1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I clean and protect wood on old gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I was recently fortunate enought to obtain a 90 year old Baker shotgun with what looks like an original finish to the wood.

What should I use to clean and protect the flat and checkered parts of the wood while preserving the history and the value?

I was planning on using Butchers clear paste wax on the flat parts but I have no idea what to do with the checkering. Also, paste wax can get into the checkering (or into little holes in the flat parts) and turn white.

Thanks

Lou W.
    [​IMG]

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Tru oil rub on might be your best choice.

Eric

3. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

light application of Lemon Oil as a cleaner, a good paste wax such as JPW will do you fine, I would be careful not to over clean it, (the woood) in some circles you are washing away value.

Rick

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

CLENZOIL works great on wood!

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Not sure what butcher wax is, but I have a gun in the shop right now that the customer said he rubbed with butchers wax and now it's like a sticky gooey mess.

I've cleaned it a few times with naptha and 0000 steel wool. Seams quite clean now.

Doug

6. Bushmaster1313

Butchers Wax is a clear wax in turpentine that is of the type used on bowling alleys. It can be removed with turpentine.

Most internet posts indicate is is good as a top coat. I was wondering if it will ruin the historical finish.

Lou W

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, Baker shotguns are fine collectible trap guns. Cleaning and waxing can be done at the same time. Any good wood wax will do. Excess wax can be cleaned from the checkering with a hand towel and/or a soft brush. A liquid furniture wax is not too bad. I would remove the wood and put a heavy coat of paste wax on the unfinished wood that contacts the metal. Removing the butt bad and protecting the raw wood of the stock in front of the butt pad is not a bad idea. The most likely wood problem will result from oil on the metal flowing down into the wood.

Avoid an oil base product like Clenzoil and absolutely avoid a finish like True Oil.

Pat Ireland

8. Beak

Beak TS Member

I'll second what Pat said. You can purchase Howard's "Restore a Finish", followed with Howard's "Feed and Wax" (polish after overnight sitting). I have restored many old stocks and antique furniture using this method. Use a soft toothbrush on the checkering to avoid buildup. These items can be purchased at Home Depot, adjacent to the stains. Beak

9. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Lou,from the looks of your picture I would leave it alone.

Bocephas

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Try Murphy's Oil Soap that will cleanse but not harm the finish of the wood being oil based it wont hurt the blueing/ browning of the metal either. COuple of appl;icaiotns then oil it with a furniture oil and gun oil on the metal

11. racer

racer TS Member

Liquid gold is used by many gun collectors- Dan

12. Bushmaster1313

I am going to not do any cleaning or waxing of the wood for now.

Thanks to all, especially Bocephas

Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

protect wood on rilfe