1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy a gun over the internet?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ke4yyd, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Jul 15, 2006
    I will probably buy a shotgun from an individual in another state soon. The value is about $2500. We do not know each other. How do others make arangements for payment, shipment and trial period.
  2. capvan

capvan Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Everybody does this a little different. The most important thing I do is get a phone number and call them to discuss things over the phone. You want to call them, don't let them call you. You can even ask for a reference to call.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Be very careful.

Never bought one from the net but reading some of the threads posted here problems could arise.

Some people advertise things not quite what they are.

People on this site seem to know guns and their true condition.

Good luck....Gerald
  4. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Nov 21, 2009
    In 35 years of Shotgun News, Gun List, and later internet I have never lost on a gun transaction, but have known a few that have. The industry standard is in favor of the seller as usually certified funds up front, 3 day inspection is about standard and shooting or non-shooting. Who pays shipping should be agreed on in advance. Usually the buyer pays the shipping both ways. Photos have really helped on line transaction. I may get burned sometime, but I will continue to deal online. My rule is if the guy is overly cautious, he may well be the dishonest one. Good luck.
  5. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Mar 7, 2009
    I sold my first one recently and it went smooth. I think I worried about it more than the buyer.

1) Make Sure That You Want It!

Don't expect to send it back, if you don't like it for whatever reason. Seasoned buyers and sellers will disagree with me, but it's going to be hard enough moving it from his hands to yours let alone from your hands to his. I had an ffl that I'm friends with to help with the process, but do you?

2) I agree with bruce call the person and make sure of the price and condition. I believe communication is the most important part of the transaction.

3) If he's a seasoned seller on TS, check his previous sells for an indication of what to expect. You will find some of the best folks in the world on TS.

There are probably more opinions to come, but it's like buying or selling anything be honest, open, and upfront.

My 2 Cents,
  6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    references or no sale period. Be careful even with cashier checks as the phony checks are out tthere
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.