1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how do I keep from looking at the bead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, Jun 11, 2013.

1. romie

romie Active Member

A buddy of mine noticed hat I was stopping the gun and looking at the bead. Needless to say I was tubing it as far as scores. But when the pressure gets on I tend to want to aim or look at the bead.This is in a millimeter of a second and I am not aware of it when I am doing it until it I over. Help!
    Monty

2. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

How long does your barrel stop before you say 'pull'

3. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

take the bead off can always put it back on. Just look at the target your gun will go there

4. K.80

K.80 TS Member

Take it off.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Blacken both beads.

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Use a white board black marker to black out the beads. Easily removed with a hard rub of the finger or a wet rag.

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Yeah, take it off.

My grandson was sucking his thumb. Gramma wanted to teach him it was bad behavior but I just amputated the darned thing.

but...uh...I think he's starting to suck on the other one.

You could always try looking at the target really hard.

8. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Shoot faster...Instinct takes over somewhat, and if you shoot fast enough you don't have time to bead check.

My 2 cents..Stan

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Hold lower on the trap house it forces you to focus above the bead over the trap house to look for a target.Jerry

10. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

The bead checking happens more likely when the timing is bad. To correlate the gun speed to the target speed you try to check that relationship.
    Try a new setup until you feel that you are with the bird naturally without any checking. Good luck!

11. romie

romie Active Member

I'll definitely black it out or take it off. I have started using a lower hold and shooting faster. It seemed to help.

12. romie

romie Active Member

The question about how long does my barrel stop till I say pull. I was holding for about two seconds .To make sure the barrel was still I am now shooting almost the instant the gun hits my shoulder.I was also jumping sometimes when I called pull. I think I am a sucker for bad habits.I am really trying now to just look at the bird but I know I am looking sometime unconsciously .

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner nailed me for bead-checking by blackening my beads. The first time I called for a target, I couldn't release my trigger because I was trying to find my beads!

I broke myself of that habit - and that's what it is - by focusing in the distance before calling for a target. That way, my eye went right to the target and stayed there. It's a harder habit for one-eyed shooters like me to break. Aiming is so much more tempting when you see the beads as clearly as one-eyed shooters do.

Ed

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Dumb question, but have you had the gun fitted to you??

Beads are basically there to allow you to be certain you are correctly mounting the gun - eyes lined up correctly with the barrel.

We in the USA tend to fit ourselves to the gun, not the gun to us.

Once you are CERTAIN the gun fits you, and that every time you shoulder it it will come to the same spot - the beads become superfluous...

15. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Thats called concentration and self control.Forget the bead.Just use them to get your sight picture then look past them.Look at the TARGET and keep your head glued to the stock. Concentrate on the TARGET and thats all. And keep your gun swinging through the shot. TARGET TARGET TARGET and watch your scores go up.

16. archangel

archangel Member

Here's what I did, but I still peek at times:
    black out the beads I use flat black model paint.
    i've learned to set up without looking at the bead: by the feel of the comb on my cheek.
    focus on a distant spot when calling for the target, get the eyes off the barrel
    learning to trust your eyes to stay on the target letting the gun go to the target: this works for me but we are all different -mike

17. romie

romie Active Member

thanks
    Monty

18. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Close your eyes.....Just kidding.

Lower gun, look out over it, and "soft focus" on you "kill" zone. Move the gun to the target once you see it in focus.

JMHO

Jim C

19. romie

romie Active Member

I think I had gotten to the point like Adverage Ed I was calling pull and then looking for the bead, especially when I had a strait going. I was to the point where I was wanting to quit shooting. It was not fun I had shot a 78 which is my lowest score ever on singles.
    Monty