1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you get sucked into shooting trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
    I was a bullseye and bowling pin shooter before I started shooting shotgun. One night after pin shooting, my nephew and a couple guys that I shot hand gun with, came down fron the trap range and told me they had something new for me to try. I was a little hesitant but gave in after about 10 minutes.

They took me up to the trap range where they proceeded to put a shotgun in my hands. It was a Baretta Mark2. They took me over to position 3 and one of them stood behind me, more or less to coach me. They explained the rules and what was expected of me.Showed me how to hold the gun, even though it didn't fit then called for a bird.

With each shot i got the old behind it, above it and so on. As we progressed through the 25 birds I found myself hitting more and more. The last seven or so birds I had a nice streak and hit them all. I hit 16. I was sold on this game.

The next day I kept thinking about shooting birds, and that evening went out and bought a Browning pigeon grade woth a 34" barrel. The gun fit great. It really swung easy, I figured I could hit them all.

The following week after pin shooting I hurried up to the trap range man I was gonna get them all. It didn't happen that way though. I only hit 13. Couldn't figure out why. It seemed so easy the previous week. As I walked off the line one of the guys said to me " Wasn't as easy tonight was it?" I said hell no I can't figure it out. He then told me that before my arrival on the range they had fixed the machine to throw all the birds to the same spot. Made it easy for me.

After the second night I figured they weren't going to leave me in the dust, and everyday the range was open I was there. Got my first 25 somewhere around the fifth time out.

And that is how I got sucked into the trap game. I was trapped so to speak. Bulge.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I got hooked as a teenager only it wasn't really trap it was just clay targets thrown off a Trius. That lead to reloading shotshells etc. but I didn't shoot trap on a real trap field until I was out of college. Always wanted to shoot more of it but couldn't really afford to do it much so I played other shooting games that fit my income better.

Now days I get to shoot trap a couple of times per week and still look forward to every time I get to go to the line.
  3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I lived out in the country, and I was always shooting my .22 rifle or my .22 Ruger.

I worked at John Deere and one of my fellow workers told me about this trap league and would I be interested in shooting it.

I said, I'd give it a try if I could shoot a practice round to see whether I liked it or not.

I too shot a 16 on my first round..............and was hooked.

That was about 40 years ago...........The guy that got me interested quit on me the very next year. lol

I did go on and join the ATA and started shooting registered.

Back when I started shooting registered, I could shoot 16s, handicap and doubles.............300 targets for $18.00. And shot was around $4.50 a bag or so. A 12 pound keg of 700X was $23.00.

Ah, the good old days!

Wvuarmyeng thanked this.
  4. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My ex-father-in-law got me into it. They had a trap in the back yard. He taught me the basics and off we went. Fennwood in Bellvue was my first shoot. I think I broke a 68 in singles. I started a little later than Hauxfan. Shot was $9.00 a bag and 700 X was about $40.00 for a 12 lb. metal keg.

Good times.

Mike Adcock
  5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

May 27, 2007
    First year of college and one of my new schoolmates found out I was into firearms. Asked me if I ever shot trap. I said: what's that? He said he'll pick me Saturday morning and took me to what is now the North Jersey Clay Target Club in Fairfield, NJ (I lived in West Caldwell, NJ at the time). We used his Winchester 1200 with modified choke. The rest is history.
  6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    In the Cabana
    When I was a kid I bought a hand thrower and had a MEC 600 jr loader, every Saturday night when I was home alone on the farm I would reload a bunch of shells and the next day for our religion we would shoot at clay pigeons, I know it wasn't trap but I made enough money off selling shells to friends and relatives that I bought an 870 Trap and it's all history since
  7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
    In 1977, I was working at Plainsman Sports in Lethbridge, Alberta (wonderful gun shop, wonderful people) and Ken Kotkas, the owner said I should come out and try trapshooting. I'd never been to a trap range before and didn't know much about it, just that he was a top shooter in Alberta. So I show up one day with a BRNO SxS Side-lock 12ga. and gave it a shot. Hooked, immediately and also realized the SxS wasn't the gun for the job, so I traded it off on a Win. 101 Broadway and been doing it ever since. Began registering targets in 1978.

For any of you that knew Ken back in the day, his oldest son Kerwin passed away last week of MS which he has been battling since 1986. Condolences can be sent online at Nelson Funeral Home, Logan, Utah.

Ron Burr
  8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    A shooter comes up to the station and loads just one shell. He then dances around the station till he is happy with his position. He then in time will call for the target and then shoot. He then has to talk about that target for X amount of time. He will then load another shell and then dance around the station till he is in position and then in time shoots the target. Talk some more then move off the station.

I get up and load two shells and shoot and then move on to the next station. Its a set pattern and speed. To easy. People take to long to shoot a round. You can shoot two rounds of trap to one round of skeet. I don't look good in a Tutu. Have any of you seen a rule book on skeet? Picky Picky Picky. Worst then a bunch of old lady's.
  9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I think Hauxfan must have had the same devious type of friends that I had, (but from his handle we must both be Iowans). Even the prices match, I started shooting games and practice in the early 60s thanks to my "friends??" and while I didn't shoot an ATA target until the mid 80s I was hooked. Joined as as a life member in 87, shot ATA for a few years never was very good but do have a few trinkets hanging on the wall. Still do shoot a little. Now @ age 71 just don't have the enthusiasm or funds that I once had, also wifes cancer kinda changes my priorities, she is in remission now for 2 years THANK YOU DEAR GOD. Ross Puls
  10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2007
    I,too, was a pistol and rimfire fanatic in my youth. I worked hard to become an NRA Master. We always shot some clays on the farm preparing for Upland season, but that was it. At 50 I got Commander's eyes, and began to loose interest in shooting.

