1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do test for cross dominance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I am two eyed but I wonder if my left eye takes over sometimes.. How can I check for this??????What is the remedy? Monty

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Testing for cross dominance can be a tricky thing. My husband is cross dominant when shooting open sights at rapidly-moving targets but is correctly dominant when shooting either open sights or scoped optics at "stationary" targets, not matter their distance.

I am cross dominant at distances over about 30 feet but correctly dominant at closer distances.

Carol Lister

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What Carol said! Many shooters - and I'm one of them - can "pass" the old finger-pointing eye dominance test but put targets in the air and all bets are off. And changing to shooting left-handed at my age (62) and with my arthritis? That's why there are some shooters who simply cannot shoot two-eyed.

There once was a gentleman who badgered me repeatedly about taking his clinic, saying that he could change me completely to two-eyed in one weekend. When I asked for a money-back guarantee, he started with the "ifs" and "maybes."

Ed

4. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Ed, was that to change you to a two eyed shooter or to a two eyed shooter that could actually hit something? lol

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There IS a difference, isn't there?

Ed

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Always read the fine print!

8. jimsw

jimsw Member

I'm not sure you can test for cross dominance, but you can easily determine your dominant eye.

I am a right handed, right dominant eye shooter. For a number of years I shot one eye. I was a rifle shooter and always shot one eye. I shot one eye decently. Made the 26 yd line had a few years of 97+ averages.

I was then persuaded to shoot 2 eyed. Worked for a while and then suddenly went down the drain. The first clue was "mystery misses". How did I miss that bird etc. I reviewed Phil Kiner's DVD and I had the symptoms. This winter I took his clinic and he immediately picked up the cross dominance problem. We tried a small amount of tape, a lot of tape, black tape and finally closing one eye.

It was really bad in handicap and near the end of the day when I was tired. If you can, take a clinic with Phil. If you have the problem he will pick it up and help you.

I have discovered going back to one eye is not as easy as I thought. I can see the reduced peripheral vision and also a reduction in light. It will take some work but at least the birds are now breaking when it looks like they should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.