?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
    YB

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Trial and error.

3. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

I set my gun to shoot neutral or 100% high, then went up and down from there until I could smoke all targets from all posts. I ended up at 18in high at 26yds. Steve Wolf

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

FIX the comb, choke and shell. Shoot 500 targets, recording the scores and making NO excuses (poor weather, the targets were bad, I had a runny nose, so I won't count that round). Figure the average. Raise the comb 1/8", shoot 500 targets with the same choke and shell , making NO excuses. Figure the average. If the new average is higher, raise the comb another 1/8" and repeat the exercise. When the average drops, drop the comb back 1/8" and shoot 500 targets and see if the average rebounds. All of this assumes that you've already standardized your hold points (horizontal & vertical), look points, and timing to the target.

If you're not willing to invest at least that much time, thought and money...if you can't resist making changes more frequently than that, then you'd might as well try to herd cats.

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have the trap set to throw straight away birds. Then I stand on post 3 and shoot until I am happy with hit pattern. I recently did this with my O/U to verify both barrels had the same POI. When I am happy with the adjustments, I start working my way out to the outside posts. I think this practice builds mind, eye and muscle memory. Just my 2cents.

JON

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have the trap locked down to throw straight away (rising) targets. Go to station 3 and "float" them off the end of the barrel. When I get the comb adjusted to the point I don't miss, I lock the comb in place and enjoy a round of trap. Works for me.

7. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Much like MDMike, I lock the trap house to throw straight aways. The birds tell the tale. At the patterning board with Full Choke I have my two guns set for 1" high at 13 yards which is about 3" high out there at 40 Yards. The bird looks to be just floating above my bead. I would not consider myself to be a fast shooter and we shoot at near sea level.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot Trap starting in 1961. Like many others at the time, I started with a Model 12 and shot with it for many years until I got a BT-99. Both guns had about a 70/30 POI. 25 years ago I bought the TMX used and it had a higher POI probably 8" or 9" high at 40 yards. My Handicap scores improved immediately with the TMX but Singles scores suffered for many targets until I learned how to shoot it. Many times since then I have experimented with raising the comb only to find out that 9" high at 40 yards is about right for me. I do see a little bit of rib between the beads. YMMV

9. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

Good POI. call for a target, you see it, follow it with your eyes, the gun goes bang, target turns to smoke, you smile.

10. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

Thanks guys, appreciate all your input.
    YB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.