1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get original Perazzi butt pad off?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rhymeswithorange, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

How do I get original Perazzi butt pad off of a late model gun. I don't see any screw holes, only a hole to get to stock bolt. Is it glued on? Thanks in advance.

Dave Eberhart

2. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Dave

They are glued on from the factory. Carefully use a thin knife to get a seperation between the wood and the pads backing plate started , beginning from the bottom. Once you get enough room to get a small chisel between the wood and the backing plate you can gently tap it through and the pad will peel / pop off. There are holes in the pad for mounting screws. Extremely hard to find but they are there. If you wist to reuse the same pad locate them and pre drill holes into the stock before removing the pad for a perfect fit on the reinstalation.

Hope it helps
    Lewis

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Because I work or Perazzi's, here what *I* do. Others do it similarily and others do it differently. Some use a monofilament fishing line, but I feel that once you get a big enough gap to use the line, all you have to do is drip in the lacquer thinner in that gap, and it comes right off.

I use a flexible metal ruler and a new, sharp X-Acto knife blade and score ALL around the stock where the black of the pad meets the wood... VERY CAREFULLY. You want to be sure that you score it deep enough so when you start removing the pad you don't pull off a chip of clear finish off the wood.

I then, and very carefully, continue to score as much as I can on one side of the stock until I feel I have touched the actual pad where it meets the wood. I then take an eye-dropper and begin dripping in lacquer thinner. The glue used by the factory is the yellow Elmer's Contact cement type. I'm sure they use an Italian brand.

Some heat the pad, I don't. I then grip as much of the pad as I can in my gun vice and begin gently rocking the butt-stock back-and-forth and continue to drip in lacquer thinner as the separation begins and continues to widen.

Pretty soon the pad comes off. I clean up the end of the stock with more lacquer thinner. I buy l/t by the 5 gallon can.

WW

4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Wow, only 15 minutes and later lots of help. Thanks a lot guys.

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Use a very thin filet knife. Start at the toe of the pad.
    Tap the knife with a small hammer. It will usually pop
    off.

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Whiz has probably done these more than anyone so I would certainly trust his advice. If you are not interested in keeping the pad I have a technique that is even lower risk to the stock. You score the joint between the pad and wood. Then you cut the rubber pad away from the plastic backing plate, using a razor blade. This will expose a large hole in the center of the plate. You simply place a slotted screwdriver in that hole and pry the plastic plate off of the wood. It pops right off and there is no chance of scratching your pretty new Perazzi stock. Replace the pad with your choice of new one and you are good to go.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

All are good methods, but here's where I get concerned.

Once you introduce a thin knife and start tapping it in between the pad's base and the stock, and if you do NOT score the line around the pad as I mentioned above, you will possibly...<BR>
    (1) chip off the clear finish SOMEWHERE around the wood<BR>
    (2) will most likely gouge the wood, or<BR>
    (3) mar/smash the toe or heel of the wood, thereby requiring you to sand the entire back down to be flush.

Select the least invasive method because these Perazzi stocks ain't cheap.

Whiz

8. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

I do not know whiz but his advice is the best bob mctaggart

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Will Lacquer Thinner damage the finish?

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to glue perazzi recoil pad back on