1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW DO I ATTACH A TEXT FILE TO MY THREAD?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by E. Beaver, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I have some information on chokes, patterns and shot sizes that I would like to post. It's currently in a text file in microsoft word. How do I attach it to my thread? Thanks.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I will assume we're talking posting a link to your posting.

<A HREF="http://www.losttarget.com/" TARGET="_blank">The Lost Target</a>

A HREF="http://www.losttarget.com/" TARGET="_blank">The Lost Target</a>

This is the code. You need to add < infront of the A and < /a> after Target for it to be active. (no spaces)

Replace losttarget.com and The Lost Target with your own data.

Upload the doc to your server first and write down the address. You may be better off converting it to a PDF file instead of using a word doc, more internet friendly.

In anycase, if not sure on how to accomplish the posting, send me the file, I will upload it to my server, send you the URL and you can post it to this board or where ever. I can also convert it to PDF if you wish.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hit edit, then choose select all, then hit copy. When posting, at the beginning of the paragraph hit paste. the text will appear.

HM

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Probably what he wanted to do halfmile, instead of what I posted.

Good catch : )

But he may have problems keeping his format.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, I've copied and pasted stuff here with regularocity.....Bob Dodd

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had a beer today watching the game. In fact, I copied the action several times. Whan I came in my wife pasted me.

HM

7. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Thanks Halfmile, here is the info.

My Take on Chokes and Patterns

For a long time I have been interested in what the patterns looked like at different distances and what effect the choke and ammunition had. After much trial and error and a good amount of reading I got some very good insight at www.shotgunreport.com. The author there explained that there were insufficient pellets to properly fill a 30” circle and that we should look at a 24” circle instead for evaluating pellet density. He also outlined the following math.

The math goes like this: In a 24” circle there are 452 sq. in., if we allow that an oblique target represents 5 sq. in. then 452 divided by 5 equals 90 same size target spaces in the 24” circle. Let’s also say that we want at least 3 hits per target to ensure that it breaks. Therefore 3 times 90 equals 270 pellets. The 270 pellets represent the ideal number of pellets in that 24” circle. If you have way more that 270 in means that they are clustered in the center leaving the outer edges too thin, and if you have way less your pattern is too thin overall.

I used a Remington SPR310s with Turlock chokes. My load was: Remington Nitro hulls, Cheditde primer, 17.0 grains of Promo, Claybuster wad and 1 1/8 of hard shot. This load patterned equal or better than factory Remington STS in 8’s and Remington Nitro 7 ½’s.

I have shot about 100 separate paper targets with #8 and # 7 ½’s and counted the number of hits in a 24” circle. The following table shows the average number of hits for 3 targets per choke, shot size and yardage. Please pay attention to the letters following the number of hits where A indicates no holes in any of the 3 targets, A- indicates 1 hole, B+ indicates 2 holes, B indicates 3 holes, B- indicates 4 holes and C+ indicates 5 holes.

Constriction .015 .020 .030 .040
    Choke L Mod Mod Full Ex Full
    Shot Size 8 7 ½ 8 7 ½ 8 7 ½ 8 7 ½

25 Yards 375A- 355A-

30 Yards 278C+ 295B 374A 337B

35 Yards 235C+ 263A- 328A- 270A- 323A- 308A 334B 332A-

40 Yards 224C+ 226B+ 274B+ 248A 314B+ 281A

45 Yards 212B 209B+ 242B 239A-

By graphing (not shown) the above results for 7 ½’s we were able to determine the yardage at which there were 270 pellets in the 24” circle. That yardage was: for I Mod 33.5 yards, for Mod 35 yards, for Full 38 yards and for Extra Full 41 yards.

This information can be looked at in many different ways: Fast shooters will want a more open choke whereas a slow shooter may find a tighter choke works best for them. It all boils down to what works for you. Be aware that this data hold for my gun, my chokes and my ammo, your pattern may very.

It is interesting to note that there are 4 “A’s” using #8s, and 9 “A’s” using 7 ½’s. And at the longest range tested for each choke there are more or nearly an identical number of hits of 7 ½’s V.S. 8’s even though there are about 60 more #8’s to start with. The 7 ½’s hold a better pattern than the 8’s, plus there is more energy pre pellet with the 7 ½’s.

My recommendations for myself are:

Yards Choke Shot Size Comment

25-35 L Mod 7 ½ best, 8 ok 1st quick shot in doubles

30-35 Mod 8 best, 7 ½ ok 1st shot in doubles or quick singles

35-40 Full 7 ½ best, 8 ok singles, short HC or quick 2nd doubles.

35-45 Ex Full 7 ½ best Mid. to long HC or long 2nd doubles.

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Well, my data table looks like code, I'll re-do this and submit it under "My take on chokes and patterns"

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.