1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I recognize a Rem step rib trap barrel?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skarloey, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

Can someone describe what the "step rib" looks like on the 1100 step rib trap barrel or post a picture (or direct me to one)?

Also, where can I view a picture of the Hastings 1100 high rib trap barrel? I want to know how high is "high".

Thanks.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hard to describe.

Basically the rib starts low (1/4" or so) at the muzzle end and gets taller as you move back towards the breech ((maybe 3/8" at the tallest.)

Then about 2" from where the barrel meets the receiver, the rib tapers down to the height of the receiver (less than 1/4")

Hope that makes sense.

3. hairy

hairy TS Member

Looks like this.

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Hairy

That looks like a wrong handed one. Do you have a picture o a right handed one?

Bob

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Four years ago, I wrote an article about the modifications I performed to my 1100TT in preparation for using the gun as my regular trap gun when my arthritis has had all it can take of fixed-breech recoil. Here are the paragraphs referring to the Hastings barrel:

For those who might be interested in one of the Hastings barrels and would like more detailed comparative dimensions, the bore measured exactly the advertised .740” and my bore gauge’s needle did not as much as wiggle as I slid the tool down the tube toward the muzzle, indicating straight walls and quality machining. The Full choke tube measured .750” at its inlet and .705” at its outlet, thus yielding .035” of choke constriction (.740” bore minus .705” outlet). With its .010” larger outlet diameter, the I/M tube offers .025” of constriction. As one of the accompanying photos shows, the Hastings tubes are almost a half-inch longer than a Rem-Choke tube. The forcing cone is about the same length as the factory barrel’s but since it reduces the inside diameter of the barrel .013” less, it in effect is longer.

Another pair of photos shows the differences in rib heights at the chamber and muzzle, with the Hastings barrel under the factory one. The Hastings rib is 7/16” high at the rear and tapers to 1/4" at the muzzle while the factory barrel’s rib starts out 5/16” high before also dropping to 1/4". An eighth of an inch of rib height difference may not sound like much, but trust me, it is. Pictures don’t do it justice. Rib width taper is more dramatic on the Hastings barrel, as well.

Ed

6. hairy

hairy TS Member

Thanks Eddie...I think that Bob is a troll. :)

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Eddie, sure hard to read in the R. handed configuration - need a mirror, eh?....Bob Dodd

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I was just giving Rick a hard time.

Bob

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Eddie ... are you sure about that RH barrel? It looks like the stampings on the barrel are all backwards on your picture. Ya know it might be some sort of oddity or rarity to have the stampings all in caddywampidaisical reverse like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.