1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Refinish a Scratch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

One of my stocks has a 1 1/2" long scratch in the gloss surface on the right side near the butt. The scratch has not dented or dug into the wood of the stock but has taken off the gloss surface and some of the stain leaving a lighter colored mark that is unsightly. I am looking for a way to repair the surfice and repair the color without having to redo the entire stock. (I hope anyway) I saw some ideas posted recently but can not locate the threads. Can any one help me with some ideas how to get back to that beautiful gloss surface without having to do a complete refinish job?
    Thanks for any ideas,
    Doug

2. high 2

high 2 Member

What kind of gun is it Doug?

3. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

No problem. Send this guy an e-mail:

irishtalker@yahoo.com

http://mpi.websitewizard.com/ArrowWoodFinishandKleanBrite.html

He sells his stuff at the gun shows. It works like a champ. Only covers as much or as little as you need, and you don't have to strip it.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It really depends on how deep the scratch is. For deeper scratches, I have not found anything that works very well. A dab of MinWax Oil Finish, a color just a bit darker than the stock, has worked as well as anything for me. The scratch remains but is not as noticeable.

Scratches on a gun stock are like scratches on a new car. The first one is really ugly but it begins to look better after more scratches get on the car.

Pat Ireland

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Build it up with Truoil. I did it on a stock where a quarter sized piece of finish flaked completely off. You cannot see the repair.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Fill it with superglue and give it a little buffing. Works great for scratches small dents and chips.

Jim

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ditto what jim101 says. Bulge

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

A little buffing with what? I noticed a couple of scratches on my 1/1000 this past weekend on the reciever end of the stock.

Guy Babin

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Furnitue stores and hardware stores sell a scracth stick / crayon the you use to cover the scratch. Work well and is fast and inexpensive

10. Damifino

Damifino Member

Put another one just like it on the other side and advertise it as "engraved with one-of-a-kind custom art". HA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.