1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I remove blueing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have a blued trigger housing, from a 1100 Remington, that I want to remove the blueing from. The housing is aluminum. What's the best method for removing the blueing without causing damage to the aluminum casting.

ec90t

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ec90t just a comment on bluing if the trigger housing is actually aluminum it may not be bluing it may be anodizing. If it is anodizing I don't know if it is possible to remove it.

Bob Lawless

3. gunrunnerusmc03

gunrunnerusmc03 TS Member

naval jelly will remove just about any finish. It's a gel designed just for that purpose.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bob,

It's not anodizing. It's a layer on top of the aluminum. The blueing is just a tad brighter than the receiver. I want to remove it so I can polish the housing.

Jack,

I may try that if noone has an answer. I just figured someone out there has done this before.

ec90t

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

gunrunner',

I should read the directions on my bottle. I've used it for removing blueing from steel, but not aluminum.

Thanks,

ec90t

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If it is aluminum, it is not blued, not possible, as bluing in and of itself is a controlled rust (rust being iron oxide), and since alum contains no iron, hence no bluing.

Depending on the age, if it is in fact aluminum, it is either anodized, or if it was made in the last couple years, it'll be powder coated.

Either way, the only way to remove it will probably be abrasively. At which point, you'll have a bare aluminum piece, which after time, will loose its polish/luster as it builds a layer of tough aluminum oxide, unless you put some sort of protective sealant on it (it can also be clear anodized).

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

skeet man- I agree with your post. A fine wire wheel and sandpaper will get it off. After that, you will have to put on another finish.

Pat Ireland

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks skeet_man,

This has to be the thickest anodizing layer I've ver seen. It's a lot thicker than that used on aircraft parts.

The trigger housing is aluminum. It has Alcoa embosed on it and a magnet doesn't stick.

Thanks again,

ec90t

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I would try a good paint remover before I used an abrasive.

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

One day, I had the miss fortune of leaving a Remington really dirty looking like baked on oven crud, aluminum trigger gaurd in the hot soapy water to long, it came out white. This hot soapy water is spic an span detergent working just below a boil.

if you know someone with a hot tank the, hot caustic will remove the coating, it should foam gently, this is how the plating shops get the anodizing of aluminum, if it fizzis violently remove right away as the solution is to strong and will cause damage. Also never let it out of your hand when doing this, rinse and check often. If you have all the steel parts out of the guard, a quick dip in Nitric acid will high light any anodizing that hasn't been removed.

AL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.