1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do the lefty's shoot a Model 12 for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

How do the lefty

What do lefty's do with a Model 12 at the trap line.

Whta is the drill, assuming you want to catch the spent shell before it hits the ground, from the time you fire to the time you are ready to fire again?

Thank you

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am left handed & shot a model 12 for years. I would take a shell out of my shell pouch on my right side on my hip and place it in the chamber. After I shot, I would put my left hand over the chamber as I slowly opened the gun to catch the hull. I then would drop the empty hull in my bag on my left hip.
    Steve Balistreri

3. trapman69

trapman69 Member

Slide your right hand to very back of forearm open action and catch with right hand as bolt opens nothing to it actually easier than if I shoot right handed.
    Yes I shoot all guns left handed the only ones I wont shoot are autos. Some will say its fine whatever I don't want that in front of my face. Tom R

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

I just reach over the gun with my left hand and catch the empty as it is ejected. No problem.

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Once upon a Time !!
    I found it difficult to switch from right-handed gun to left-handed gun.
    from a left hander.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. dshot

dshot Member

I have seen lefty's turn the gun upside down, than eject and catch the hull when it's ejected.

7. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

It's really very difficult, it's right up there with measuring the size of every shot pellet in every bag. If you have to think about it you better just sell me all your model 12's at least the good ones so I can shoot them lefty for you. Seriously though, the other guys here hit it right on it's not really a big deal. I'm a lefty and i shoot both rh autos and pump guns for sporting clays all the time, even held the state sporting clays pump gun champions title a few times. Make sure you always wear good eye protection and have fun. You're supposed to look at the target while you're shooting any how if you see the spent hull coming out of the gun, you probably missed because you were looking in the wrong place

8. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I tried it with a snap cap at home.
    Left hand under the receiver to catch the shell and pump slowly with left hand worked okay.

My technique, however, was not perfect. Looks like I will need to practice a lot at the range. Darn!

9. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Put your left hand over the receiver and catch as described by Steve Balistreri. Gary Owen

10. johnpe

johnpe Member

I once did the reverse! Several years ago I was doing a project in the Pittsburg area and shot trap at the Pittsburg Gun Club using a rented left hand Remington 870. I'm right handed. Beginning the second weekend, I asked for the left hand 870 because I found it easier to use than my M-12. I put the shells on my left hip and my hull bag on my right. I loaded the gun from the shell bag, caught the spent hull with my right hand over the top of the action after pulling the trigger, then put the hull in the hull bag. It could be done faster than writing about it.

Johnpe

11. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

The same way we shoot 31s and 870s..LOL.. I rolled the gun 'til the ejection port was up, caught the empty in my left hand, put the next live shell in the hole and rolled the gun back, closed it when it was my turn to shoot. I've shot skeet with both pumps and autos, rarely do I see the empty in front of my eyes..

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.