1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Competitive are you in Shooting Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

I'm not asking about your scores, they will improve if you work to improve.

What are you doing to improve your Trap Scores? Are you competitive? Were you competitive in other sports you tried in the past? Do you think your scores will improve if you keep doing what you are presently? Curious Biff

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I think your answer is that you are as competitive as you wish to be. I've seen shooters that shoot occasionally and expect to be good at it and are extremely disappointed when they don't win.

When I started shooting I joined a trap league one month after I started shooting trap. One would say that was a mistake, because out of 35 guys that shot the league (for 6 weeks) I was in last place the entire time. I ended up hitting a total of 107 targets out of 300 shot. I sucked man! My first week score was 7 out of 50 birds shot. My second week score was 9 out of 50 birds shot. I got absolutely sick of the score keeper yelling LOST!

I decided then and there that I was going to learn how to shoot just so I could shut that guy up! So I did everything imaginable to be a better shooter. Changing guns, changing glasses, changing stance, changing hats, changing underwear, etc. Within 12 leagues I was top gun, and convincingly.

The key is - make the change. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Kevin

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

No, I'm not competive right now. Doubt if I ever will be anymore. I might still have "a day" every once in a while, but i'm not counting on it.

I was competive at one time, but I lost the desire to put in the time and effort. Now I just shoot to have something to do. A good way to socialize with friends.

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Always try to win, otherwise why even shoot in competition? I'm still competitive in my age class, and was 4th high handicap average in the state of Oregon ATA. Not a good singles shooter though and ,mediocre at doubles. BRGII

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

What is competive? First round I ever shot was an 18 and now average 93 from 16 and 91 from 21. Never shot registered trap though. I'm probably doing as good as I ever will. Jackie B.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I enjoy shooting, but I'm basically shooting against myself and my average.
    I've don't enjoy shootoffs and have either ask just to flip a coin or I've forfeit. I'm just not into head to head competition, If I can't enjoy what I'm doing then there is no sense in doing it. This year I've shot 10,000 registered birds, won a lot of events and even a few hundred bucks this year and only had to walk away from one shootoff. It's been a good year.
    My wife is the same way, she doesn't shoot registered birds but enjoys shooting and is a pretty fair shooter, just dont' keep score for her, she knows what she shot, she doesn't need anyone telling her how well she shot.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I like the competition--my wife never did however and subsequently dropped out.

I compete against myself, and my fellow competitors. I'm not sure which is a more formidable foe however. I suspect it's yours truly...

This past year I concentrated on the basics like not anticipating, staying in the gun, etc. I also shot a ton of ATA targets. My scores rose at least two full percentage points in each discipline. I consider that a huge improvement for one year.

I really don't think my scores will continue to improve at any significant rate without doing something more. To that end I've sent my stock to Greg Hissem to get his adjustable comb and butt plate installed. I want to see what kind of impact a properly set-up gun will have on my performance.

I've tried other competitive endeavors/sports, but was never much of an athlete--something to do with coordination and reflexes (read lack thereof). Being tall I'm often asked if I'm a basketball player. My stock answer is no as I could never figure out how to run AND bounce the ball simultaneously.

I prefer non-athletic, but competitive activities like tournament bass fishing, showing horses, friendly betting, and of course my favorite--chasing women.

You writing a research paper Biff? Please answer your own questions for the benefit of the rest of us.

Guy Babin

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Very competetive with most but not at all with the rest. Oh, to be young again!!

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I used to be very competitive. As I get older, it just gets harder to muster up the mental fortitude to compete. It's like being married to one woman for a long time (31 years); you get tired and eventually it becomes more like work than play, so you give up trying! (LOL, I think).

LA

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm very competitive, will have shot 7000+ registered targets this year, train using a wall chart. But I'm too old and don't have the stamina to excel. To bad I didn't take up this sport 30 years ago. Could have been much better.

Lou

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your only competing aginest a machine. Beat the maching, and you win! No one is ever shooting aginest anyone, just the machine! Other shooters have no bearing on how you shoot. The machine is your enemy, the wind is your enemy, the weather is your enemy. Not the other shooters. Once you get the other shooters out of your head and look at the real issues, you may become a better shooter.

