1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Difficult to replace Perazzi Locking bolt??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jul 10, 2013.

1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi guys,..looking to see whats involved in changing the locking bolt on a MX Perazzi...have a friend who wants to buy a gun that needs one and I'm pretty decent at hand fitting ..the guns price isn't going to leave my friend much extra cash for repairs so I'm hoping its within my abilities to do it for him...are there any good tech videos you know of out there you can point me to? If so that would be a great help in getting a new shooter I'm bringing into serious trapshooting off to a great start with the right tool to succeed...thanks CalMD

2. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

i would leave that to a proffesional. rick zino

3. dmbrassy

dmbrassy Member

Doug Braker is affordable and does excellent work!

4. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Changing isn't difficult, fitting the new one is. I suggest using a qualified gunsmith. John

5. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Calvin, Please do not attempt a locking bolt replacement on your MX-8. It requires precision grinding @ a specific angle......8 degrees etc!!!. Missing this angle will lead to top lever sticking problems, varying opening problems etc. Doug Braker is the MAN for this job. You could electroless plate nickel @ .004 inches thickness on the original bolt but this is only a temporary fix.Sincerely......Ex-Jet Boat Bill....now in Delaware

6. CalvinMD

Thanks guys,..this guns lever is left of center so maybe he should pass as I'm sure just purchasing will strain his wallet...for discussion sake,..about how much would a LB replacement run??

7. wlc

wlc Member

It is not a bad job if you have experience hand fitting metal parts and have the tools to do it. I spent many years as a tool and die maker, when my MX14 needed a new bolt I did it myself with no problems. It is important that the correct angle be maintained and that contact is equal on both sides. I used high spot bluing to check the contact as I fitted the new bolt.
    On the other hand, the guys that do this for a living don't charge much.

Charlie Becknell thanked this.
  8. vdt

vdt Active Member

if the top lever is beyond 6 O'Clock it is either crack or broken,you may not have a problem with the locking block ,to replace the top lever and the block you need professional help

9. CalvinMD

It is almost a 16th past 6 towards 7oclock

10. plaw

plaw Active Member

If it does not open when you fire it,buy it and save some$$ have it repaired later.

11. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Give it to Phillip at the Grand. Phillip's Gunsmithing.

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If you cannot afford professional repairs on a P gun you are in the wrong sport. Confucious says two types of people work on guns. Gunsmiths and fools.LOL, Jeff

13. CalvinMD

Its not quite that he cant afford it...just affording it right away after taking the initial purchase hit for a working guy is a little rough,..he wants to go at right now

14. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cal

Doug Braker uses the old locking block and welds it up then uses his serface grinder to make that angle.He has done 3 for me and the cost very resonable.

John G.

Call Me and tell me how things are going.

15. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Whiz White on SWSUPPLY.COM has a price list - $147.75 for part #104 (I believe). I've bought a couple from him - had to since I ruined the first one! :) John

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Didn't someone make a bunch of these, and other parts for a Perazzi. I remember pictures of them all piled up.

17. hera200

hera200 Member

Cal, You had better listen to VDT!! I have the same problem and talked to Ron Sharpe about it. He tells me that unlike other guns, a Perazzi lever going to centre or left is a toplever problem not the locking block. This fitting is also a job for a pro gunsmith and don,t forget to replace the spring at the same time. Don't just order lever for an MX, USE THE SERIAL # to be sure you get the right ones!!

Buy the way, I got the new parts about a year ago and have not installed them yet. Gun is still shooting just fine and shoots about 200 rounds per week. Its a 1974 model and has never had a repair! Whoever said Perazzis break often sure didn't get one like mine or else they shoot an awful lot more than I do...BUD

18. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

It's not that an average person can't fix a top lever/top lever spring or a locking bolt...it's knowing which is the problem, that's the problem.

I recently had a similar issue and $400 later I'm glad I took my 20-year old MX-8 to Dan @ Giacomo Sporting.

J.F. Wolfington
    Wilmington, DE

19. buster45

buster45 Active Member

Phillip Phillips Gun smithing. Great work reasonable a fast turn around.

Buster

20. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

A top lever going past 6 o,clock is the result of continuing the use the gun after the lever has reached the 6 o,clock position, when the wedge wears to the point of the lever going to 6 o,clock, the wedge then slams into the back of the standing breech at full speed and stops very suddenly, the lever is now going at full speed when it stop very abruptly, inertia causes the lever to keep travelling, moving it ever so slightly until it breaks inside the middle if the action. VERY EXPENSIVE

The 8 degree angle on the wedge engaging in a similar angle on the bite, (while locking the barrels down) acts as a cushioning brake on the lever speed.

BOTTOM LINE IS GET YOUR GUN SERVICED IMMEDIATELY YOU NOTICE THE TOP LEVER MOVING TO THE 6 O,CLOCK POSITION

Search tags for this page
how hard is it to change a perazzi locking block
how much does a perazzi locking block cost
how to change pko lever in a 3 die bolt maker
locking bolt perazzi
mx8 remove top lever to change out action block 104
perazzi action bolt

perazzi locking bolt

perazzi repairs to locking bolt