1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW DO U KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME 4 A NEW GUN?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HOW DO U KNOW WHEN IT

HELLO:
    I know shooters who stick with the same gun regardless of their scores. i also know shooters who look for a new gun everytime they shoot a bad score. the great remington pro D.Lee Braun once said" don't place the blame on the wrong doorstep when you shoot a poor score" so my question is, when do you know it is time to start looking for a new gun?
    steve balistreri

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

when the old 1 goes off b 4 u pull the trigger

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Steve. You'll shoot better scores with a 1100 than your venrable 870.

1100 or 11-87. Get one wiht chokes.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its when the big hand on the clock is pointed at any number between 1 and 12

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The "Magic Gun" is out there..... as an avid target shooter, it's your moral imperative to seek until you have found it!

Curt

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

well...

On singles and handicap I started with an 870 field gun, then went to a 391, then a Browning XS sporting, then a Bt-99, then an XT, then a cynergy classic Trap, back to the bt-99 and then after a lay off due to being sick this summer dug out the 870 and found that I shot none of them better than the 870 and nothing was more comfortable for me to shoot than the 870. The others are all now gone. Now wasn't that an expensive lesson.

Why did I fool with those others... mostly from other folks saying I needed to shoot a "real trap gun"

Doubles I wasn't quite so dumb... Started that with a 525 sporting clays gun and after a short stint with that evil XT I had have stuck with the 525 sporting clays gun.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

HOW DO U KNOW WHEN IT

When it has to be cleaned. Like in the old days when the ash tray in the car was full. When your Dr. says you got six months to live. When you're 80 & you want a gun with a lifetime warranty. When you make AA27AA. When running 100's becomes boring.

Phil Berkowitz

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Phil:
    you said" when running 100's become boring" i know a few people who have changed guns exactly for that same reason. they wanted to get a new gun, liked tuning the new gun in. a friend of mine who was a pretty good shooter once said if you want a new gun, give the old one to a friend to keep for 3 months for you, no matter how much you beg him for your old gun back, that he will not give it back to you for atleast 3 months so you can see if you can really shoot the new gun. how many of us have traded in a great shooting gun, than after we find out the magic has worn off the new gun, that we can't get our old gun back.
    steve

9. turbobike

turbobike Member

Perfect time is when the wife wants to remodel...spend the damn money before she gets a chance too....:)

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i am not married to a gun- altho i do keep some for sentimental reasons- but you just have that feeling!! i personally like holding differant guns and finding and shooting them, probably more than i like good scores.-- i asked frank hoppe last year in tuscon , about a differant new model of trapgun-- he looked at me with a perplexed look. i said to him , " you dont gun shop"?- i got to thinking about that, when is the last time you have seen a vender tent, full of all-americans???????--------in referance to dropping the 870 for something better, i ran into my exwife and had a feeling of momentary comfort-THEN, it occured to me ,why i dropped her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Elk guide

Elk guide TS Member

Before I buy any gun I go and ask the the man in the mirror if I deserve a new gun. He has never let me down.

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

When I see a trap gun I like, I buy it. Usually good for
    one a year. It has nothing to do with how I shoot. I just
    like good trap guns.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

HOW DO U KNOW WHEN IT

You only get one chance in life, no do overs---if it makes you happy, go for it.
    Just ask Tiger Woods.

Phil Berkowitz

14. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

When my eyes glaze over looking at shiny metal and high figured polished wood and I can't remember the brand of the gun I am currently shooting.

15. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

As the old saying goes: How many guns does a trapshooter need? The answer: just one more.

16. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

As the old saying goes: How many guns does a trapshooter need? The answer: just one more.

17. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

When your gun breaks down often enough that you loose confidence it. I started with a Valmet 412 and loved it. After 50,000 rounds it broke so often I could not shoot a weekend with out something breaking. I traded up to a K-80 and have been shooting that for the last 20 years. It is most likely the last trap gun I will ever buy. Other than that you don't need a new gun you just want a new gun.

Robert Malmstedt

18. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I think it is time for a new gun when I want one.

19. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

When you have the money.

20. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

When you see it, You'll know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.