1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you clean ported barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870compman, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870compman

870compman TS Member

What happened was I purchased a nice skeet shotgun with ported barrels. The 20ga tubes were ported also. After shooting I put the gun in my safe and didn't clean it. A few weeks later I got the gun from my safe and started to clean it.

I had a hard time getting the 20ga tubes out without damaging them. What I think happened was the powder from the shells blew around the 20ga ports causing them to bond in the barrels.

My question is how do you clean the ports? I have heard of poeple using "Mineral Spirits" and a soft brush.

Will Mineral Spirits damage the blueing?

Sincerely,

Dale Wolff

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Go to your Mercury outboard dealer and get a can of "Power Tune". It is around 13 bucks and does a good job on carbon. soak and leave sit, and then go after the ports with pipe cleaners or other suitable mechanical means.

Rifle guys use M-Pro-7 on carbon, and it's supposed to be effective too.

But I like locally avilable stuff. If you can find the old GM 105002, the non spray carb cleaner, buy it. I am hoarding mine.

Lots of stuff works on carbon build up, you just have to find what suits you.

HM

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have never seen ported tubes. Who made them? HMB

4. sts1100

sts1100 Member

The few that I have seen the 12 ga barrels were done by Pro Port Then Briley drilled holes to port the 20 ga tubes.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like a set up that is asking for trouble. HMB

6. APrice

APrice Active Member

WD40 and a soft non-metallic brush works for me.

BTW, clean your shotgun BEFORE you put it in the safe.

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I don't bother! I keep hoping they corrode shut! Tom Rhoads

8. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

9. 870compman

870compman TS Member

The shotgun is a Rottweil skeet. They say this shotgun was made for tube sets. I purchased it used.

Dale Wolff

10. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Dale,

You can spend tons of money on all kinds of fancy cleaners.. but you'll do just fine with mineral spirits and a brush. I purchased a 3 gal parts cleaner at Big Lots and I use it for all my gun cleaning. Has a pump with a hose.. I stand the barrels up in the tub and let it soak with the hose pointing at the ports for a few minutes.

Good luck
    Jerry B

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

" They say this shotgun was made for tube sets. "

Does this mean the 12 GA barrel is a "carrier" barrel ? Some of these are not meant to be shot by itself.

Anyway, with ported sub gauge tubes, you need to take out the tubes and clean the carrier barrel after shooting if you don't want the tubes to get stuck in it.

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Pastry tip cleaners. Comes in all sizes. About 25 cents. Or pipe cleaners.

Wayne

[​IMG]

13. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

i have never had ported bbls, but wouldn't pipe cleaners and hoppes #9 work, just a thought

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's usually the plastic that messes things up. MEK works Methyl Ethyl keytone
    Joe

15. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

"<I>i have never had ported bbls, but wouldn't pipe cleaners and hoppes #9 work, just a thought"</I>

The carbon crud in my barrel ports is hard like coal. It shreds the fuzz off pipe cleaners. The port brushes don't take any crap from port carbon; they get it OUT>

Mike K

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

All this grief and extra work over silly little holes drilled in shotgun barrels for no apparent reason. What an amazing marketing hoax.

-Gary

17. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

"<I>All this grief and extra work over silly little holes drilled in shotgun barrels for no apparent reason.</I>"

If I didn't have to clean the ports occasionally, I probably just sit around in the evening swilling beer and writing mindless drivel on internet talk boards. May as well have something productive to do!

Mike K

18. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Any welding supply will have a torch tip cleaner. It works great for port hole cleaning.

TD

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A tooth brush and mineral spirits works just fine - fast and effective with minimal elbow grease and no fussing over each little hole. This is also the lowest cost cleaning method I know of. It won't hurt the blueing but it does remove all the protective oil so wipe everything down with an oil patch after the cleaning is done.

I like the idea of a circulating/filtered a parts cleaner like JerryB describes, I might have to check into that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleaning a ported barrel

how to clean a handgun ported barrel
how to clean port barrel
how to clean ported barrels on a shotgun
how to clean ported shotgun barrels
how to clean the ports on a ported barrel
is it harder to clean a ported barrel shotgun
o clean the ports on a shotgun barell