1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Comfortable are U with guncase locks?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

When traveling either by car, plane or what ever are you comfortable with the locks that are on your gun case to keep others out of it?

2. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I put strapping tape around the case where the locks are before the case goes on the plane.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The UL rating on a pro getting into your gun safe is in minutes, a case for a non pro secounds.

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

The last time I flew with guns, the TSA officer inspected the guns (2 gun case), witnessed me locking the case, then he taped it shut with strapping tape imprinted with the TSA logo. No problem.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Is it necessary to put a good lock on a latch than can be easily popped off? If someone intends to steal guns in a case, they would take the case and the guns. The case has a nice handle and makes it easier to carry the stolen guns.

Pat Ireland

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Many airline gun cases have molded areas to add your own lock, usually a large pad lock... Some cases have metal rods which slide the length of the case and then are locked down with your own pad lock. It will take tools to cut into these cases with your own locks. Yes, they will have to steal your entire case, but it is difficult for a baggage handler to walk off the job with a large gun case. It is more likely that some one will steal it after it comes down the baggage shoot. I had trouble at the Salt Lake Airport years ago with a rifle in a case [going on an elk hunt]. It was not delivered to baggage from the airplane. I had to get the airline staff to look for it and still no gun. I finally explained to them that they had 5 minutes to produce the gun or I was going to call the FBI and inform them that they had a rifle on the tarmac that was unaccounted for. The airline staff delivered my gun to me in 3 minutes. Fred

7. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Guncase locks serve one purpose: Easier to collect on insurance when it can be shown the locks were broken.

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I put a cable lock through the handle brackets and don't even bother with the rinky dink case locks.

My new case will have good locks or a place for a padlock.

HM

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

The word is yes.... I use a RHINO Case with an American #5360 lock. Between the two it is extremely difficult if not bordering on the impossible (without a torch or hack saw) to get into. I also use a motorcycle security cable to wrap around a permanent portion of the auto trunk that in effect means you will have to steal the car to get the gun. I am not saying tis is the perfect solution but its about the best you can get under current circumstances. Been all over the country without problems or concern other than having the airlines lose the case which they have not done yet. I buy the extra insurance from the airline just so I can make sure they know that they are on the hook if it grows legs. So far so good.

TB

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Never seen this method but heard of it. Take a hard plastic golf bag airline case and secure your locked guncase INSIDE of the locked golf bag case. The would-be thieves only think they're looking at a set of golf clubs instead of high dollar trap guns. Somewhat secure AND camouflaged.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.