1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you deal clear your mind while shootin

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hubcap, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Wondering about the techniques you may use to clear your mind of negative thoughts and get into the "zone" while shooting in competition.

Personally, I tend towards a cluttered mind which typically causes me to lose some targets............especially if I've ran about 90 straight.

Hubcap

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do hope someone answers this question.

Pat Ireland

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try singing to yourself until you call for the target. Something upbeat or positive Keeping your mind occuppied should prevent any negative thoughts or distractions from affecting your performance. Try it. What have you got to lose.
    Just don't sing out loud.
    Mike Battista

4. redix

redix TS Member

Listening to the Buena Vista Social Club on my iPod helps.

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

good subject, this is my major proplem. i started off with two back to back 24 in handicaps at Pa State. This was my best start in caps ever and I fell apart because of stress, nerves or lack of total focus. I need to improve on this one.

6. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

A wee shot of.....

7. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

CTRL - ALT - DEL

38-01615

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

just tell yourself "one at a time" over and over again and remember that you are just shooting practice. motordoc

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Having a clear mind is VERY important. I have done some reading on the topic, and for the last three years used a technique. First off I do not use my system unless necessary. First and foremost I try to keep a clear mind and fight to do so the entire sub event. If it fails I use the catch word "one" and I repeat it as much as necessary until I call pull. Your mileage may vary but I recommend something to keep it simple [and short] to clear the mind. Shooting yesterday I went into "one" mode about 3-4 times per sub. Then into the shoot-offs where I almost used it for every mount. To be successful I believe that one needs to have this option.

GS

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

I think about shooting skeet and BahWHAMMOOO ... before ya know it the round is over and I've broken another 26 straight targets.

11. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I go over my pre shot routine in my head. "good foot position, hold point, bbl at the bottom of the window (skeet) head down and call for the bird. It took years for me to quit rushing my shot while on the pad.

I like the Robt Redford moive where he says to himself "clear the mechinisim".

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Eyes on target, eyes on target, eyes on target. Over and over again.

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

BTW ... when I shoot skeet I think about the easy shots of trap and BahWHAMMOOO, another 25 broken targets.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Duckman

I think that was Kevin Costner in "For Love of the Game."

15. Loyac

Loyac Member

zarathrusta Is right... Caffeine will keep you sharp. Other than that, try to visualize the bird in all its various trajectories. This will keep you calm and collected. John

16. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Get Lanny Basham's audio CD or book "With Winning in Mind". He also has a CD especially for trap shooters. Bob

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What was it "Stitch" Jones suggested in "Heartbreak Ridge"?

18. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

look staight ahead and focus on every target that comes out of the house. Looking behind or to the side makes me lose my concentration.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have found that I can put undo pressure on myself by thinking in terms of "having to" as opposed to "wanting to" in this case break the targets ... Phil Kiner teaches you to think in a positive manner of wanting to break the target and if you practice it will work ... Those who have the "Magic Rocks" from a few years back will find it much easier to leave the internal pressures and mind games in the club house but for those who do not try this method and see if it works for you ... You only have to give total consentration for a few seconds per target when your taking them one at a time which is the only weay they can be taken from a shooters standpoint ... Good Luck and good shooting ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

What Otnot said. When I am able to do it (sometimes, not always yet, but getting better), I don't focus until it's my turn. Then I go through Phil Kiner's Bottom's Up routine, and shoot the target. Got me a K-gun in a shoot off that way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.