A gun shop buddy convinced me to join him at a local Skeet range. Skeet is OK, but...... From there I got introduced to Sporting Clays - Damn -that's fun! When the economy started closing the Sporting ranges, we went to a Trap club just for something to shoot. New friends and the ATA Doubles keeps me in the game. Though, it's getting harder to get away from responsibilities, and to justify the expenses.

When I was traveling for work, I enjoyed shooting local tourney's when I could. I packed a shotgun for 6 years. I've met a lot of good people over the years at the gun clubs around the US.

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I was a 30 year duck hunter, and used to shoot pasture clays to get ready for the season. One time, a hunting buddy said he had gone out to the gun club and shot some targets, and it sounded like fun. I got hooked on targets instead of ducks, and the rest is history. I am now one of those over worked, under paid volunteers at the gun club. It has been a good retirement activity. I don't shoot registered targets, but look forward to range days every week, and have yet to miss cleaning ducks. Mark
  12. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Conrad, Mondamtana
    When you started was it black powder or smokeless? Sorry, I couldn't resist, no disrespect meant, just a little humor.
    5 years ago my wife and I started because she couldn't hit birds when we were hunting, so I said, lets join the trap club and you will get sharpened up. 5 years later she is the secretary and I the President of the Trap club and we have a nice new facility and are adding on. Funny how you cannnot always see whats coming, but it was good for us. Scott
  13. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I never really got sucked into it.....I like to shoot, reload, and enjoy the folks at the two clubs I belong to....it is fun. Some folks like Golf or pitching horse-shoes...for me it is trap....Hit them all!
  14. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My father was an upland bird hunter so that is were I started shooting a shotgun. His friend got me into dove and non-registered skeet shooting.

One day when the skeet range was busy and no one was shooting trap, I took my 20 ga Win 101, put in a full choke, took 2 boxes of 7/8 oz of #8 shot over to the trap range. Signed up for 2 rounds. Shot low gun like hunting and hit 19. I thought boy is ain't hard. Shot the next round pre-mounted and ran 23 straight. Started thinking this is easy maybe I should shoot competitively, lost. Started thinking, I would have gotten that if I had a 12 ga, lost. Now if I can just stop thinking when I am shooting I could be a force to contend with. lol :)

15. dshot

dshot Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Sporting clays got way too costly. a big shoot would run around $2000.00 for the weekend, back in the early 90's.
  16. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2008
    At the Kingsburg Gun Club in California in Spring of 2005, shooting on Sundays when they are open to the public. Shot first Toonament first weekend of September 2005, hooked ever since. I became a member of KGC after working my way in. Great club and people there.

I remember my first toonament and Gil Martinusen (God be with him now)classified me D-20yd. Because he knew me and had seen me shoot. I asked him how all this worked and he said I'll put you on lead off and you will be the squad leader, you'll do just fine. And I did. It just got better every time after that.
  17. dhip

dhip Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Let's see,just over three years ago now.Was chatting to a new bus driver,he mentioned it,I told him I tried it when I was a teen,couldn't hit a clay bird to save my life,but could nail the pheasants ,rabbits,etc.Had a younger cousin who could smoke them,pride made me say H-ll with the clays,I'll stick to the live stuff.He asked me to go to the gun club,and see what he could do to get me to hit them.Took my ol' Stevens pump,full choke up to the club,did what he said and broke better than 50% first try.He convinced me that was good,and I'd only get better if I continue to practice what he taught me.THEN,the BIG mistake.Seen a fella from where I use to work.He had a little Citori O/U,,let me mount it.Felt so good,the next Sunday I took a looking only trip to Cabela's,,trouble was,A citori O/U wound up hitching a ride home with me.This past spring,same fella,sold me a BT99,I shoot it better,he said he felt the release trigger would give me an extra bird or 2.He was right again.I might be hooked,reloading also,if it wasn't for the economy the way it is,I might be in deep doo doo before long.It's the only thing that keeps me at this slow pace of collecting and trying out more guns,etc.

Doug H.
  18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Apr 28, 2006
    NW Wisconsin
    I needed a diversion from business rigors and form the care of an ailing wife. I grabbed up my M37 and shot a league locally. That year I also found that buying guns was fun and bought a 1100 trap and a M12 trap. Then I found some coaching and was off to the races. '86
  19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin
    The first week that I returned home from the Army I was driving and noticed an elderly man walking with a gas can in his hand. Long story short, his name was Syd (Jesse) James, and I gave him a lift to get some gas and drove him back to his vehicle.

While driving, I told him that I just returned from being in the Army and we started talking about shooting guns. He invited me out to the local gun club on Saturday and he let me use a pre 64 model 12 trap grade plus he purchased some new shells for me to shoot that day.

I only shot an 8 and a 9 but fell in love with the sport. The next Saturday, he called me and asked if I wanted to shoot with him again. I told him only if I could pay for my own shooting. I said do you have an extra gun that I can shoot?

I met him out at the gun club and he said to try this 870 TB. He said if you can break a score of 10, it's yours. I broke a 12 and he gave me the gun.

We became best of friends and sorry to say he is no longer with us. Over the years I followed Syd's example by helping out young shooters when I financially could do so.

I miss Syd to this day and I will always appreciate his kindness and genorosity that he showed me.
    Steve Balistreri
  20. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Jan 6, 2006
    I took it as a Phys. Ed. course as an undergrad in college!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??......GUNS IN SCHOOL!!.....My how things have changed......Uncle Sam, Pa.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.