1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you move your gun safe .

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mnjim, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

I have a 700 pound safe in my basement. All I have to do is go up one flight of stairs. Straight shot to to the pickup box Movers want 200 bucks. Any help ??? Thanks all. MnJim

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Let'em do it....it'll be cheaper than the medical bills.

Buz

3. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

If the movers have the right kind of dolly that climbs those stairs, pay them to do it for you. It's worth it in terms of (a) they likely have moved heavy items like that before and know what they are doing, (2) your chiropractor / orthopedic doctor will remain a stranger to you and (3) you won't have to listen to your wife tell you that you're not 20 anymore and can't move mountains.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I called local lock smith that deals with safes, he hoked me up with his guy, showed up on time loaded it moved it, no problems. His dolley was definatly not the standard type. Made easy work of it. 175.00

5. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Jim, Pay the movers. I once loaned a buddy a couple of my come-alongs for a straight shot up the stairs.

He laid planks on the steps, hooked up to his truck for a dead man, and started to pull. The safe slid nicely up the planks, and about half way up the stairway busted, safe hit the floor, and his wife screamed bloody murder.

Pay the price, and let their insurance worry about any damage.

Tom R.

6. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Do what I did, I told a KNOWN crook that I know about it and, I also told him when I was not going to be Home, So I hid in the shed and when he came and got it outside I shot him, simple. LOL

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I also witnessed a stairway collapse from a pool table, make sure it can handle the load and add a few extra upright timbers to shore it up until safely off the stairs.

8. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

hell my wife carried my 800lb safe up the stairs by her self, thats why when she says shut your mouth i say----000OOOOHHHH-K HUNNY

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hire it done, verify the mover's insurance before they start. Keep out of their way and let them worry about the details. Zero risk for you and your property.

That's how I did it anyway.

10. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

Thanks guys. Most of it is B.S., but the rest makes sense. In other words, pay up or shut up and save my health. MnJim

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Since the potential for damage is very real, the insured mover is my choice.

I had no stairs and a husky brother in law and his husky pal, no problem.

Safe only had to move horizontally.

HM

12. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

Due to the army sending me to iraq for 15 month rotations twice in the last 4 years, I have had to pay my safe mover the grand total of 1000.00 for the 4 moves... but let me tell ya... ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY NOT TO DEAL WITH THAT.. the very first time i got the safe and brought it into the house.. it took 6 of us...lol now the safe mover shows up with himself, a helper and a dolly that gave me wood just looking at it...lol

Id pay.. 200 bucks is cheap.. i got that and that was cause they felt sorry for me... for going to iraq...

HT

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rick, There is a guy in Iowa that makes a safe that you can take apart. Cant recall his name right now. Maybe some of the Iowa guys know. Dave

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Rick - you should go into business - I agree with you and the man who said to take off the door. Alternatively, you can leave the safe for the new people and buy another when you get the new place. If you paid a grand for the safe, had it for 10 years, it only cost you a hundred a year. If the safe is in the basement, there are ways to secure a lighter one and not have this problem again. When they are in the basement, you probably don't need the fireproofing - which makes them really really heavy. 200 buck is not much money.

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I tell my son a fiftey dollar bill went under it and I think I will just leave it .

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

MnJim:

I moved this December. I hauled all the small stuff and hired a moving company to do the heavy lifting - including a gun safe.

At the old house it went out the door and across a nearly horizontal truck ramp. At the new place it was put on the ground with a hydraulic end gate. They used a standard appliance dolly to wheel it up the prior owner's 'handicap accessable ramp' to a spare bedroom. The total horizontal distance at both places was maybe 65' - 70 feet with no stairs.

The bottom line? It was the best $80 bucks I've spent in a long time.

sissy

PS: They wouldn't even quote a price to put it in the basement at the new place.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Never underestimate how a case of quality beer can get a safe moved.

18. ken a

ken a Member

When I bought my liberty safe they sent one guy about 165 lbs out to my house. I never seen anything like it. Hydraulic lift on a hydraulic motorized dolly. Seeing just one guy I asked if he needed help and he says please show me where and stay clear please, okkkkk. He brought it up the steps around corners and into my office so easy you couldn't believe. Leave moving up to people that have the right equipment and make sure they do before hiring them.

19. PVH

PVH TS Member

Here is a web site for take apart safes that I ran across in a post on another forum. The company is based in Iowa, so this may be the same as the one that grunt referred to in his post.

http://www.zanottiarmorsafes.com/

20. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Take the door off. Rent a refrigerator dolly. Dolly has straps to attach it to the safe (door/body) and moveable runners that will slide on the edge of the steps. Get a block and tackle or come-a-long to pull it up the stairs. We put one that weighed 1000 pounds (600 box & 400 door) down a basement stairs that had a 90 degree turn at the top AND bottom of the stairs.

I moved my Browning 1000 lb. safe by laying it down (box only) on a 4 wheel dolly (built to handle 1000 pounds) and pulled it up the ramp into my trailer with a come-a-long. I also moved my lathe and mill with the same dolly. Fairly easy if you have the right equipment.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.