1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I turn my add ons back on in Windows xp?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am ready to jump off a roof. I just paid $100.00 to fix my mothers computer and now when she starts it up it says all add ons are disabled? How do I turn these back on?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Try here Steve....

Jerbear

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I wondered what are add ons. I have a bunch that are disabled and some enabled. Jackie B.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Download Google Chrome and forget about Internet Explorer.

5. senior smoke

Thanks for all the info.
    Steve

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Steve,

Have to agree with Johnny here - dump Internet Explorer and switch her to Google Chrome. With that use Avast (http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download) - which works witinh Chrome to protect her computer.

Another good protection is M/S Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx)

All of this is free.

Not sure how far you live from her, but another good program is TeamViewer (version 7.x, Beta) (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx?cdsplit=C) This lets someone remotely work on a computer. You must provide them with a user name and password to do it, so it's not some 'backdoor' acces you leave turned on.

I used it to help a friend in the UK last week

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

Windows XP? It's time to go forward.

8. senior smoke

I added google chrome to my mothers window xp and it was so slow. Took it off now and computer is fast. Two problems, have a yellow bar that states "Internet Exployer is currently with add-ons disabled. Click here to manage, disable, or remove add-0ns". The sound alone drives me crazy.

Problem #2, I can no longer watch you tube as it wants you to get a new addobe flash. Problem is, they want google chrome with it and my computer hardly moves than.

I added a free firefox download to the computer and it allows me to watch you tube. When you don't know much about computers, it makes it very difficult to fix things.
    Steve

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You can go to adobe and down load flash, uncheck any added programs at the prompts.

Have you been running updates to include updating the browser?

Microsoft has announced support for XP and Office 2003 will end in two years.

Outdated... XP and the newer windows versions are worlds apart!

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

In the 'Start' menu open up 'control panel'

From there be sure you are in 'classic view' and find & open 'System'

Need to know what processor and speed (will say something like Pentium III 1.8 GHz), and how much RAM the computer has.

Would be nice to know the make and model of the machine too (e.g., Dell Dimension 4600)

Will be easier to guide you with that data.

Odd that Chrome runs more slowly - it is a 'lighter' program so it ties up less resources and typically runs much faster than IE.

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I too have the old XP and will stay with it as long as I can.

I even bought another computer, same as I have, in case this one ever fails me. Probably was not a good idea, but this was in December of 2003. I had no idea this computer would last this long. Ray

12. missemucho

missemucho Member

I too still use XP on a Dell Dimension 4600 made in 2004 and I dread changing machines when/if this one ever dies. You will find that most businesses are still running some version of XP, which is one of the reasons Microsoft has maintained support as long as they have.

After several big time misses, Windows 7 finally seems to be a success. We'll see how 8 turns out!
    John

13. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I am having the same problem with add ons. Had virus, had to do entire system recovery. I use Fire Fox, my wife Explorer on Windows xp. Cant install Adobe reader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

turn add-ons back on xp