1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I stop moving gun, before target appears

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron Burdick, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

HELP,,

I have started moving the gun on my call, before the target appears. The end result seems to be that I instantly look back at my front bead.

Most suggestions will be appreciated.

Ron Burdick

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

You might try getting someone to give you random, delayed pulls.

3. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

If you are moving, you are reading the trap and assuming where the bird is going.

This rarely ends well.

I don't move until I see motion in my peripheral vision

Lots of skeeters troll for higher scores but watch em whine about a slow pull because it screws up a bad technique.

Who said "see bird, shoot bird"?

Any relation to Bob?

4. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

A couple of things to try-------#1 - get someone to give you "bad pulls" - or slow pulls at random and concentrate on seeing the bird first- then moving the gun.
    #2 – try dragging your call out some- or call until you see the bird….ex PULLLllllllllllllllll. Sometimes dragging the call helps keep the gun still until you see the bird.
    #3 I have had kids practice calling – then roll their eyes to the target – saying to themselves “there it is” and then go to it. …..The gun will go where the eyes are looking.

5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I had a bad spell with that a few years back at a trapshooting clinic I was at. The instructor was a big guy, a very big guy. First, he said, “If you move that gun again, I’m going to take a dollar out of your pocket”. My stupidity continued, so he walked around in front of me and said, “If you do that again, I’m going put a knot on the back of your head with this stick”. I think his name was Harlan or something like that.

Jon

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Just don't move your gun until you see that target, problem solved :)

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Random delayed pulls works well. Leo broke me that way.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There isn't a gimmick on the planet that will beat self-discipline and a black front bead.

Stand behind a shooting squad and watch the targets leave the house; focus on getting you eyes locked on the front edge of each target. Do the same drill when you shoot.

MK

9. eperry

eperry Member

Hey Ron , I can't remember if it was Phil Kiner I heard this from, practice shooting this. After you mount the gun, close your eyes and call for the target, open your eyes and shoot. Good Luck, Elizabeth. P.S. you could send our buddy an emergency email and ask for ideas.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Ron you can also have someone you know well that understands what is going on pull for you . Just mount the gun and don't call for the target. Have the person pulling deliver the target when they are ready.

If you don't know the target is coming you can't move early. As soon as you understand that you can still break the target without calling for it you will be able to wait to see the target before you move.

It worked for me I broke my first 75 straight and my second 75 straight that way.

Bob Lawless

11. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

The closing of the eyes is one answer. Having another call for you is another. Personally, I'd try telling my self to call and deliberately just hold the gun still for an exagerated fraction of a second, THEN, move towards the target in a slow deliberate manner. Will you miss because the target is farther out than when you reguluarly shoot? I say, so what? You're not working on hitting the bird. You're working on not moving the gun, remember? If followed, you should in a short amount of time get your original rhythm back and NOT be moving the gun before you see the target. Jim Price

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Just tell yourself..."SELF, just point the gun right THERE and don't move it 'til you see the target"! That's what I do.

John C. Saubak

13. d endicott

d endicott Member

don't watch the persons target before you, stare at the ground until it is your time to shoot. It will work.

14. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"don't watch the persons target before you, stare at the ground until it is your time to shoot. It will work."

I hear a lot of people say this but have to disagree with it. Why would you miss the opportunity to see another target presentation? Use others' targets to your advantage.

15. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I recommend the exaggerated hold, waiting much longer than you think you should, at the 16 yard line you'll still have plenty of time to see the bird clearly, move and make dust.

16. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

Weld your eyes to an area above the gun.
    Weld your eyes shut, call pull and then open them.
    Weld your mind to all your forsaken buddies in NY wehn you call for the target.
    Form a stronger union with the target, and consider the gun as "management."

17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

what are you in such a hurry for? the urg to quick shoot targets cause this, just stop it. force your self to be deliberate for awhile work on centering the targets for smoke, not hurrying to get it closer, be more precise

18. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Ron,

If you are still having trouble with movement this summer, maybe Lee and I can take a ride down to see you. I'll get a dog training collar and zap you whenever we see you move.

We miss you here at Mt.Morris and wish you were still up here. Have a Happy Easter and shoot well.

Bob

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I also had that habit and a friend gave me a DVD by Daro Handy. He has a sequence that I now follow. The early movement has left me now. It all boils down to concentration

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Ya gotta make it your first priority to get a clear focused eye lock on the front of the target. Nothing else matters until you do that. Gun doesn't need to move until that's been accomplished.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to quit moving the eyes trapshooting

moving gun before seeing target video