1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I remove forearm from Remington Model 31

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I want to remove the forearm assembly from my Remington Model 31 TC so I can refinish the wood.

I know how to take the barrel off and how to remove the trigger assembly.

I have heard that it is hard getting the bolt in and out of the action. Is it possible to slide the entire forearm assembly off the end of the magazine tube without removing anything else from the action?

If so, how?

How would I get the forearm back in.

Thanks

Lou

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The entire forearm assembly will slide off the front of the magazine tube after you remove a few parts.

Remove the barrel by releasing it with the barrel lock assembly at the front of the magazine tube and turning it 1/4 turn. It only turns one way to release from the interrupted threads. Bolt must be open to remove barrel.

In the ring around the magazine tube there is a screw retaining the assembly. Carefully remove the screw. At that point the barrel lock assembly can be pulled out and the ring can be removed. Be sure to restrain the barrel lock assembly as it is removed as the magazine spring is compressed under it. Remove the spring and follower.

The trigger assembly is removed by driving out the pin from the small end at the lower rear of the receiver. Once the pin is out slide the trigger assembly forward and it will come out the bottom. The two shell stops, one on each side, will probably fall out when the trigger assembly comes out.

You will see the carrier and below that the slide, bolt and ejector. Remove the carrier by squeezing it together slightly to release it from the recesses in the receiver.

The action bar from the forearm is engaged in a slot in the slide. Just lift one side of the slide to release the forearm and slide it forward off the magazine tube. It may be necessary to move the slide and bolt back and forth to find the spot where you can lift the one side of the slide. When you reassemble lift the one side of the slide again and engage the action bar in the slot before proceeding. It is not necessary to completely remove the bolt or slide to get the forearm assembly off.

Note how it all comes apart as you do it and reassembly is not difficult. It is a good time to clean everything out while it is apart. In reassembly the bolt goes in easily but the slide has to be at just the right spot and angle to go in if you do take those out.

3. Bushmaster1313

Very helpful!
    thanks
    Lou

4. Bushmaster1313

Very helpful

Two things:

What you call the "carrier" is that sometimes called the "lifter"?

I would include a warning to wear safety glasses any time pressure is released from a spring

Thanks

Lou

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Yes, the carrier is sometimes referred to as the lifter. It carries or lifts the shell from the bottom of the receiver and aligns it with the chamber. Always wear glasses when working on a firearm as parts occasionally do fly out unexpectedly.

6. Bushmaster1313

I could not get the carrier/lifter out, but it was not necessary.
    The hook on the forearm action bar slipped out easily as soon as I lifted the slide.

I left the slide in place (I've heard it can be a lot of "fun" to get it back in) and I gave the entire action a good dose of Gunscrubber followed by a light coat of Ballistol.

This is one smooth action.

Thanks ou.3200

Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to reassemble remington model 31

how to remove a forarm on remington 31
how to remove a remington model 31 forend
reassemble remington mod 31

remington 31 disassembly

remington model 31 fore end removal