1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do U keep a coin finish gun looking good?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by turbonick, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbonick

turbonick Member

I have a coin finish gun which gets darker by the day then turns black. Is there something that can be done while normally cleaning the gun? What about a soft tip dremel? What do you guys use?

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Gun oil

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Try Flitz polish for guns. It'll help shine your receiver and it won't harm bluing. After polishing and buffing by hand, wipe all areas with a quality gun oil. Do not store your gun in a case! Cases have a tendancy to attract and hold moisture. Flitz can be purchased at Brownell's and most gun stores stock it as well.

Good luck,
    Steve

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Personally, I would not use Flitz or any other polishing compound...not rouge, not semi-chrome, or any of the other fine polishing pastes. Coin finish is usually an acid etched finish and I would not want to polish that finish off (used to be that they would case color then polish off the color leaving a coin or french gray finish...now mostly acid etched).

My personal recommendation is Never Dull. What you are describing is tarnish, not corrosion (i.e. no pitting or rust). Never Dull will take that off without any abrasives...works reeeeeeal good in many applications.

This link is to Amazon, but its sold at a zillion places on-line and in brick and mortar stores.

If you keep it well oiled, it shouldn't tarnish so bad...what kind of gun?

http://www.amazon.com/Basch-Never-Dull-Metal-Polish/dp/B0000AXNLU

5. turbonick

turbonick Member

Thanks for all the information! I'm trying to keep it well oiled, and I'm not storing it in the case anymore. It's a K80. Thanks again!

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I had a Gold Super Scroll Coin for 15 years. I kept it properly serviced. I sold it a month or so ago, and the buyer wrote me and said it looked new. It was NOT a safe queen, but was a very expensive back up for a better grade gun.

Keep it lubed, and wearing gloves might help. I wear Gungloves year round, and have for years.

I have used Ballistol for many years. I think it is the best for all around protection and lubrication.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- I have had good success with wax on wood stocks and less success with wax on the metal parts. My personal preference is for a harder automotive wax on guns. I have used a lot of the softer wax you mentioned to coat nails and screws before putting them into hardwoods. It is a very useful product to have around the shop.

Pat Ireland

8. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

NEVER DULL !!!!!

9. jbshep

jbshep Member

Beretta recommends Boeshield.
    Leaves an undetectable film on the metal.
    I have been using it for a year with good results.
    Sears carries it; so does Brownell's
    - Brad

10. guncase

guncase TS Member

When I was a kid, we would break open a thermometer and catch the mercury in it,, Put some on a cloth and polish coins. Really made them shine up. Would this work on a gun??????? Disclaimer>>>> Mercury has been found to be harmful to humans>>>>> Paul

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just for aftershoot wipedowns I used the Birchwood Casey lead away rags meant to clean revolver cylinder faces

12. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

These Cape Cod polishing cloths clean up the silver nitride finish on my XT's receiver beautifully. Rolex jewelers use these to clean & polish stainless, 18 kt gold & platinum watch parts, so I figured I'd give it a try on the silver nitride, and it works great. Definitely worth $5 or $6 bucks to try it out on a coin finish! - JoeBerg

13. turbonick

turbonick Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I got some of the Never Dull and have the Cape Cod polishing cloth on order. I used a cotton ball sized piece of the Never Dull and after rubbing it on the receiver it turned a white towel green and black! That stuff really works! And the gun is good as new. I think the $5 can will last me at least a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleaning a coin finished receiver

coin finish shotgun

coin finished
firearm coin finish maintenance
how to clean a silver nitrate receiver on a gun
polishing a silver nitride receiver
restoring coin finished reciever

what is a revolver coin finish