1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do the CMT lenses work

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hrosik123, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Ordered a set of Randolph CMT lenses. Was wondering if it was a good investment?

2. dukcall

dukcall Member

They work great,you need a clear sky,no clouds,they really bring out the orange target color,if there even one cloud in the sky i change them.

3. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Thanks a lot, Dukcall

4. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Let me jump in. I got a pair for Christmas. They are very dark lenses. Out of the box, I was amazed at how anything orange or red just became a ball of bright red fire when viewed through the lenses. Tried them right away on my home club. What a disapointment. We have an all trees background about 80 yards out. I couldn't even see the birds. Everything was so dark I was sure it was a waste of money. Fast forward to a shoot on a cloudless sunny day at a club with an open background. It was just amazing at how well I was seeing the targets. Bright red targets that just hung in the air. I have only been using them when the conditions are right, being bright sunny days. I think you will need to try them on different conditions to find out what works for you. Good luck

Gary Rickard

5. dukcall

dukcall Member

Gary is correct,clear bright sky is when they are the best,sorry i should have told you that,great website.

6. dukcall

dukcall Member

Gary is correct,clear bright sky is when they are the best,sorry i should have told you that,great website.

7. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

well worth the money then? Appreciate the feedback

8. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Everyone's eyes are different. My CMT's work exceptionally well with tree backgrounds and cloudy days. My eyes are very light sensitive so I appreciate the dark lens.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Little late to be asking?

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

When it is a bright sunny day there is not a better lens to bring out the color of orange. I have tried them all and some I thought was the chit until I got my CMT lens and believe me, there are no close seconds.

11. Barry

Barry Member

Best thing since sliced bread! As said above they are for shooting against a bright sky (only). They amplify red/orange rather than creating a contrasting color like standard lens do.

BTW, in addition to a bright sky, they only work w/ orange birds! If you are shooting green birds they are not the best choice.

Barry

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Bright sunny skies they are the best, some of you w/ very sensitive eyes to brightness may find them to be of help. They were the CATS MEOW in Las Vegas.
    none of my other lenses were as good as the CMTs there. I have at least 6 different shades of lenses, and I have Rx lenses, Dark Orange, lighter orange and lighter yet orange, Clear, Dark Plum, and Missouri Specials from Custom Sportswear and Optical.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I would imagine you look through them like regular glasses?..thats my guess

14. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Silver, how is your post any way related to the quality or performance of CMT's?

hrosik123, seems to be looking for some positive reinforcement, for a case of post purchase despair or dissent.

I don't own the CMT's but I have looked through them and I will second everything said about them being awesome on bright sunny days especially with an open background. They are pricey, but think about how many times it is one bird that puts you in or knocks you out of the money.

On a cautionary note, I read something about them loosing their orange/red enhancing capabilities over time, especially if they are exposed to light or sunlight excessively. I presume Randolph will recommend keeping them covered when not in use, but you may want to do some checking on the proper care of them.

John E.

15. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I LOVE them on bright sunny days, expecially with all the white snow covering the ground. ONE thing I did learn was to put my spare lense case in my pocket. If the sky changes, the lenses didn't work out well for me. A quick lense change is sometimes needed.

16. VNVET

VNVET Member

My condolences on buying the Ranger. Should have bought the Decot instead.

Jim

17. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

I have had these lenses for several years now and will jump on the train with the others that on bright sunny days with out much back ground other than blue sky they work great. I did have a problem with mine, last spring when I got them out one day to shoot some practice they were all spider webbed inside not the glass it must be in the membrane inside or something? no idea the cause other than maybe the cold they had been in the console of my truck on and off again during the winter. Anyway I took them back to the dealer where I bought them and they replaced them in about a week when they had confirmation Ranger was sending a replacement pair, I swear the color is a little different than my original ones but I don't have them to compare.

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Red deficient, works for me in many light conditions from full sun to partly cloudy... never a regret.

Jay

19. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

your gonna luv em!!! the target has never looked so good!!!

20. WWB

WWB Member

I bought a pair--Ranger's I might add--2 and 1/2 mos ago--we've had clear days since --once in a while--but never on a day when a range was open.
    But even on cloudy dys the red hulls laying on the ground really show up--the targets not so good. But I have read and talked to a lot of guys who love 'em so don't worry about it. Plus I really like the guy at Morgan optical who helped me.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.