1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How difficult to stake M-12 slide lock springs?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

My Model 12 suffered a broken action slide lock spring, so I bought two new ones from Nu-Line. I also have the A.A. Arnold Winchester Model 12 take-down/assembly manual. What is the degree of difficulty for staking these springs to the trigger guard, presuming I have the right tools? Or should I really have a gunsmith take care of this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

LA in MA

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

If your not sure,have a gunsmith do it,at least it will give you piece of mind and if it breaks again you have someone to go back to.good luck

3. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

I had the same problem happen on one of my model 12"s.. Do yourself a favor and call Nu Line back and buy the whole assembly, The Action slide lock with springs. The complete assembly and dismantle the trigger assebly drop the new one in and be done with it. Its not really hard to take it apart if you take your time Richie

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I would suggest replacing the springs vs the whole assy. Not too hard to do.

You need to relieve the old staking; a thin abrasive wheel works well with a Dremel tool. Remove only enough to remove the old pieces.

Sometimes you can twist the old spring out as well as the new one in from the end without removing much staking. If they broke off flush you need to do the above.

You can duplicate the factory staking by grinding a round pin punch into a D shape.

I bought a complete assy. once and got a used piece of junk. A new one would probably be expensive and would have to be fit to the hammer.

I made up a repair kit with screwdrivers, punches, picks and enough tools to do limited repairs. A spare firing pin is also a good thing to have.

Regards....Gerald

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Not rocket science, but you do need some punches and files and a hammer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.