1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you compensate for a heavy coat?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I shot yesterday with a sweeter and a winter coat. Shot very poorly. I never felt that the butt of the stock was properly seated against my shoulder. The gun did not feel right. What is the solution? Take off the winter coat and freeze? Don't shoot in cold weather?

2. jrton80

jrton80 Member

Moving to Florida 10 years ago from Ohio worked for me.....but as I remember it seemed to help to take (or adjust) 1/4" or so off the length of the stock. You may want to give either method a try as Florida could use more shooters. (LOL) Jeff Rickert

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

buy a "wind breaker" shooting sweater. Wear good LJ's and the sweater. Lose the heavy coat.

4. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Look into the coats worn by mountain climbers as they are looking for the lightest weight yet warm coat with the greatest anount of flexibility and freedom of movement. I bought a couple of coats made by Marmot that uses "primaloft" insulation that are the most comfortable coats made. The weight of these jackets are extremely light making them easy to wear for hours on the range.

Some examples of the types to which I refer are......

http://www.altrec.com/marmot/mens-baffin-jacket?sku_id=660792&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Froogle-_-Marmot-_-58857-660792&mr:trackingCode=CED1ED1C-9FC0-DE11-A84F-0019B9C2BEFD&mr:referralID=NA

I own one of these below and paid $69 for it on sale.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Marmot-Ellsworth-Insulated-Jacket-Mens/MAR1250M.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=MAR1527&mv_pc=r126

Marmot jackets are expensive but can be found a great discounts after the season.

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Here in OHIO..I have one butt pad for warm / and a shorter for winter garb !Works for me. 100 degrees down to -20 degrees.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I shoot with an underarmor turtleneck black shirt and a Storm jacket without the lining. Recently, I bought some leg warmers to put over my shirt sleeves (and under my jacket) for extra warmth without adding bulk to the shoulder area.

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have a HART adjustable LOP and pad hardware on my gun. In the winter it gets shortened about 1/4 to 3/8" and then I wear my jacket. I could shorten more with a thinner pad on the HART if I need to.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Have a different (smaller) recoil pad installed for the colder months.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Graco adj butt, screws in for shorter LOP in about 3 seconds.

HM

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bough a Columbia thermal coat from Penney's. I don't get cold except in the fingers , toes and ears and can stand anything else.Solution: Ears:muffs, Fingers: no gloves good enough without being bulky, Toes: chemicl heaters or over size pack boots.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's why some hunters like the telestock on AR15 carbines. It allows them to adjust the LOP for heavy clothes, or even different family members. Yet it's an evil "assault weapon" feature.

Not suggesting a CAR-15 stock, but there is hardware for adjustable butt plates for shotguns. Might be an idea.

12. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

If its really cold underarmor 3.0, thin but warm.

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, shooting in Alaska year around...I guess I'm qualified to comment.

I don't wear one. I wear three layers: A short sleeved T shirt next to the skin, a loose underarmour jersey style shirt (VERY thin) and a long sleeved T shirt over those two.

on top of that I put a nylon shell shooting jacket - NO insulation or padding. SInce I only have three very thin layers on, there's no bulk there.

Put one of those shake 'em up handwarmers in your pants pocket...its keeps the boys warm, if you get my meaning, and heats up your thigh right where all the blood circulates past. Keeps you warm all over.

Put a glove on your forearm hand. Between posts, put the trigger hand in your pocket and get your fingers warm on the handwarmer.

Works well...and I shoot down to 10 below like that. If its colder than that...I add a glove to the trigger finger.

jeff

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "...it keeps the boys warm...." LOL

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

JeffP I always wondered why you were playing pocket pool between shots.

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Between POSTS, Otnot, between POSTS. I'm older now....I don't have the recovery / turnaround time I used to have when I was 17.

The REAL question is why am I doing it in July? HEHEHEH.

17. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I don`t, I miss.

Tom R.

18. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Tomc66, I normally shoot poorly so I look forward to winter and heavy coats so I can use it as an excuse.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Halfmile hit it on the nose...have a good adjustable setup...and take the time to set it up with two states of "tune"...a winter and summer setup...take accurate measurements and try to wear the same clothing you did the tuneup with

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Polartec makes a variety of stuff to layer on. Thermal underwear to fleece jackets. Light weight and very warm. Not cheap though. No need for heavy coats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.