1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I sharpen an Arch Punch?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I bought a couple of good-used Osborne tool steel arch punches for making wads, and they are sharp enough to go through mud flaps, or to twist circles out of styrofoam egg cartons, but are nowhere nearly sharp enough to cut (cleanly): felt or Tyvek or milk carton.

They are not tempered, and for what I need, the bevel probably should be 'gentled-out' some, but right now, 30+º & sharp is more important than 15º & real sharp.

I have a Dremmel and a drillpress (bit both are a little scarey just now) ... and a bunch of files, but no fine-grit emery wheels.

Suggestions?

Bob

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need the right shaped stone which matches the contour of the blade you want to sharpen. You also need the right grit. After shaping and sharpening you can use a fine grit stone to keep it sharp while you are using it. HMB

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

goatskin what are you using for a cutting surface(under the material to be cut.

If the material being used as a cutting surface is to soft you will get ragged or incomplete cuts. I always got better cut using a very hard wood or fiber surface.

Bob Lawless

4. 333t

333t Member

Mount the punch in your drill press and use a file on the lower angled bevel of the punch. Don't do anything inside. If the file is too slow, try 100 grit sandpaper wrapped around a flat file. You only need to sharpen the leading edge of the bevel.

Phil

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Y'all re-ordered my mind. That's what I needed.

I drove the shaft through a tennis ball to get a constant offset and reasonable angle, then went to work with a series of long stones, then DMT paddles in red & blue.

Later, I'll work on the angle a little more, and dress the curves better, but for my purposes, it's PERFECT: I need clean <i>inside</i> cuts, and don't care if the outside is a little uneven.

Pat, I had forgotten about my days using scrapers, forgetting that 'sharp' and 'wheel' are oxymoron. 1790s technology strikes again.

Thanks.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to sharpen a large arch punch
how to sharpen a wad punch

how to sharpen an arch punch

how to sharpen an osborne arch punch 149
sharpen adco arch punch
sharpening arch punch
sharpening round arch punch