1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW DID WEIGHT GAIN OR LOSS, EFFECT YOUR SHOOTING?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    for most of my life i have been over weight. recently i had a big scare, my bp went up tp 199/98. the doctor told me i would probably have a stroke if i didn't make some life style changes. i started excersising, stoped drinking 6 cans of coke per day, started eating healthy again and cut my portions big time. in 3 weeks i have lost 10 lbs. when i look in the mirror, i think i have even lost one or two of my chins. i have more energy, my bp medicine was changed, and along with my life style changes, my bp is at 160/80. i go in to see the doctor for a weekly bp check. obviously my life is more important than trapshooting, but i am very sincere about takling off some weight. if any of you have lost weight, or gained weight, how did it effect your shooting. did you have to me any adjustments to your stock in any way?

steve balistreri

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Steve my medical situation is similar. Shooting won't kill us everything around us might. I'd always thought that the Browning factory stocks on my Citori Trap and BT-99 were a great fit. After loosing 30+ lbs. (found out I have diabetes, hbp) my weight loss has made my fit even better, it appears like I'm not trying to burry my face in the stock. What I thought was a good fit, probably was not. I'm trying to live better, exercise and do the weight loss thing but sometimes I fall off the wagon so to speak but, than I get back on track for a few months. I'm better than what I was 12-18 months ago for sure. Good luck, don't let it get you down. Accept good and bad days.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The major effect weight loss (or gain) will likely have on your shooting is how the stock of your gun fits you. One usually immediately noticeable change will be in how your cheek (now slimmer) fits on the comb, thus changing how you see the bead line up. If you have an adjustable comb, you may need to adjust the left/right position of the comb to compensate for weight loss. It can also change the relationship in the LOP, with weight loss from from the shoulder area changing the effective LOP, and this might need some adjustment. You can, of course, simply learn to shoot a non-adjustable gun by changing the hold slightly to compensate for weight losses/gains, but if your gun is adjustable, it will be a fairly simply process to adjust for the weight changes, depending on how drastic they are.

Jim R

4. senior smoke

spanky- losing weight is one of the toughest things i have ever attempted. i do feel better, after losing only 10 lbs. i have already noticed my site picture when i shoot appears a little different. i know a top area shooter years ago was one of the best 16yd shooters in this area. the guy was a machine. he lost a lot of weight and it took years to get his shooting like he use to. he even switched guns because his site picture was so differnt.
    steve

5. senior smoke

jimr-i never thought weight loss would effect lop. it makes sense.
    steve

6. senior smoke

what i forgot to ask everyone, since your weight loss or weight gain, are your scores on a whole any better?
    steve

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

How you handle recoil and gunfit. Get an adj comb and you will probably have to raise and move the comb around a bit.

8. smp005

smp005 Member

Steve,

I battled colon problems most of last winter, beginning with being very ill the end of October. I dropped 25lbs in less than a month. Once I regained my strength I started shooting again - major adjustments were needed! I shot over everything by at least a foot! I had a RAD III system on my MX2000 stock that could not be adjusted enough to work. I ended up buying another MX2000 stock...

9. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

My weight changes all the time. I usually gain 10 lbs or so in the winter and by the end of the summer I will have lost all or most of it. My face changes a lot so how my shooting is effected is in my stock fit. So this week I bought a PFS and I hope this will solve my problems. Good luck and keep loosing that weight!

Dave

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

It always apeared to me short and stocky with no neck was the best build for trap shooting. Just look at the Big Dogs not much skin and bones there. Well it did not work for me and now I'm on the diet wagon for health reasons myself the problem seems to be when I decieded to quit smoking I just threw the pack away and that was it but with eating I just can't quit so portion control and low fat are my choices now much much harder.

11. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Steve, I dropped 60 lbs over a year's time. I am shooting better, have more stamina. Had to adjust comb up, and over to make up for the change. I had to do this a couple or three times. The main thing is I feel much better, and I'm able to do a lot more. J.W.

12. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I lost 120 lbs (my ex-wife) and my shooting improved twice fold. I did loss about 20 lbs for real and it did change a few things for me but nothing drastic.

13. smp005

smp005 Member

J.W. - I feel the same way... Losing the weight gave me alot more energy and I feel much better.. I am shooting better that I ever did but I had to raise my comb alot since I lost weigth in my face as well..

Losing the weight was a good thing but I would not want to lose it again in the same manner... :-(

14. samiam03

samiam03 Member

My mantra is: Hunger is your friend. Hunger is your friend. Hunger is your friend.

27 lbs and losing. Hard to do but I'm back to 120/80

15. abiezer

abiezer Guest

portion size and low fat is about the worst way to try and lose weight.
    You don't have to feel hungry to lose weight.
    Learn how the bodybuilders do things,they can eat 2600-4000 calories a day,still lose weight,and be quite lean.I went from 199lbs to 184lbs in 5-6 weeks on a modified Keto/carb cycling diet about 2 months ago.

16. senior smoke

samiam03- "hunger is a good thing" i will have to start using that. when i was a kid, i looked like larry mendello on leave it to beaver. i was one of the thinest people in my entire relation. my grandma was 280 lbs, 4' 10" and looked like a coke machine with a head on top of it. i was about 100 lbs overweight, and the relatives thought i was ill because i was not not as fat as they were.

EE- i am a worry wart, but this health issue is something to really worry about. thats the reason i am trying really hard to correct things.

to the rest of you that have lost weight, congratulations, boy it's a hard thing to do.
    steve

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The "PUSH Diet" is the best diet.

Curt

18. samiam03

samiam03 Member

There are thousands of fad diets out there. Most of us are trying to avoid hypertension and diabetes. We need to talk to our Doctors, avoid the fads, and add more fruits and vegetables and portion control. It kills me that I can only have two beers a day - but hey I like losing 27 pounds. There is only one true formula for losing weight: Less input more output. A diet can be designed to integrate both - it just takes imagination. The importance of consulting your doctor is to control the possibility of going Hypoglycemic and what to do if it happens and it will happen.

Sam

19. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Battled weight all my adult life. Hasn't affected shooting to any extent other than my brother's TC with monte carlo seems to kick harder than my TB with straight stock, same loads. I prefer to refer to my belly as my "stabilizer" which works like the rods archers put on the front of their bows. Helps reduce muzzle flip, recoil, vibration, and makes me look like the average trapshooter.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Steve, it sounds like you've made some great changes which will have a very positive impact on the rest of your life. Good for you! You're doing exactly the right things. Slow and steady though, so that you don't fall off the wagon when you encounter a plateau. Good luck.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.