1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you get into trapshooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grouper, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grouper

grouper TS Member

Hello trapshooters. I just starting trapshooting last fall and have really fallen in love with the sport. I first shot clay with a handheld thrower on my aunt's farm back in 1990. I used her Ithica 12G side by side and a JC Penny 20 gauge. I didn't hit too may clays that day, but this was my humble introduction to the sport.

I often enjoy reading the threads here and was curious how you all got into the sport originally.

All my best,

Grouper

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Where I am at tight now, got started about 4 years ago.

I was working to many hours, not having anytime for myself and stressing about work and home life, decided that I need some "me" time and try to make contacts that would help bring buisness into the little shop my dad and I have.

I got my start with firearms, although I don't remember to much about the beginning, at the ripe age of ten days old, thats when I got my first firearm for Christmass. by the age of ten years old I was doing well enough to go hunting with the old guy's and wasn't getting my a$$ kicked for doing stupid things out there, and also able to disassemble repair or refinish any Smith and Wesson revolver, even retime it, if needed.

At 14 I was helping my dad, unload trucks or load trucks for a gent that was heavily envolved in trap shooting, and got some time in handsetting at a winter chain shoot.

By 16 I was reloading shells for and handsetting for a one trap club that several of my dads friends belonged to.

By eightteen I had been with my dad and a friend at the club I shoot at now, for some skeet shooting.

I spent as much time mostly with my dad and several of his good friends hunting almost as much as it is possible to hunt and still have full time jobs.

And at 42 with most of the old crowd either past on or to old to get out hunting I found my relief at the trap and skeet club. I tried trap skeet and five stand, at first it was 5 stand was way to humbling, and trap felt to easy, so I shot a skeet league, but in watching what was going on around me, and eyeing one day jumping into doing gun repair on the chain, repairing trap guns looked to have more potential, then most anything else so I started shooting trap that winter.

So here I am a new and first time granddad, enjoying all the up's and downs of shooting trap, and even when I have bad days really enjoying myself.

Almost as much as those few days that I can get my dad and a couple other old friends out for opening day DOVE hunting and BBQ, that has been a tradition for many years!

Al

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I started as a 10 year old trap boy. I have not missed too many weekends from a gun club since that time.

Pat Ireland

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I shot skeet in our back yard (mechanical thrower bolted onto a big wooden cable spool) with my step dad when I was in high school. He taught me how to shoot shotguns, pistols, rifles, and archery. He wanted someone with whom to hunt and compete. I never shot at anything when I hunted...couldn't do it even when I had a great opportunity for a shot. But I didn't tell him.

I figured I'd be a better target shooter than a hunter, but I stopped shooting guns while I was in high school, when my love of archery took over. I always said I would get back into shooting some day.

I shot rifles sometimes when a freind would invite me to the range...same with pistols.

I started dating this guy, and I mentioned to him that I liked to shoot and wanted to get back into it some day, and he smiled and said that he was a trap shooter. I asked him what that was compared with skeet, and he invited me to the club to watch.

I went and watched and met some of the shooters. On our way out, a friend of his came walking up with two boxes of shells, gave them to me, and said "These are for YOU to shoot next time you are here. DON'T GIVE THEM TO THAT MAN STANDING NEXT TO YOU, they are for you only. The guy I was with laughed, and said he would bring a gun for me to try the next time we came.

I shot in the twenties that first night I tried. Hooked, hooked, hooked....forevermore...on trap shooting that is.

5. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Went to the Grand in Vandalia since I was about 19 or so. Always loved the atmosphere there. All the shooting and especially the vendors row. I did a lot of hunting and shooting but not trap. Always seamed too busy to be bothered.

Anyway about seven years ago I started to shoot trap at a place a bunch of buddies built from scratch. Never shot an ATA target until I shot the Grand although I did shoot here for two years first. Shot a 99 in my first registered shoot(the Grand)and later that year joined the Clark County Sportsman's Club.

Still shoot at the place we built every once in a while, but the owner is in not to good a shape health wise these days. So I don't go there very often anymore.

Funny how we had a decent size group to shoot there most of the time and can't get three shooters to shoot at the club registered shoots anymore.

Rock

Jim

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

First shoot at the trap we made.

7. calilori

calilori TS Member

I was bored last summer and I knew of a couple people who were trapshooters, so, being the teacher that I am....I decided to do my homework and was researching when I found this site and everybody started encouraging so I called up Kym aka rmngtngrl who was holding a women's clinic where I shot only 4 out of 75 targets and the rest is history....fairly recent history since that was just this past summer, but history nontheless.

Devi, it's good to see you posting.

8. recurvyarcher

Hi, Lori.

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Are you ready for this ??? I started shooting trap when they offered it as a Phys-Ed course in college !!!!....UNBELIEVABLE !!! I took the class and was hooked !! How sad....the mere mention of guns in almost any school now gets you reprimanded if not arrested !! What a bunch of crap !!.....Uncle Sam...College Grad...Edinboro University 1973(Still don't know nothin'!!)

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Fell in with bad company. I used to be happy. I used to have a life. If I ever remember who talked me into registered shooting, I will put them on my list.

11. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

About 35 years ago while I was a Marine Recruiter stationed in Salt Lake City my neighbor from across the street came over one Tues night and asked me if I wanted to go "trap shooting". I thought the guy was just a bit crazy anyway and since it was snowing and cold as hell I figured he had pretty much stepped off the deep end but what the heck, I was up for anything. He brought his 2 old Mod 12s and we stood out in the snow and shot protection shoots with about 15 or 20 others. To make a long story short, him and I are still shooting together after all these years. A better friend you couldn't ask for and if I'm really lucky, he lets me womp him ever once in awhile. Thanks Hal Robbins.

