1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I drill a hole in a recoil pad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vdt, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdt

vdt Active Member

you do not need to dril a hole if you look very close there is a hole already ,it will apear as a slight slit in pad go from back with a small screw driver it should be there...vdt..P.S. if you want a round hole in the pad i have taken a old star screwdriver and head it up till just about red in colour and go from the back side threw the pad..not to fast.

2. donda

donda TS Member

with a drill

3. pjh

pjh Member

My friend who is now a retired gunsmith takes a brass rifle cartrige, trims it and puts a bolt through the primer hole. You can sharpen the edges with a file. The bolt is put in his drill press like a drill shaft. if you spray the cutter with a light oil it will help it cut a smoother hole. Before you drill this hole from the top drill an oversized hole from the bottom side into the rubber slightly. Use a scribe and push it through the center of the hole to the other side to make a center mark.

hope this helps. It should give you a clean hole on the top.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Couple of ways but DON'T use a drill bit:

1. You can freeze the pad and work on it, but the best way is...<BR>
    2. Use a hole punch bit, like those used for punching holes in paper, but in a drill press.

I made a hardened steel hole bit in a diameter that I think is appropirate and when I drill it in the press, I shoot it with WD40 in the process. The INSIDE of the bit is tapered, not the outside.

I do this quite often when I drill that hole that Perazzi uses for their stock bolt tool.

WW

5. 333t

333t Member

Find a straight wall cartridge case about the right size. Chamfer the inside of the case until the edge is sharp. You can then just push the case through the soft part of the pad. Twist to remove the plug. Then drill the mounting hole through the pad's plate with the proper size drill.

Phil

6. mdk3280

mdk3280 TS Member

The above suggestions about using an empty shell casing are pointed in the right direction...but the best way is:

1. Go down to your local full service hardware store and buy a piece of
    thin wall brass tubing that is the correct size for the hole and plug
    you wish to create in the recoil pad.

Thin wall brass tubing usually comes in lengths of 12" or longer. It is
    straight and "stiff".

2. Cut the tubing to about 6" in length.

3. Sharpen the edge on one end...a disk sander works well. Just create a
    nice, even beveled edge all the way around the diameter on one end.

This will be the end of the tubing that cuts the hole/plug in your pad.

4. Now put the "unsharpened" end in your drill chuck (a drill press is best,
    but you can use a hand held drill if that's all you have available).

Ideally, you should lubricate the brass tubing...a little WD40 will work
    just fine to keep it turning nicely as it cuts through the soft rubber.

5. Drill through the soft rubber in the pad and stop when you hit the hard
    back of the recoil pad and withdraw the tubing from your recoil pad.

6. Use a pair of needle nose plyers to pull the plug out and you're done.

7. The plug can be trimmed to correct lenght and then re-inserted in the
    hole at a later time for a nice finished look.

Best,
    Dan

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You can also put it in the freezer...this will allow you to drill it without tearing the rubber

8. guncase

guncase TS Member

I use a piece of steel gas line,, or something the size you want the hole. Cut it with a pipe cutter, leaves a sharp edge, I even sharpen it on a stone, to a smooth cutting edge. Rest of the info about drilling the back side and using a lubricant is true. Do not try to drill the face,, especially on a Gooey pad, it will twist patches out of the pad. I have about 3 different sizes made up in the tool box. Paul

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Problem with the brass tube is that when you get through the rubber and to the hard plastic, the brass often times dulls.

Also, one should be careful drilling out the present holes in the pad. Reason is that most good pads have a steel washer embedded between the rubber part and the hardened part. Drilling usually get the bit stuck in the washer, it starts spinning, and the heat makes a mess of the pad.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.