1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how do I know if my Perazzi is an MX8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bogey67401, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bogey67401

bogey67401 Member

I have what I was told is a MX8. It is not marked anywhere on the receiver MX8. I do know that it was made in 1976. Is there some way to find out if it is a MX8?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sure, post some pictures....

3. drgondog

drgondog Member

Perazzi only made three drop lock triggers versions IIRC at that time. The Comp I had a slab/flat side receiver and the MX8 and Mirage had the more elegant scalloped/relief side metal.

In 1976 all MX8 designed for US markets (I think) were color case hardened receivers and had the 3/16" raised ribs and "MX8" on the top barrel above the shoulder/ejector on LH side . The Mirage had "Mirage" in gold on the barrel - same place. The US Mirage had a very low (~3/32") rib and ALL Mirage's Euro/US had the tapered rib.

The Euro version of both had flat ribs versions and I don't recall that all had MX8 in gold but I have never seen a Mirage with a straight rib (no taper) or without the gold Mirage on the LH side of the top barrel in front of receiver.

First look at your rib. If it is a continuous 11mm and flat it is an MX8. If it is raised ~ 3/16 it is an MX8 (assuming elegant side of action is there - if Flat action side it is a Comp I.

Look on underside of barrel between lug and block and see if there is a company name (importer) to indicate purchased in Europe and brought into states. Something other than Ithaca and Winchester - both of which acted as distributor for Perazzi before Perazzi USA.

Check the serial number -if it is an earlier TypeII with serial numbers below 34000 it is most probably a Mirage as the MX8 only came out around the time of the 1968 Mexico Olympics (MX8) when Materelli won the Gold Medal for trap. It was his design.

I haven't really gone back to do heavy research so this is memory of someone who is deep into CRS.

Regards,

Bill

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The older type 3 and 4 Perazzi MX8s are marked on the barrel in a gold inlay. Not the receiver. What's your guns serial number or numbers. Many P guns are conglomerations of more than one gun.

5. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Does it have stripes on the side?

6. drgondog

drgondog Member

The stripes on receiver was only for MT-6 which is a coil spring trigger, permanent and does not drop out. It had a flat receiver like the Comp I, and also two screw in cchokes and separated barrels - unlike the MX-8 and Mirage.

The MS-80 followed immediately with an Mt-6 trigger and Mirage/MX8 receiver.

The serial number may give a better clue but new in mid 1976 would be a Type III.

7. bogey67401

bogey67401 Member

the reason I don't know is that it is a over single now. The barrel is in real bad shape and am looking for another barrel for it. Just want to make sure that it is a MX8. There are no markings on the receiver to say what it is that I know of. the serial # is 47974.
    thanks
    Barry Bogart

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Interesting question to start this thread, and good replies.

Now we know the reason of your question is to find a matching O/U barrel for your gun.

Based on your see. #, it's a type III, since Perazzi didn't make round monobloc back in those days, you are safe to find any type III MX-8 style O/U to fit your gun. That's pretty much all type III Perazzi O/U will do, because they only made one kind of monobloc in that era. This is assuming you have the type III O/U forend. Early type III top singles use different forend.

drgondog: Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us, and with all due respect, one little correction if you don't mind,

From you post above: "Check the serial number -if it is an earlier TypeII with serial numbers below 34000 it is most probably a Mirage as the MX8 only came out around the time of the 1968 Mexico Olympics (MX8) when Materelli won the Gold Medal for trap. It was his design."

That isn't entirely correct. Ennio Mattarelli won the '64 Olympic in Tokyo, he didn't win the '68 Olympic in Mexico City (I think a British guy won). But he made Perazzi famous for the rest of the history.

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that Mirages existed in any form prior to the MX8. I have never seen a T1 or T2 or Comp1 style Mirage. Every one I have seen has been a T3 style action or later. That would be c1973 and up IIRC.

That is not to say that Mirage T3 bbls could not be fitted to earlier guns cuz I have one that was done at the factory. But it ain't a "real" Mirage.

10. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Pederson Custom...model 1500 Trap, or model 1000 Trap...30 or 32 O/U barrels made 1973-1975, Was a Division of O.F.Mossberg.......
    M1500 Standard grade only... new was $650.00......
    M1000 Grade One...New was $2,100.00....
    M1000 Grade Two...New was $1,650.00...

Bought one from gun show Early 90's...Perazzi Knockoff...Soft Metals, Fixed Triggers, Shot Great, Wide 11mm rib even Rayban style white insert. Called it The Rainy Day Perazzi...Made for Great Woods O/U.

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

Steve W/Semperfi - you are both absolutely correct. Brain fart. Ennio Mateterelli approached Danielle just after Fabbri and Perazzi had parted ways and told Perazzi that if he designed the gun to his specs (Matterelli) that he would win the 1968 Olympics - finished Silver (?) but the MX8 won many many shoots after that. The Mirage came out immediately after the 68 Olympics in 1969. so there was no possibility that it was a Type II.

I did some research and both them to eliminate the dreaded "IIRC"

Here is a pretty good article from Derek Partridge
    http://www.bunkershooting.com/YouCanShootIntTandS.html

The Brit, Bob Braithwaite won the Gold in 68 but Matterelli won the Euro and World Championships with the MX-8.

I'm going to further research this but the original Mirage was a slight step/flat rib MX-8 targeted to Euro Flyer market and came out in 1969 with 28 3/8" barrels. Nobody until Ithace was importing Perazzi in bulk although Frank Pachmayr and Billy Hodge were their importers in the 60's. I didn't buy my first one until 1974 and it was an Ithaca import. Prior to that time I had purchased one of the last SHO sidelocks with Perazzi-Fabbri name on it - from Billy Hodge at Buckhorn in Dallas. I'm pretty sure Josef Jurdjovic built that gun before he migrated to the States and settled in Texas. It had a hand filed flat tapered rib and was 29 5/8" 9/10 and 6/10 choke.

I also forgot that the TM1 also had the striped receiver (and coil springs like the MT-6)

Back to the forum question - definitely need the serial number and, if made before 1974, the roman numerals stamped on bottom of the receiver with the Proof markings. I don't offhand recall when the Italian Proof markings changed from i.e. "XXIV, XXX to "AA, AN, AZ, BA, etc) but my first Mirage was "XXX" for 1974

As to barrel swaps - if you have the forend iron with the barrels you should be able to get them easily fitted to your receiver. Without the forend iron the only way you can fit a Type II set of barrels to Type III or IV forend iron is to move the bottom barrel/forend attach lug and THAT is a Major job I would only recommend by the factory or Giacomo (Him personally) or Lucio - Jim White maybe but he would know. If anything breaks loose the side ribs it is katy bar the door to get everything buttoned up and barrels shoot to original POI.

Been there-done that with Briley, Merrington, Giacomo and Perazzi at various times from 1983 through 1996.

Regards,

Bill

12. drgondog

drgondog Member

For what it is worth - this article embodied all that I adapted in both Bunker Trap and Pigeons - for all the reasons Partridge presnted below.

http://www.bunkershooting.com/FineTune.html

Regards,

Bill

13. Capt.Ron/FL

Capt.Ron/FL Member

The silver was won by Tom Garrigus, from Hillsboro, Oregon. I belive at that time he was the youngest US shooter to ever medal..He was my coach as a sub&junior and helped me get my first Perazzi in 1970..He passed in 2006..

Thanks,

Ron Hamilton

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Barry, call or find me. I can tell you what you have.

Zard, I've owned a Pederson. Probably around town somewhere. Bought it out of a pawn shopfor $450 back in the 70's.

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Fabulous information presented here fellows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1998 perazzi mx8
how do i know what type of forend iron on my perazzi
how to repair a deep mark on the receiver of a perazzi gun
how to tell a type 4 mx8
perazzi mx-8 serial numbers
perazzi mx8 markings

perazzi trigger markings

perrazzi 1500