1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I stop poking the target

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frye, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frye

Frye TS Member

Assuming your a right handed shooter, here's what I did to keep me in the gun.
    Open your stance so your move on the hard left on station one doesn't feel like your getting bound up. Hold a LEVEL gun.

Find a spot to reference to if it helps... Call for the target but don't allow yourself to move that gun until you see it and the flight path. swing with your hips, not your shoulders to the target, wipe it out of the sky THEN follow a piece of the target to the ground. If you catch yourself placing you cheek back on the gun, your lifting your head... I think your stance may be too closed for left angle shots, if your binding up in your swing, it might cause you to come out of your mount.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

If you are a RH shooter, I would tend to think that the stock is a bit too long.

ec90t

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

This problem is usually caused by fear that the target is getting away. If you call for the target before you are ready to see it or move the gun before you clearly see the target this problem can appear. Really look for the target and don't move before you see it clearly. If you do this the target won't appear to be moving so fast and it won't scare you.

jim brown

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I could tell you but you keep picking on me so NO .

Your Pal ALF-99

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Could be a number of things? Hard to say without watching you shoot.

John C. Saubak

6. canada

canada Member

if you're not, try holding a high gun. less gun movement may make it seem like the target isn't getting away, if thats the problem. also you will be on it quicker and may be able to keep up with it. i flipped the gun right before i pulled the trigger when i was about 12, and my dad told me to hold a high gun, and it was a pretty quick cure for me.

pat

7. scott k

scott k TS Member

your hold point should be left of the house.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Move your hand further out on the forend. HMB

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

ran200- When I do what you described, it is because I am moving my upper body/arms instead of moving from the hips down. Many shooters call this "arm shooting".

When you go to post one, look at the 50 yard marker. This will be the center of the maximum right and left hand angles you will see from that post. Set up so you can easily pivot both directions from the 50 yard stake.

HMB- Moving your hand further out on the forend will help if you swing your arms. It will not do anything if you pivot from the lower body and keep the upper body moving as a single unit.

Pat Ireland

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I had a Sporting Clay pal who would poke at targets. It ended up that his LOP was too short. I added 3/4" and he was fine from there on out. I've had to do this for a few other Sporties also, all with good results.

11. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

Turn to the target with your belly button. This will help you stay connected with the gun.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I found keeping my right elbow higher keeps the gun on my cheek and that works for me as a r.h. two eyed shooter

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

If you are coming "out of the gun" on left angles, it would seem you are raising your head as the natural swing to the left forces the stock to your cheek. When I catch myself polking at targets I lengthen my call as, "PULLLLLLLLLLL' and it seems to smooth my swing...............Roger

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a Jordan chart, and learn how to swing through.

15. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

How about holding a LOWER gun,it will make you have to swing up to the target and may help you get a better follow thru.

16. whos your daddy

whos your daddy TS Member

I think the post by 410 is right on/// My left and right hard angle really improved using the wall chart

17. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

The Wall Chart works great if you use it a lot. I have hardly shot any practice in the last 9 months but still get some great results. I had a 96-95-98 from 27 yards here at the Ohio State shoot. Phil Kiner and Harlan Campbell's videos were a big help to me too.

Terry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.