1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I handle this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trufan, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trufan

trufan Member

I don't know if this is the place for this but I am looking for a way to handle this without causing embarrassment for myself, my club and the person involved. At an ATA shoot this past weekend, a shooter showed up at our club to shoot. He claimed he had already paid his dues to the ATA but didn't have his new average card yet. I let him shoot. He only shot the 16's and didn't win anything. He didn't have his state card (which I sold him a renewal). We don't have internet at the club but after the shoot was over I looked online and discovered the ATA shows his dues haven't been paid. I know this may not be the best place to get advice and I also know that there may be some less than "nice" responses but flame away if you wish, I just want to know the way you guys would handle this.

2. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

One way to look at it is that he/she shot for practice only. The score can't be reported to the ATA and the person didn't win anything anyway.

I don't what else you could do except contact the person and infrom them that their ATA dues were not paid. Also, it could be that they recently paid and the ATA hadn't recorded the payment yet.....just a thought.

JMHO

Jim C

3. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

In the future, if you don't know th shooter, only accept proof the dues are paid. You can print a receipt when youbpay online. If he/she paid at a shoot they got a receipt there. As for getting burned, it happens. Now you will be extra careful next time. I still believe a mans word means something so I probably might have done the same.

Chris

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

It can take weeks for things to be posted on the ATA site. He may have paid recently and it wasn't up yet. Why would anyone pay the extra money to shoot registered if it wasn't going to count? JRM

5. trufan

trufan Member

Bluzman - What about the rest of the people on his squad, as it is against the rules to allow practice with shooters shooting ATA targets?

6. trufan

trufan Member

I agree that a man's word should mean something and as a rule ATA shooters are some of the more honest people and I may be too trusting.
    I hope that he did pay his dues and they haven't been posted yet. My fingers are crossed!!!

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Call the ATA. That's why they are there.

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

No receipt, no shoot.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Honest mistakes are made as we're all human...I paid my dues one year but it never reflected on the ATA website...no loss as I was ill and was unable to register a target that year anyway..if the gentleman paid he surely will be able to show a cancelled check ..just let him know and let him resolve it no matter whose oversight it is

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The shooter probably did everything he thought he should do. You must contact ATA to find out whether he paid or not. My guess is that he paid and the "stuff" didn't go through on time.

11. trufan

trufan Member

What do I do if I find out he hasn't paid?

12. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The ATA will assess the club for the dues. It's up to the club to pursue payment from the shooter.

ATA Rules, Section III, C, 2: "Management shall confirm that all participants are ATA members in good standing who have paid their annual dues or are Life Members before accepting their entries. If shoot management accepts entry from
    a contestant and it is subsequently determined he/she is not an ATA
    member in good standing and his/her annual dues have not been paid,
    Shoot Management must make every effort to collect those dues. If Shoot
    Management, ATA or another club is unsuccessful in collection of the unpaid
    dues, Shoot Management will be assessed an amount equal to each unpaid
    entry. Notice of unpaid dues will be mailed by the ATA to each participant
    and club responsible. Failure to timely pay assessments may result in a
    club’s registered shooting and/or shoot application(s) being denied or held
    in abeyance until payment is made."

13. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

MTATom got it right. I wondered how long it would take for someone to quote the rule.

GneJ

14. trufan

trufan Member

Thanks to all who have responded. I have sent an email to the ATA admitting to my mistake and seeking verification of the individual's membership and asking for advice as to the next course of action. I have been involved in ATA shooting since the mid 80's and this is the FIRST time anyone has tried this. I only hope that he has paid his dues and honestly didn't have his proof with him as that is how I would expect EVERYONE to do! I firmly believe that all trapshooters are honest people and I hope this doesn't change that.

15. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

MTA Tom hit it right on the head. The club will be charged for his dues and it is up to the club to get it back from the person in question. All targets count for everyone. This is why God invented rule books. So they can be read and followed. John

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The BEST way is to CALL the ATA directly! As posted above the computer display sometimes takes WEEKS to be updated. If he wasn't a member then he just paid for 4 expensive rounds of practice. He gets nothing refunded! If he IS a member then no harm,no foul but needs to be reminded to carry his receipt with him!

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If one pays by mail there is a tear off receipt tab that one is supposed to carry until the new card arrives. No receipt, no ATA event.

18. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

trufan

I was referring to "practice" in a figurative not literal sense.

As for the rest of the squad, unless they were complicitous in the shooter's partcipating without paying their ATA dues I don't see how they should/would/could be penalized.

Jim C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.