1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you "cure" your worst shooting problem???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

How did you

Trapshooting has been a journey for me. I have gone from one problem to the next. I thought it would be interesting to hear from others regarding their worst shooting problem and how they fixed it.
    My shooting nightmare was shooting left angles off post 1,2, and sometimes 3. I struggled with this for about 12 years before figuring out what my problem was. I was not holding the gun tight enough and keeping my head on the gun tight enough. I heard Randy and Nora Ross telling my shooting buddy that his gun was moving around too much on his shoulder and used that information to help me. I have made a determined effort to move the gun with my body which helped me stay with the gun . It had always seemed "I was not seeing the target right" on left angles. Hopefully, I am past this problem.

Charlie

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

How did you

Bad, bad flinch. Almost ruined all of my shooting. Cured with release triggers in all of my shotguns.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

How did you

Still working at it. Jake

4. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

How did you

I practiced my gun mount and move on the Jordan Wall Chart for 30 days, at least 100 moves per day. Then I took two days off. Next I shot at least 100 singles birds a day, four days a week, for four weeks. Then I took two weeks off. Next I sold my guns, reloading equipment, shell pouches and vests, and took up chess. I'm much happier.

Merry Christmas.

Danny

5. ismah

ismah Member

How did you

Keeping gun shouldered after pulling trigger for an extra second cured several of my problems. "Follow Through" is holding it still for that small amount of time after firing. Solved my flinch, I'm smoother to target now and I'm shooting better. Don't pull the trigger and drop you gun in one motion. You'll shoot better too.

6. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

How did you

TOOK UP BOWLING.......... JIM

7. Charlie Becknell

How did you

Quit shooting is not a cure to a particular problem, it may be an alternative. I want to know how you discovered the cure for your problem, and how you went about repairing it.

Charlie

8. coho

coho Member

How did you

Hard left birds from post one and soft left angle birds from post two. I’m a left handed shooter so the swing pulls the gun away from my face. I cured this by putting my back to the other shooters when I’m on those posts. My right shoulder is pointing at the trap house and my feet are parallel to it. I can barely shoot a bird if it comes out to the right, I’m facing away that far. It made a huge difference in my scores. I use to run all the other posts then drop all on post 1 and any left angle birds from two. Now I shoot those posts the best.

9. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

How did you

DIVORCED HER> THANKS TIM

10. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

How did you

I have DryFire with the squading add-on. shoot at least 400 singles a week, no worry about snow or rain. Will be increasing the amount of shooting. This system is not static, you shoot a simulated targets.

46_trap

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

How did you

Charlie,

You are a highly respected Physician ... from what I've heard the "go to guy" when other docs are stumped or need help. God has given you a gift beyond measure, helping others.

Trapshooting, though fun, is only a game. Enjoy the journey and the learning process. We all share your frustrations with a game that when watching Harlan or Leo looks so easy. I'm sure your medical skills took a lot more dedication than you imagined when you started...put that same amount of time and effort into trap and you would be a BigDog too.

Happy New Year Charlie! See you at one of the shoots!

Bob

12. Charlie Becknell

How did you

Bob,
    Thank you for the kind remarks. I thought it would be interesting to see how people finally figured out their problems and shot better. I bet some will read the post and see their problem. I sure hope it doesn't take as long as mine did to find a solution. By the way, you are right about the helping others. There is no better feeling in the world than helping someone.

Charlie Becknell
    www.daklex.com

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

How did you

I used Sports Hypnosis to cure a devastating flinch. I used positive re enforcement and discipline to overcome it instead of going to a release trigger. Most folks with a release trigger still flinch, just not as often.

I train folks with sidearm, Patrol Rifle, and Shotgun. The sidearm and Patrol Rifle are not available with release triggers. LOL

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    How did you

Ended crossfiring and one-eyed shooting (and its inherent lack of 3D vision and judgment of distance) by using a Uni-Dot, as suggested by a member here some years back.<br>
    <br>
    The second problem was gun fit. Went to a monte carlo stock, as suggested by some members and also by Rollin, made understandable by his book. The POI was raised and the gun shot where I looked.

15. Charlie Becknell

How did you

Sporting Coach, wish I had been able to do that but I believe my flinch is so bad that it would take a miracle to cure and would be of Biblical portions.

Brian, I have seen Rollin post on here from time to time, I don't have his book but have considered buying it.

Charlie

16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

How did you

Once in a while I'll put my TB in timeout and shoot something else. When I get old Tibbie back out, she performs well.

Seriously, my only "serious" problem has been the inability to shoot a stackbarrel well. I've had a bunch, from a 101 trap, to a citori sporting, to a Daley trap, to a Citori Trap, and now have a Cynergy. I can't seem to hit good scores with the bottom barrel, regardless of choke. I shoot the top barrel well. This has been the pattern with every one of them. POIs are uniformly at the same place. I'm sure it is a mental thing. 36 years of shooting a single has conditioned me somehow to want the barrel right under my eye. I don't seem to have a problem on game or at skeet with an over/under.

I'd appreciate a suggestion...other than a shrink. In our wonderful state, seeing a psychiatrist can get your firearms owner's card pulled, and though we are all a little nuts, that is too much.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

How did you

Flimch, cured with a release trigger. Best thing I've ever done to help fix my major problem.

18. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

How did you

Divorced my wife.She wanted to spend shooting money on luxuries like food and clothes.

19. mirage1

mirage1 Member

How did you

I think all shooting is constant adjustment, at least for me-especially
    as we start to get older. Light seems to be a big factor with me and
    cross dominace is taking over now. I have shot skeet a lot and it seems
    just when you think you can run 24's or 25 in your sleep all of a sudden
    to can't hit a thing on a certain station. I would keep expermenting and seeking knowledge and of course pratice as much as possible. Rome
    wasn't built in a day.If your just starting to shoot now is the time
    to get some coaching from a pro before you develope a lot of bad habits.
    Good luck.
    Joe

20. Juiceman

Juiceman Member

How did you

Charlie,
    You know me, I just shoot 4 or 5 hundred targets a year, not enough to develop a problem.

Ronnie Davis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.