1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How di we ever Graduate from School??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by davetrack, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davetrack

davetrack TS Member

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

Scenario 1:
    Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
    1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
    Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
    1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it .

Scenario 3:
    Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
    1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
    1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
    2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse , Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair w ith the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
    Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
    1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock .
    2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
    Pedro fails high school English.
    1957 - Pedro goes to summer school , passes English and goes to college.
    2010 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
    Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
    1957 - Ants die.
    2010 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
    Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee . He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1957 - ? In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up!!

Making a college education a norm, has sure caused some abnormalities!!!

3. SeanGamble

SeanGamble TS Member

Im a high school student and drove the pickup truck to School last year. I Forgot the hunting knife on the dashboard and empty shell hulls in the bed, so the school cop and the dean came and pulled me out of class. They asked me why the knife and shells were there and I told them I was hunting the last weekend and I got off on a warning. Obviously I wasn't going to hurt anyone so I didn't see any reason to even pull me out, the knife was in The truck not my pocket. Scared the crap outa me.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Not only did I take my gun to school so I could squirrel hunt after school, I drove the farm truck 1937 dodge to school and I was 13. Times have changed

5. lostandout

lostandout Member

when i was in school we were aloud to put our guns in our lockers if we walked to school so we could hunt on the way home we had hunter safety in the school gym

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

We played mumble-peg in the school yard every day in grammar school. Sometimes, the male teachers would play. Every boy carried a knife. And that was in a large school in California.

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

What has really changed is the standardized state required curriculum. Most of us could not pass the state test for graduation. Algebra is now taught in elementary school. The history books make up "stuff" about minorities, including "same sex studies". No shop classes [a real tragedy]. Chemistry and physics classes are very sophisticated. P.E. is only one year. It is a real challenge for the teachers to handle the student behaviors AND deliver the curriculum. I was in three highs schools daily supervising new student teachers... of course now, we have no new teachers because there are no jobs. Yes, times have changed. Fred

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Supreme Court Justice Nino Scalia and I were recalling the days in the 1950s when we routinely carryied our .22 target rifles to and from school on the NYC subway.

9. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

All people listed here that state they carried knives, guns etc to school in the 50'6 60's (as I did also) were raised by good parents that taught us respect for life and other peoples property. We were educated by teachers with common sense and core values. We knew there was a price to pay for doing wrong, a padling (whipping)in school and another when we got home. We never ever considered doing what the current TV, internet, computor game generation will do for any reason that upsets them no matter how trivial.

Seangamble: you are one lucky young man in todays climit. I am amazed that the cop and school official had enough sense to know the differance. Now days there is no room for common sense under todays laws.

Our public school system is a shamble. Even some of the Negro parents in Atlanta stood up for the administration,(source The Drudge Report), that school oficials and teachers had been cheating on grades to get bonuses and grant money.

10. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

When I lived in Washington, DC I was fifteen back in 1960 and a rifle shooter. Two times a week I would board a DC Transit bus at the Avondale stop with my school book bag , Remington 40X .22LR rifle in a soft case , several hundred rounds of ammunition and my shooting coat. I would ride the bus to Lafayette Square and get off. I would walk past the White House on Pennsylvania Ave two blocks to Woodward Prep. I would put my shooting gear in my locker and go to my first class.

After school was let out, I would retrieve my gun and gear from the locker, walk back past the White House again and then north on 16th St. to the NRA building five blocks up. I would go into the building and down to the indoor range. Dale Gaskill was the range manger at the time. I would shoot until about 6:00 pm. Get on the bus again with everything and ride home with a bus full of riders who were going home. Nobody cared or even gave me a second look. Can you imagine the 6 o'clock news if a kid did that today. How we have progressed as a society.
    Mike Battista

11. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

When my dad bought me my Mossberg 22 semi auto, I couldnt wait to bring it into school for show and tell, across the street was one of the last stock yards in our neighborhood.

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

That thing with Mary and Johnny. Johnny's one lucky SOB!

Ajax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.