1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How credible is shooting a 50/50 POI ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Guys,

Been shooting a few years and love this game. I shoot a gun with roughly 70/30 POI (about 7" high at 32 yds I'd say) ... and that has worked well with the sight picture I use - which is top of bead just about touching bottom of bird. I shot a flat-shooting field gun today ... and found that if I pulled the trigger when the bead evenly blocks out the bird ... on straight-aways of course ...(think like solar eclipse here) ... that I got very consistent, hard breaks. I only shot a few rounds - but found it an easy method to get in a groove with. I wonder if anyone has found this "sight picture" to their liking ?? Any big dogs shoot this way ? Any good shooters you know shooting this way ?

Enjoy hearing your thoughts, Brian

2. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

When i first started shooting I shot a sporting gun in trap and this is what I had to do. I hated having to cover the bird. I now shoot a gun with 90/10 POI and love it. Took me from hitting 23 in a round as a high to running them. That's just a personnal opinion and every shooter has there own "style". If you like it and it works.....run with it brother.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If it works for you thats fine...not sure what yardage you're shooting..if its all 16s maybe even back to 20 then go for it...but with a super flat shooter you'll lose a few with a wind from your back that knocks the clay down or a trap throwing a low flat n wicked angle..birds that would have seen dive because you were already slightly below them...its all fun so just keep those conditions in mind

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

People shot Model 12s like this for years.

There are a few big dog shooters who have used 50/50 over the years, like Dan B. (with a pull trigger, no less).

It ain't a majority, but don't question it if it works for you. You, and you only, will know when it's time for a change. That change will usually be measured in washers under a comb - not hundreds of dollars in a barrel.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has his MX15 set up at 50/50. Smokes them from the 27. I don't know how but he does.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Good advice so far. Shoot what works for you.

You may be riding the bird so a flatter shooting gun is going to work.

It does not matter if you break a good score.

Don Verna

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Based on recent remarks written by Leo and how surprised he was watching himself working over the target as he put, one can assume he's shooting a very flat gun which probably 50/50. This would make sense having been weened on a 1100.

As Buzz Gun put it most all model 12's shoot flat as pancakes, this would be true of just about all of early model trap guns. Blank out the target and shoot has worked for many top shooters, but many of those shooters who transitioned to higher shootng guns improved their scores. The answer is always the same, everything is subjective. What works for one my not for another. There is no magic pill or poi to break more targets, just you.

Surfer

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Surfer,

I have many to several Model 12's, had Phillip shim them to shoot 70/30 and even have one that shoots 80/20 ... They can be made to shoot right if you take the time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Try shooting that flat shooter with your normal sight picture, or at least with a 6 o'clock hold, i.e.; with the bead barely touching the bird WITHOUT covering it up. You may find it works just fine.

There seems to be a common misconception that you must "cover" the bird with a 50/50 shooter. Taint necessarily so. Think about it. Your killing pattern is at least 18-20" in diameter; the difference between seeing the whole bird on top of your bead and covering the bird up is only 1-2". With half you pattern above the target why should it be necessary to cover it? In fact, you NEVER want to cover the bird because, once it's out of sight, you don't know if you're 2 inches or 2 feet over it. And if someone is 3 feet in front a hard crosser, can they really tell whether they are ON the line versus a few inches below it? I doubt it.

Now, it's possible, due to you your particular timing and swing dynamics that you WILL have to cover it. With the built-in lead of a high-shooter you can be a bit less critical of bead/bird relationship and follow through. If you have little follow through you may shoot behind with a flat shooter and need to compensate by covering the bird or altering your style with a bit more aggressive swing.

As has been said, there are many ways to skin the cat; use what works for you. The question is whether you want to learn a different style. The majority of shooters in any discipline will try something new, hit a wall and, for whatever reason, not commit to the new learnig curve.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, I know guys who started trapshooting with their flat shooting field guns and were coming along pretty well until somebody convinced 'em to get a REAL trapgun that shoots at least 70% high and then their scores went in the crapper and they eventually quit in frustration.

11. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Stop looking at the bead and look at the bird...proceed from there.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We used to learn to shoot where our gun shot. This worked well. Now we tinker with all the adjustable toys which takes a year or so to find out something that works?
    Clyde

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Rudy Etchen was deadly with an 870, even in doubles, and most 870s I've shot were dead flat including TCs and TBs. It's all about finding a gun you like that fits and training your brain to put its delivery on the bird.

-Gary

14. NealSS

NealSS Member

It doesnt matter so much as to what you shoot, Shells or Guns .What is important is. What ever you do to break targets do it the same !Everytime you pull the trigger ! Enough Said.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A lot of the great oldtimers also bent their barrels and had periodic treatments to their guns. Don't assume they shot 60/40 or 50/50 guns.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Setterman, do you know that to be true? Lol

17. DanLee

DanLee Member

We're leaving something out here, namely momentum. Swinging on the target (even up on "straight-aways") means the barrel travels past the point where the trigger-pull-hammer-impact-primer-ignition-shot-departs-barrel sequence happens. I believe those who shoot 70/30 and those who shoot 50/50 barrels are pretty much kidding themselves when they think it makes a difference in trap because the swing is going to cover the few inches a sight picture presents at the moment of trigger pull.

Dan

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

pheasantmaster, I read that in shotgun sports many years ago (when it was still a good rag). They even showed the proper way to bend your barrel on stacked shot bags by basically slamming the barrel on the bags till it shot high enough. Don't remember the month or year, but I always wondered how all those old timers shot ultra flat Model 12s and 1100's.

There was also an article about a fairly well known barrel guru that could change your POI in 15 minutes in the parking lot. I think you know who he was.

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

All American Carl Chadwell shoots 50/50, and shoots very quick.

20. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

PM,
    Setterman is correct, barrel bending is in fact was the only way make the gun shoot higher, not raise the poi but shoot higher. The modern way is through concentric chokes.

Arnold Riegger had a leather lace on recoil pad he would wedge empty shotshell box tops between the comb and the boot of the lace on recoil pad to raise the poi. Shooters would watch him do this and had no clue why he was doing it..

Bending barrels, wedging cardboard, bending tang bolts upward on model 12's and other guns may have come under the heading shooter secrets.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.