1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you cycle your hulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BRAVO55, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRAVO55

BRAVO55 TS Member

Hello,

I cycle through my hulls just like you described. I have two 30gal. plastic trash cans. I pull the hulls I'm going to load out of one and when I return I just throw the empties in the other can. When I get to the bottom I rotate the cans and start over at the top. A 30gal. trash can holds around 2500 hulls.

Hope this helps,
    Randy

2. BMC

BMC Member

I mark my primers with a sharpie marker before I put them in the feeder. If they ever get mixed up I know that black is 1 time, red 2, green 3, blue 4, etc, etc.

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I use a Super X-1

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Good one Tex lol

Was going to tell him an old 303, but you beat me to it.

AJ100

5. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I mix my hulls up, so I don't know how many times they've been used, but because I have quite a lot, I can be very fussy about which ones I reload: every hull goes through a full visual inspection, and if it in any way would not look new after I load it, I chuck it before it goes into my MEC. I'm guessing that, on the average, I get about two reloads out of at least half of my hulls.

Porcupine

6. jptrapshooter

jptrapshooter Member

I have three tubs. Tub #1 is once fired. Tub #2 is good, reloadable hulls that have been reloaded at least once. Tub #3 is loaded for doubles and dump.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am anal too.

I start with about 1000 AA's (for my O/U), STS's (for my girlfriends 3901) and GM's (for registered).

I load them until they split, dome or the crimp edge cracks. When I get down to about 400 left I load them one last time and chuck them. And then start the process over again with a fresh batch.

The GM shells get loaded three times before they get downgraded to practice hulls.

Don

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As was said above, I run through several thousand once-fired hulls, dumping them into a trash can. Then I do it again. On the third, or fourth firing, depending on the hull, I load them as "kickouts" and put them in the can at the club. Why put good (and expensive) components in a marginal hull? A hull which is split at the mouth will not usually affect performance, but a tired hull that will not hold a crimp WILL.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Randy, this is one place I lose my anality. I shoot what's loaded and when I get home I just give them the eyeball test. Good ones go in a good sized box (double 700X can sized box) and that happens over and over until the number I want to load is short and I add some new ones. There are plenty of experts (truly) who will say my batch of once fired to 10 times fired are going to vary in speed and reliability but I just can't get that rule to come true with all the chronographing I've done. In fact, one test I did was 10 shots with once fired hulls hand wieghed shot and powder and then compared them against more once fired hulls cranked through the hydraulic as normal. Test 3 and 4 were repeats but with very well used, ugly hulls; #3 hand loaded and #4 zipped through the hydraulic. The winner of the four samples with the lowest standard deviation through the chrono was test sample #4, beat up, well used, ugly shells cranked through the hydraulic without any special care. I did see a suggestion that that sample and #3 did lose perhaps 5fps or so but I often see that variance within any test group and consider it unremarkable - for me anyway. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident in your operation....Bob Dodd

10. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mark your hulls thus. First reload mark from the center (primer) to the 12 o'clock position. Second reload 12 to six o'clock position. Third reload center to the 3 o'clock position. Fourth reload 3 to the 9 o'clock position. For the fifth reload (doubles for me) make no mark on the primer. A clean primer indicates that this hull has been reloaded five times. It doesn't if they get mixed or not. You can easily tell how many times each hull has been loaded.
    Mike Battista

11. mark54

mark54 Member

I load the old style AA's until they just barely hold the shot in anymore. Can't tell the difference between 1st loading & the 13th by the breaks.

Mark54 in Lititz

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Load them until they start to split....then load them a few more times and throw them away. LOL

JB=Jerry Beach (another hull whore) 8503917

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Just use the big wad boxes and mark them 1 through 5 (times fired) and use them for registered, and when they get to 6 or more just use them for practice. Easy system. OF course my boxes of reloads are also marked 1-6.

14. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

I use two large bins. Load out of the first and empty into the second one. When the first is empty reverse procedure. I also inspect each case as it goes into loader. Doesn't take but a second. If I can see light thru any part of the case from a crack it goes out.

Mike

15. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I have two ways of marking my reloads. I colos code the primers do to the fact I reload differnt sized shot. Green #6, Blue #5 Red #71/2, plain primer is #8. Then I mark from the primer to edge with black each time the hull has been reloaded. Do an inspedtion each time before I load load a hull. When the hull has been loaded 6-7 times they are thrown away.

16. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I shoot one gun and one load. The gun is a Rem 870 TA with a Monte Carlo stock and the 30” overbored step rib barrel from a Rem 870 TC Trap. The load is a Federal Paper 2 ¾ - 1 1/8- 7 ½, new or reload. I try to get as many reloads as I can from each new shell. I load 18.5 of 700X, Federal 209A primer and a Claybuster 12C1 equivalent (red) wad.

I shoot new at ATA events and keep the once fired hulls separate for reloading for turkey shoots. All other hulls go into target boxes.

I inspect each hull before reloading and pitch hulls with more than one burn through hole or weak crimp.

I usually reload 500-1000 shells per session and visibly inspect the completed shells before boxing. During reloading, hulls with weak sidewalls will display a bulge near the base. I pack these separate and mark and use for practice.

If you take care of your hulls, you can get three reloads or more.

I use 700X because it takes up less space in the hull and I can get a deeper crimp.

The older paper hulls, circa 1980, IMO were better hulls.

I have more confidence in a once fired reload than a new shell.

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Randy...... I agree with Bob Dodd, above. After shooting my reloads, I return them to the barrel when I get home. I reload my hulls until they are starting to split at the crimp at which time I load them for doubles and just drop them. I have enough once fired hulls to be able to throw a few hundred into the barrel once in a while to help replace the worn out ones I drop in doubles. I do, however, have a "thing" about my singles loads and my handicap loads. My singles loads are only "STS" hulls while my handicap loads are only "Nitro27" hulls. I do this so I can easily recognize which load is which. This method has served me well for many, many years so I see no reason to change anything now.......Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I mix them all. After I come back from the range, I give each shell a quick once over. If they pass the visual and finger pressure from the inside on the crimp (checking for a weak or split crimp) they go into the reload again bin. I don't care how many times the hull has been used if it passes the quick test. I generally load 500 to 1000 shells at one sitting.

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The last itme I dug down in the drum of empties, I found black AA's from the 70's. I guess I don't rotate the supply too often. Shoot them till they look like throw-aways and then use them for doubles.

Big Jack

20. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I load a batch of 300 to 500 shells in lots of 100. I'll reload these over and over again, culling out any with pin holes or worst. When I get down to the last 100 or 200; I reload these one last time and start a new batch.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.