1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy an expensive gun from out of state?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I sure as hell am not going to send "funky monkey" a check for 6 or 7 thousand dollars and hope it shows up at my FFL.

So how do you guys do it?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You insist on the seller using an FFL licensee for shipping, and you send the money to him.

These guys will not take a chance on serious legal problems just for one deal.

HM

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

"Funky Monkey"? Hmmmmm....is he in Florida? Give us another clue.

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

That was just an example. I'm sure Mr. Monkey is an honest person :)

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I would not send "funky monkey" money either

6. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

After a lot of discussion and a telephone conversation, I bought a gun from a guy in Michigan. Sent him a Cashier's check and he sent the gun to my FFL. No issues. After talking to him on the phone I felt confident he was on the up and up. I think talking to the seller by phone is important to get a sense of the person you are dealing with.
    Alan

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If his name is Jesse Marx run like hell. Noted for gun and auto internet theft.

located in Texas.

HM

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

For a big ticket gun, get on an airplane, and pick it up yourself. I took a Bank check. The seller picked me up. We went to the range. I shot the gun, gave him the check and flew back with my new toy. For a couple hundred in airline tickets it takes the worry out of the transaction.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Picking up a gun in another state from an individual without going through a licensed dealer and having the background check is a felony. Don't do that.

10. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I bought an expensive MX-2000 from a guy named David on this site once. He turned out to be a pretty nice guy...even gives out French onion soup recipes.
    I sent him the money before I got the gun.

Rick in MT

11. swatman201

swatman201 Member

Ok, since I live in the Florida Keys, "I'll Bite" <*)((((<

How do you travel with a shotgun?
    Does it cost extra?
    Is it safe for my gun?
    Does it require a special case?
    Does it come out on the baggage belt with all the other luggage?

Thanks,
    Joe Isnardi
    I guess you can tell I don't have much expreience with the real world!

I have traveled with fishing rods!!

12. rwtii

rwtii Member

I have purchased a couple of Perazzis through Gun Broker. In each case I sent cashiers checks and had the guns sent to an FFL. It happened. Gunbroker guarentees the sale. Have whoever is selling it to you put it up with a buy it now and bid that and buy it. I bought from people who had good feedback. I took a risk and it worked.

13. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

First I look to see if he's a regular poster on TS, Gun Broker or Guns America. I check with other folks he says he's done business with. I make it a point to have a few emails back and forth and a few phone conversations. If all this checks out I send money to HIS FFL and I talk to the FFL about the condition of the gun before he gets the money. If all this works out and I get that warm and fuzzy feeling we strike a deal.

Trust your gut. If it feels bad, smells funny or is too good to be true......walk away.

14. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Put his name up and get references. Ask him for a photo of some specific part of the gun that no one would have a file photo of. Give him several phone calls and feel it out. Postal money orders help on your end too. If you want the seller to ship it from an FFL be willing to put up an additional $40 or so for the cost on the sellers end(and offer to do so). If you are fortunate enough to be buying something from someone who has sold lots on here with no problems reported, you are probably ok. Good luck JW

15. RayReys

RayReys Member

You buying anything special brad!?

16. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I shot a MX2000 at Triple B last week at the Christmas party.

Now I "need" one :)

Know anybody that wants to buy a 525?

17. shot410ga

ou 3200: The guy was a individual seller, not a business. And there is nothing illegal about buying a gun out of state from a private party.

18. drgondog

drgondog Member

I'm with daddiooo - I add to the checklist an eBay track record.

Bottom line is that I have been burned (once) when I purchased a Mirage barrel that was mis represented as to condition on eBay (before ebay no longer enabled sales on barrels) and was not able to get my money back.

Any honest individual that wants to sell an expensive item should not object if you direct him to a gun dealer with a good reputation in his area and agree to a discussion with the dealer.

Back in the day, that might have been Jaqua, Etchen, Pachmyar, SW Shooter, Buckhorn, etc. Now? Only from someone I trust or one link removed - someone who knows somone I trust.

I will say that if it is an 'unbelieveable deal', it probably is to be approached with caution.

And yes, if you fly or drive out of state to another state, the 4473 must still, by law, must filled out via an FFL transaction. I suspect many of us have purchased or swapped shotguns while in another state, or with a visitor from another state - but after 1968 we would have broken the law. In CA you have to go through the process within your own state.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

shot410, you'd better brush up on the law. Private individuals cannot legally sell a gun across state lines while in-state face to face transactions are perfectly legal. Not only that you cannot legally ship your gun to a private individual across state lines through common carrier. You can ship it to a repair service but that's it. Of course, you can do anything if you don't get caught.

As an FFL dealer I cannot legally sell a handgun across state lines unless I also go through an FFL!!

20. shot410ga

I believe that is what I said: A face to face transaction with a NON-FFL holder is not illegal anywhere that I know of, with maybe the exception of California or Illinois. But, then lots of guns change hands at the Grand between private parties face to face,so? I mean, go to any big Trapshoot or gun show out of your state, and private transactions take place everywhere. And you can transport you gun(s) home anyway you prefer that is not already prohibited, including an airplane as long as it is declared. If I'm wrong I'll admit it, but in this case I don't think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.