1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you cook live lobster?????????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by vdt, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdt

vdt Active Member

i am getting a gift from a friend in Nova Scotia,he is sending me some live lobster on Monday ,have never cook live lobster could you help me out

2. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

If it were mine I would throw it in a big pot of boiling water seasoned with some old bay and maybe some lemon wedges. The water here in Wisconsin is not flavored! LOL!! It will turn bright red and should be done. A lot of it depends how big it is of course. Good luck sounds delish

3. wadshot

wadshot TS Member

big pot of water use generous amount of old bay two or three lemons bring to a rapid boil, throw in two lobsters when it comes back up to a boil boil 4 min for two lbs lobsters add 1 min per lb if bigger than two lbs. Get the butter and enjoy!

4. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I LIVE IN MAINE NEVER PUT ANYTHING IN THE POT BUT LOBSTHA !!!1ST BRING THE WATER to a boil gently put the Lobstha in the Pot turn down and cook until the Beauties turn red pull out clean, eat the meat with plenty of drawn butter now thats how we do it in Maine !

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I am not a huge fan of Old Bay either, so purely from a personal taste, I prefer to boil lobsters in salted water, about the same salinity as the ocean.

If weather permits, split them in half and toss them on the grill. Again, no seasoning needed, just butter. Yum!! :)

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Best lobsta ya ever had is boiled clean in wood fired sea water. Found this out 30 years ago when we did it that way on a Schoodic Point shore line. If you can't get clear Downeast sea water you might consida some sea salt, but that's it, fella!

Kip

7. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

yes, saltwater boil. do not wait for a "special night" to cook. Lobster should be alive when you dunk 'em.

man o man those ME lahhbstas are good.

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

YES! Many good memories of Maine and Nova Scotia on our honeymoon. Pickup camper and a month on the road. Nuthing in the pot but saltwater and the lobster. We really pigged out on them on that trip. Sure would like to do it again.

ctreay

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Just to ask a question,,,,,I assume you would use Sea Salt and not Iodized,,,,,,and what amount of salt to water????

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

DO NOT PUT IN a pot of BOILING WATER. Put about 2 inches of water in a large pot and boil the water hard. You want steam and not boiling water. I use old bay--about 1 tablespoon in the water. 7 minutes for the first pound and about 4 minutes for each extra pounds. Cut the bobster up the center and right in the head is the "sand sac" spread the lobster apart and stick a fork bear the head and remove the sac. Everything else is great to eat including the "green stuff" which is actually the eggs. Love the lobster. motordoc

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Baked stuffed lobstah is much better than just boiled.

Flip the lobster on it's back and with a long knife split it open but leaving the shell on the back intact. pop out the asck and save the roe. rinse it well. dice up some bread and fry in some butter and then add the roe. stuff the lobster with it and give it a squeeze of lemon. Bake until the meat is no longer translucent ... serve with drawn butter!

12. high 2

high 2 Member

Cooked over wood fired grill. My brother-in-law has a restaurant here in the small town in NW Oklahoma He stuffs them with jalapeƱo peppers and cooks them over hard wood. Man they are good.arry

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Vinny. steamed or boiled, salt or old bay, none of that makes a twit of difference. Cook the typical "chicken" lobster for about 10 minutes in boiling water or steam. I use my biggest pot, put a small stainless bowl inverted in the bottom, fill with water around the bowl, and bring the water to steam. Put the lobsters in about 2 at a time and continue to steam for about 10 minutes. If you cover the pot (I do) make sure you release the steam and notice that a major foam has developed that will over take the lid if not relieved. Knock the foam down with a cooking spoon. 9 minutes, to 12 minutes. It is not exact.

Chicken lobsters are generally what you get in the box. they are about 1-1/4 # each.

Rinse the cooked lobster in cold water just to rinse and not to cool, grasp the tail section and bust off from the body. Put the tail section down on your cutting board back down and take a decent chef's knife and split the tail in half length wise. the meat then pulls right out. But leave it in the tail for the recipient to pull out.

pull off the claws from the body, lay on the board, put your knife flat on the claw and use your other fist to smack down on the claw to crack it. Serve the split tail and cracked claws.

the arm meat kinda requires a nut crusher.

Butter and lemon, and some salt.

If they send you bigger lobsters buzz me up. I'll be around all day

715-441-9817

And if for some reason the lobsters come in not too lively, or even frozen, worry not, I've eaten many a dead lobster and they taste the same as a dead lobster after cooking.

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Use a really BIG pot - I like half water & half beer (the beer makes the meat a bit firmer).

I boil them, I do not steam them - I use what most people know as a turkey frier burner and pot (big - like I said)

Bring to boil. Drop in lobster. Return to boil for 7 ~ 9 minutes. Eat.

15. trapster100

trapster100 Member

I would NOT pound on the claws with my fist if they were hard shell bugs.

Click the link above.

16. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Vic, I can send the wife down to show you .... but you have to share with her. Bill Malcolm

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I would like to know who the first person was to discover one could eat a salt water ocean spider.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Don't forget to gut and clean him before boiling. ;-)

Hauxfan!

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Now Frank C obviously knows the subject, terrible beer taste's though. I'll take the steamers to the lobster. That used to be a staple 35 years ago at the Maine state shoot at Kittery Point.

20. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can be messy cooking them. I just go to a restaurant that has seafood buffet and have all the lobster I can eat for $54.95; don't even have to clean up afterwards. Twelve of them and a bottle of Santa Margherita and I'm ready for a nap. Can be a piggy sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.