1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I adj my gun not to punch me in the cheek

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodyshopdave, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodyshopdave

bodyshopdave TS Member

I have a golden clays bt99,just got it last week.Everytime I shoot it feels like I just got punched in the face.Can I adj the cheek piece so that don't happen with out messing my aim up

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The pitch is off. Put a washer Or two behind the recoil pads top screw and see if it helps. Just the top screw. you usually can't adjust the pitch properly with normal comb adjustments. If that doesn't work, you may need to see a stock fitter to have them help you get it setup for you. Unfortunately trap guns are not one size fits all.

3. bodyshopdave

bodyshopdave TS Member

It has a gracoil reducer on it.Where would I put the washer?

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There are a dozen things that cause that, individually or in combination.

You don't ask a doctor to diagnose you through email. Consult a stock fitter in person.

Keller

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is it possible to raise the back of the comb (or lower the front) so that when the gun recoils backward the comb is pulling away from your cheek? If you already have it a low as possible this is probably not an option.

Also, check and see if the length of pull isn't too short. Your thumb should be about 1 - 1.5" from your nose.

If you want to play with the pitch, you'll need to put the washer between the recoil pad and the graco hardware. You may need a longer screw to hold the pad on. My son's gun took quite a bit. After we figured it out, we made the spacer out of wood.

Good luck.

6. grntitan

I forgot the Golden Clays has the Gracoil. Yeah the washer would go between the pad and Gracoil plate as stated above. Also as pointed out above, a longer screw may be needed. This is just a temporary thing to see if it helps. It won't hurt a thing to try it. If it does help, measure the amount of spacer needed and you can buy pitch spacers from places like Gamaliels that will make it more permanent looking. They come in various thicknesses and are designed for this very issue.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ertz, how much would that cost???

I know the washers .05.

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Sounds like a negative pitch reciol pad spacer is in order. Worked for me....

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Not everyone needs a custom stock. There are hundreds of great stockmakers out there. Makes little sense to put $2400 stock on a JC Higgins.

10. bodyshopdave

bodyshopdave TS Member

I have a golden clays bt99,just got it last week.Everytime I shoot it feels like I just got punched in the face.Can I adj the cheek piece so that don't happen with out messing my aim up

11. grntitan

The pitch is off. Put a washer Or two behind the recoil pads top screw and see if it helps. Just the top screw. you usually can't adjust the pitch properly with normal comb adjustments. If that doesn't work, you may need to see a stock fitter to have them help you get it setup for you. Unfortunately trap guns are not one size fits all.

12. bodyshopdave

bodyshopdave TS Member

It has a gracoil reducer on it.Where would I put the washer?

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There are a dozen things that cause that, individually or in combination.

You don't ask a doctor to diagnose you through email. Consult a stock fitter in person.

Keller

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is it possible to raise the back of the comb (or lower the front) so that when the gun recoils backward the comb is pulling away from your cheek? If you already have it a low as possible this is probably not an option.

Also, check and see if the length of pull isn't too short. Your thumb should be about 1 - 1.5" from your nose.

If you want to play with the pitch, you'll need to put the washer between the recoil pad and the graco hardware. You may need a longer screw to hold the pad on. My son's gun took quite a bit. After we figured it out, we made the spacer out of wood.

Good luck.

15. grntitan

I forgot the Golden Clays has the Gracoil. Yeah the washer would go between the pad and Gracoil plate as stated above. Also as pointed out above, a longer screw may be needed. This is just a temporary thing to see if it helps. It won't hurt a thing to try it. If it does help, measure the amount of spacer needed and you can buy pitch spacers from places like Gamaliels that will make it more permanent looking. They come in various thicknesses and are designed for this very issue.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ertz, how much would that cost???

I know the washers .05.

17. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Sounds like a negative pitch reciol pad spacer is in order. Worked for me....

18. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Not everyone needs a custom stock. There are hundreds of great stockmakers out there. Makes little sense to put $2400 stock on a JC Higgins.

19. drejw2

drejw2 Member

I have the same problem with my K80, had the same problem with my KS5 that had a gracoil. The problem with the KS5 was resolved with adding a kick eez pitch spacer between the pad and the plate, with the largest portion up. With my K80 tried the washer method on top, started slapping more. Added to the bottom decreased the slap. Still not hundred percent but better than before. Just to tell you, if adding on top doesn't work, try on the bottom.
    Regards,
    Emil

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

May not be a pitch problem at all, maybe not enough cast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gracoil pitch adjustment