1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you break this bad habit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I have developed a real bad habit of moving my gun before I see the target...I really noticed it yesterday when I called for a bird and the bird never came out of the house but my barrel started to move in the direction I was anticipating it to go....I also noticed on one target my barrel starting to move in the opposite direction of the bird I called and I had to bring my barrel back to the direction of the target causing a big barrel wag...My scores are suffering because of it! Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to break this?

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Call for tgt with eyes closed. Get a friend to pull for you and give you delayed targets.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Luckyman,

Get someone to pull for you (manually) and let them decide when to trip the swith after you call for it. A couple of rounds of this and you should start settling down and patient enough to see the bird first.

I generally do this a couple of times a year just to prevent this from happening.

ss

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I had the same problem, and I credit AveragEd for fixing it. In one of his columns, he stated he tells himself to "wait for it". I have adopted that as my mantra, and I shoot my best when I am able to do it consistently. Good luck.

LA in MA

5. Rich V.

Rich V. Member

Shoot a couple of rounds and do not call for any of the targets. Have someone pull each target after you are set. This way you will not "anticipate" the target's flight. Worked for me...

Rich V...

6. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Rich V that sounds like a real good exercise to help me break this...Thank you all for your suggestions!

7. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Nothing would eventually raise overall scores more than going to a 0 to 2 second delay on the voice calls thus forcing everyone to see the bird before moving the gun.

8. ABH

ABH Member

Luckyman,

Do not watch the guy ahead of you shoot his target. If he gets a hard right, you will naturally expect a farely straight away or hard left target. You will begin anticipating what targets you will be presented with. This will lead to premature gun movement and hastened swings if you guess wrong.

ART H.

9. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

Had that problem not to long ago,get someone to slow pull you for a round and it will help you from swinging to early.

Jordan Dekker,FRGC Member

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You developed this bad habit from anticipation of angle, possibly fearing it?

Trust your eyes more than instinct and have the patience to SEE the target first, then attack!!

Hap

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've been caught doing it myself occassionally. I just focus on making sure I don't move the gun until after I've seen the bird. It's an easy mistake, at least for me, to make when you're in the rhythm of things and not focusing on every aspect of your game.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

You can get rid of the bad habit by developing a very good habit. Concentrate of seeing the bird clearly as it leaves the house. If you are thinking about only seeing the bird, you will not move the gun until you see the bird.

Pat Ireland

13. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

I had this issue for a few times out. I adjusted my hold down lower so I could see the target come out above my barrel.

14. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Get 6or7 paper plates and number them 1-7. Tape them to the wall at random, with a tape player call out differant numbers at random. ex. 6 don't move the gun until you see that plate 3 and so on. If you don't have a tape player have soneone call out the numbers. This will get you to look hard for the given target.

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Take a clinic from Britt Robinson....he'll "fix" your bad habit in his own special way....and make you a better shooter all around....

16. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Like rhymeswithorange said, get someone to pull for you, and give you slow pulls. Works like a charm.

EE

17. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Lucyman,

One of the features of the Ventriloquist voice release is a "Bad Puller" delay setting. The Bad Puller setting will give you random release from .1-.4 seconds The Normal setting releases target approximately .2 seconds after you call pull. Using a Ventriloquist with the Bad Puller is a great practice aid, and will very shortly break you from moving the gun before the target appears.

Michael Goines

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ditto what Ljutic73 stated.

Britt will break your "fudgin'" habit.

WW

19. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Electric dog collar around your leg. Have your wife operate the switch. Cure that baby in no time.

just don't get to liking it. hahahaha

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.