1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I tighten Barrel on Remington 31?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Just got a Remington 31 TC.

The barrel seems a bit loose.

Can anyone explain how to tighten the barrel. I know that there is a screw on the face of the receiver, but I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Lou

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If I recall correctly it has a adjustment much like a model 12. The one I had also had a loose barrel, but when I moved the adj. the barrel did not sit flush on the receiver.

Also, check the receiver lock up for wear.

A qualified gunsmith may be in order.

Regards....Gerald

3. 333t

333t Member

Lou:

When the barrel is mounted the shoulder of the barrel should be flush with the receiver. The barrel lock at the end of the magazine is what tightens the barrel to the receiver. You may have a dirty barrel lock that doesn't fully engage enough to tighten the barrel properly.

There is a thread adjustment in the receiver that will take up slack in the offset barrel mounting threads. There is a single screw that must be taken out and the very small sliding lock with teeth on the end is slid backwards toward the screw hole. Then the threaded bushing in the receiver can be turned slightly one way or the other to adjust the slack. Notice the matching teeth on the threaded bushing. In any case, the barrel must be flush to the receiver when mounted. Even if the these threads need adjustment, the barrel lock is what tightens the barrel to the receiver.

I would suspect the barrel lock is causing the problem. If the barrel is seating flush and fairly snug when mounted, the offset threads are probably ok and don't need adjustment.

Phil

4. Robb

Robb Member

This site never ceases to amaze me. Great info for a man in need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
tighten up the barrel on a remington model 7400

adjusting barrel collar on remington 31

how to tighten a loose barrel on model 10 remington
how to tighten up a remington 3200
remington 31 barrel adjustment
remington 31 barrel lock