Don Myers

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

By accident. When I married into my wife's family (from the South), to fit in I had to learn to shoot - they took me out into the country and taught me shoot with shotguns and .22s . An uncle told me to go home and buy a Belgium Browning Auto5 (26 improved cylinder/28 modified) I ended up finding a Superposed Broadway in a consignment case (what did I know?!)

Then I found my Park District offered classes. I took one, then kept coming back - I got into trapshooting entirely by accident - that was 20 years ago!

Jay

13. recurvyarcher

<html xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
    xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word"
    xmlns:st1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
    <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
    <meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>
    <meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11">
    <meta name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 11">
    <link rel=File-List href="16B4A405_files/filelist.xml">
    <o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"
    name="City"/>
    <o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"
    name="place"/>

<style>

</style>

</head>

<body lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><span
    style='font-size:14.0pt'>Gary</span></st1:place></st1:City><span
    style='font-size:14.0pt'>,<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:14.0pt'><o:p> </o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>Would that be a
    "good" list?<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>For example:<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;
    tab-stops:list .5in'><![if !supportLists]><span style='font-size:14.0pt;
    font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:Symbol'><span
    style='mso-list:Ignore'>&middot;<span style='font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>
    </span></span></span><![endif]><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>Fresh air and the
    smell of Federal Papers<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;
    font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:Symbol'><span
    </span></span></span><![endif]><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>The excitement
    you feel when you broke your best score<o:p></o:p></span></p>

</span></span></span><![endif]><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>Impaling <span
    class=SpellE>furbies</span> (well….maybe that’s not exactly trap-related)<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span class=GramE><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>or</span></span><span
    style='font-size:14.0pt'> a "bad" list?<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2;
    </span></span></span><![endif]><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>Missing one
    target out of a hundred…the LAST target<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2;
    </span></span></span><![endif]><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>Finding out you
    left your prescription shooting glasses back at home and you are 3 states away
    at a satellite grand.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

</span></span></span><![endif]><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>2 hours after
    Taco Bell<o:p></o:p></span></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

14. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

hey The Rock, thats about as good a back ground as anyone could ask for! ok i got started in 68 home from the service and my dad and bro.inlaw were both shooting, had a field grade mdl. 12 and very little money,shot was $4.50 a bag!

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I shot clay pigeons over hand traps some as a kid growing up in Ky.I was introduced to regulation skeet by Lloyd Woodhouse while a student at Chanute AFB ILL.in 1969. When I went to Altus AFB OK., I startd shooting skeet an ocassionally trap.My girlfriend(now my wife) started shooting with me on base. After we were married I got orders back to Chanute to be an Acft. Maint. instructor and Lloyd Woodhouse put me on the Base Skeet team. My wife never did like Skeet as much as Trap so I shot Trap, but not registered. We shot a lot of "meat" shoots and money shots at small clubs in ILL. Morris Steinbring was shooting out of Ill. and was living in the area back then running a huge hog farming operation with his brother Roger. He asked me why I didn't shoot Registered ATA trap and suggested I try it. My wife and I shot our first registered targets at McCown Gun Club in 1973. Since then we have put a lot of lead(and a considerable amout of money) down our gun barrels. It's been a hoot, but I still kid Morris about all the money he has cost me over the last 34 years!

16. grouper

grouper TS Member

Hey, thanks for sharing everyone. I enjoy hearing about the earlier days before audible trap releases. My father-in-law and I shot a couple of rounds at Silver Dollar over the holidays and he was telling me about when he was in high school and used to sit in the trap house and release the clay by hand from the throwers. that impressed me quite a bit.

Grouper (A reference to my favorite fish!)

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I was always into guns, shooting and hunting but knew nothing of the clay target sports and thought "trap and skeet" were interchangable terms. I started hanging out in a local gunshop and then working there in the winter. The owner kept hounding me to come out and try trapshooting. I procrastinated for a while and then bit the bullet and went out adn gave it a try....knew I had found my passion right off and the rest is history.....that was 30 years ago this month!!

18. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

Grew up hunting and fishing with my Grandpa and shooting pigeons with my

Brother and friends.

Got out of the Army in 1972 and started shooting trap to spend time with my

Dad and Brother. Went back in the Army in 1973 and kept shooting at my various

postings. Never shot registered, but enjoy the sport and many friendships.

Gary

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Recurvy, like many other people, I guess I have flitted from one hobby to the next, from duplicate bridge to off shore fishing and lots in between. Then there was trapshooting. Afer 7 years, I am stuck at short yardage and barely hanging on to class A in singles and doubles. Not a lot to celebrate. Like I said, I used to be happy. The only good things about trapshooting is that it is cheaper than owning a boat or going elk hunting.

20. tallengnr

tallengnr TS Member

I had just started shooting rifles/pistols when in Feb-05, I purchased a used Springfield M1A. While doing the FFL transfer, the original owner of the M1A said he was going with some buddies to BLM land to shoot and did I want to come?

When I got arrived, some of the guys were shooting shotguns at hand-thrown clays. I stood there watching for awhile until one of the guys (edbon on ts.com) crammed a shotgun in my hands and said "try it". I smacked a couple targets and the grin on my face went from ear to ear.

After telling one of my co-workers what fun I had at the shoot, he suggested that I try the local trap club in Livermore, Ca near where we worked.

The rest, as they say is history, along with many thousands of dollars in shotguns and shells :)...oh, and that grin is still there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

morris steinbring silver dollar gun club