1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy RECYCLER'S Lead Wheel Weights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ROB B, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

it is hard to find RECYCLER'S Lead Wheel Weights in FL. I need 1000 lbs. or even 2000 to 3000 lbs.of wheel Lesd . ROB

2. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

If you plan on purchasing wheel weights from a salvage dealer be prepared to pay top dollar for the material -- typically they will pay you 10 cents a pound for scrap Lead and ask 75 cents a pound if you want to buy it from them -- I have found that the trying to find reasonably priced Lead is tough going right now -- I would not invest in a Shot Maker with the availability of Lead drying up and the price of scrap material being what it is

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The problem with finding wheel weights at recyclers is

1. a metal recyle place is already paying someone for the lead. ex the closest scrap metal place pays .30 per pound lead sells to me for .70
    2. a Auto salvage yard unless they are taking off rims and tires generally do not try to save wheel weights, gets factored in the total scrap weight of the vehicle.
    3. Aut o salvage yards tend to sell out in mass quanities early. I find going to your local repair shops is my best bet. I get most for free, well the price of coffee or pizzas anyway. I bring buckets with my name and number on them helps a bit. on average Im paying about free to .30 a pound. Unfortunatly The tire supply places are starting to offer lead buy back programs. 2 places i get lead from are already starting to use the non lead alternatives. Plus the new wheel balancers are useing less wheight over all to balance a tire. We just got a new Hunter road force balancer, we balance 4 new tires on old balancer, then rebalanced on New hunter. Old balancer used 11.5 oz total for 4 wheels, new balancer 4.75oz for 4 wheels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.