1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you determine correct length of pull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a number of guns and have always been able to shoot them pretty well. I shoot skeet(all gauges) and trap(16yd) in the 90's and never thought much about length of pull. I've seen folks trying to shoot even the 1100's and the stock was too long for them and it definitely affected their shooting. I'm 5'10" and average build and can pick up an 1100, Bt99 or 390 and they feel fine but wonder if I change the length of pull if it will help my scores? So I would like for someone to tell me how length of pull is determined. Thanks Jackie B.

2. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Jackie.. you can get a "rough" guess by putting the butt stock in the bend of your arm and looking to see where your finger hits the trigger. Many things come into play for LOP.. how long your arms are is only part of it..

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Can you reach the trigger? How far is your nose from your thumb? Where is your cheek being placed on the comb? There are quite a few factors in play. The best way to tell if it is right is to shoot it and see if it is user friendly.

You can experiment by placing a spacer between the butt pad and the end of the stock, or putting on a thinner butt pad and see if your scores go up or down. HMB

4. Shooting Jack

Thanks for responses. On the BT99 I had considered lengthing and shortening the Graco to see if it made a difference. I just didn't know if there was a set manner at which you can determine the LOP. Jackie B.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It's easy to try longer by putting on a slip-on recoil pad. It's easy to try shorter by taking off the original recoil pad. 1 to 1 1/2 inches between your nose and your thumb is a good indicator. A pad in your vest or winter clothing can chage LOP. Mark

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jackson. You say you are 5'-10"? Shooot a standard lenght stock of 14.5 LOP

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What matters in determining the correct stock length is the length of your neck as the length of pull dictates where your head, which contains the gun's rear sight (your eye), will be on the comb. Longer necks need longer stocks; arm length has nothing to do with it.

I had a stock made to fit me by Wenig's and had a local stockmaker fit a rifle to my daughter-in-law - in neither case was arm length a consideration.

Ed

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you can't reach the trigger arm length matters. HMB

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

HMB, That belongs in the joke thread! :) LMBO

10. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Correct LOP is when there is about 1.5 inches between the end of your nose and the 2nd knuckle of your thumb. That gets your eye about as close as possible without recoil smacking your thumb into your nose.

Some people advise measuring the width of two fingers. Mount the gun and have a partner look from the side and lay their fingers across the stock.

Or, find Ed Yangchok (member on this board, northern NJ) and watch him fit a gun.

More info in Rollin Oswald's book "Stock Fitter's Bible."

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont use the elbow method- old trapshooters tale- no relation to reality

The most critical measurement is the length of your neck, assuming your neck is flexible

Then do you shoot head up or down

once you have that figured out- anywhere from a half inch from your thumb to probably 1.5 inches

most people have lops too long

Gene

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont use the elbow method- old trapshooters tale- no relation to reality

The most critical measurement is the length of your neck, assuming your neck is flexible

Then do you shoot head up or down

once you have that figured out- anywhere from a half inch from your thumb to probably 1.5 inches

most people have lops too long

Gene

13. Shooting Jack

Thanks everyone. It appears that a standard length stock does get me in that window for 1.5 inches between my nose and thumb. I'm still going to try adjusting the BT99. Jackie B.

14. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

It was always a matter of feel for me. I could tell almost instantly if the LOP was wrong.

15. APrice

APrice Active Member

Lengths of arms, lengths of necks,etc. is all BS. The correct length of pull is determined by your scores with that particular LOP. Why would anyone consider a LOP which is "correct" by internet experts' standards, but is not the one which leads to higher averages?

16. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I was once told by a gunstock fitter that putting the butt stock in the bend of your arm and looking to see where your finger hits the trigger will give you an extremely accurate measurement of the length of your forearm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

determining if length of pull is correct on trap gun

how to determine your length of pull

length of pull for trap