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well I practice mounting my gun everyday. I practice target acquisition everyday by pointing my finger at an object and then moving my eyes to another object and then moving my finger to that object. I have watched all the videos and listen to Lenny Bashams tapes. I do relaxation exercises. And last but not least before I go to sleep I picture targets breaking instead of counting sheep.

I only get to shoot one day per week but I shoot a hundred of each discipline. In 06 I averaged 89% cumulative and this year 93%. If I could I would shoot 3 days a week of practice and 1 day for competition. My ultimate goal is to average 97 so I have a ways to go. But if you go back and look at all of the best shooters in our country it took most of them 10 years to get a respectful average. So I would have to say I'm pretty competitive.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rick....if the urge to do that ever comes up again,...please take it home and beat it in private LOL

14. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Basketball, Baseball, Football, Fast Pitch Softball, Hockey, Bicycling, Mt. Biking. Now Trap shooting Skeet and Sporting Clays.

15. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I've always been EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE.

It started in the third grade with wanting to have the best handwriting in my class, I did. Then in baseball in high school. Racing cars, earning money, women, my business, successful children, my homes and toys, racing dirt bikes, and then trap and sporting clays. I just love shoot offs. Competion is my fuel for existing, I love it.

Tom Strunk

16. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I'm as competitive as my vision and stamina will allow. Can I break 100? Once in a while when the eyes work and the planets align. Can I break 200? Never have so I am not competitive in my class or the 1 or 2 above? Can I see at night? Not very well so I will never be competitive enough to win at a major shoot.JRM

17. biff

biff Active Member

Guy, no research paper here, I've had my share of them. I was curious to hear how other people are about their trapshooting. At alot of the shoots where I have been I have seen people consistently shoot the same scores over and over and appear to act as if that's pretty much all they can expect. They seem to make no effort or interest in trying to improve, to me there are other things to be doing in their case rather than to just go out and burn powder and watching their targets sail till they hit the ground! I don't consider this type of shooter to be a competitive shooter.

By competitive, I don't mean to go out into a blood vendetta against Tom Strunk or Otnot; my competition is myself as several others stated also. If you never miss, you can't be beat!

There are two kinds of competitors: natural born talent that put forth little effort and seem to always win with ease, it just comes easy to them almost boringly consistently winning! The other kind of competitor is someone who has no idea of where their natural ability plateau actually is? This type of competitor is constantly striving to improve and work very hard on their areas of weaknesses by using wall charts, clinics, reading everything that is available about trap from the mental aspect to the physical ways to break a target. As Otnot said they visualize it, they exercise, they get their guns finetuned to fit, and they follow a diet which improves their general health, vision and stamina and they push themselves to be the best they can and they aren't satisfied with any score below their average. So Guy, I sadly fall into this latter category! I get knocked down alot, but I get up and go at it again as I hope I haven't reached my potential yet. On the other thread I posted "Making the Connection" I indicated when everything is right for you with what you KNOW, what keeps you from DOING the thing you want to do; why can't you make that connection? Biff

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I was brought up to "play to win" and "you know when you dont give it 100%" like tonight. I ran 25 first set. then it started to get dark. to light for the lights but not darkenough for them to help. I just do not like shooting in this, plus our lights are aimed to high not so bright anyway. so I "know" I really did not shoot at "my" 100%. What have I done to improve. I watch the better shooters around me, practice my setup routine. I also breath deeply on the line. It just helps.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I shoot now for enjoyment twenty five years ago, I shoot competitve targets ran in to way too many sand baggers who needs it? I always shoot to break every target as I believe it should be, Want to shoot for money?

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

blabbin babbin, your not as good as you think at some of those non competitive events.

Tom, I challange you in regards to your hand writing skills. You name the bet...

biff, I enjoy the game and don't always give my all. I do like competition. I was pretty competitive at pitching quarters and catching flys with my hand in by gone days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.