Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How come shot prices are coming down and not ammo?

8K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Steven 
#1 ·
Ammo is hard to get (.22LR Federal Champion 510's) and some ammo prices are going up. I know ammo is getting stockpiled and the ammo makers aren't keeping up with the demand.

Centerfire bullets haven't come down and some have gone up.
It is hard to believe they are selling enough to keep the prices up there with the economy the way it is.

What's going on?

#2 ·
demos are allready putting it to us,according to my supplyer(shanz supply s.w.mi)its a two fold problem,1) the panic buying across the country,they said as of yesterday they have sold as mutch ammo & reloading componets, as they did for the whole last year. 2)demos are working on ramroding bills under the wire to tax the s%@# out of us on reloading supplys,and ammunition. (powder& primers)they said even the shotgun end as far as powder & primers will eventulay be affected,also the larger mfgrs. are going to change the way they sell to distributors,smaller quanitys,going to be eleminating 4& 8 lb containers,so far quite a few except alliant have started.also the demos are working on bringing back the clinton ban with a addition of alot of other guns.i think we may be in for a rough ride,seems like the demos have alot of other magor problems to deal with than us shooters. mark P.S.IS YOUR NRA MEMBERSHIP UP TO DATE?????

#3 ·
The real question should be, With a major shortage of metallic ammunition and primers, why would Federal Cartridge Co. have 2 layoffs? 1 back in Nov. approx.50 people, 2 nd. in Jan. approx. 80 people. In SE Pa. there is a major shortage of loaded ammunition for handguns and primers. If you visit some of the rifle and handgun forums people from other parts of the country are asking the same question.

#4 ·
The price of lead is way down,The reason or so I am told primers went off the map was the price of copper! Well look at the price of copper now!Plastics in wads comes from oil and look at the price of oil!Powder prices havn't changed all that much!EE has the answer ,They are going to make money while they still can.All of the speculation as to what the NEW administration is going to do with guns+ammo has everything in a big mess!

#6 ·
EE

I'm not one of those who has to get top dollar for everything, so yes it is very possible I would put a fair price on everything. Besides with lower prices and selling more volume, the manufacturer might do better.

Maybe Federal should get those people back.

#9 ·
For the same reason oil prices are FALLING yet the price of gas is INCREASING! When you have no competion and a cative market you can do that! In years passed many people were selling Ammo and there was a vast supply of military ammo from overseas. In recent years tighten regulations and the rapidly decreasing number of dealers selling it has changed the picture completely! Not much competition these days. The same way with lead. When I started reloading I was getting my lead from Mexico dirt cheap. Can't do that now.

#10 ·
Just an observation you understand but as I recall when the Lead prices were going up and up and up the new shell prices were not. Until about the tail end of the increase in the price of lead.

Then the shell prices started to rise. If I am not mistaken they didn't increase the price of shells any where near as much as the price of a bag of shot. I am wondering if maybe some of you should be a little more patient in this matter and see what happens down the line. JMO

Bob Lawless

#14 ·
I thought Trappy went away and agreed to stay away. How I wish for the old days when he was gone.

Guys there is competition in the ammo markets. When someone is making a profit and I buy their product they are GREEDY. If I make money it is hard work, the American way. If someone else makes money they are greedy. Either begin a company competing against them and get part of there obscene profits!! Or buy stock in the company and enjoy your part of the profit, or loss if that happens. Better yet, boycott and don't buy from the high price ones, or is that the high quality ones?

#17 ·
How does the economy work? I got it, there is not enough of it to go around, you are going to pay more for it than everyone else who wants it to get it if you really want it. I got it, there is more than enough of it for everyone and some more, I will sell it to you at as small of a profit as I can to stay in business, Maybe less to keep employees working. Some people call this supply and demand.

Mike

#18 ·
Demand is up. The manufacturer's have computers and know what is happening on a day to day basis, no compelling reason for them to lower prices until demand drops. We are the consumers, not the shareholders to whom they are ultimitly responsible. My basic view is buy it while you can and pay the price. God I'm glad I'm not 25 and right out of the crotch. gyrine

#22 ·
Prices will go down on the cheapos, especially with the onslaught of a lot of newer import target shell offerings.

There's little pressure on the Big Three to make a high quality, more expensive target loads anymore. There has been such a wide acceptance of both the US and Import cheapos.

The market will dictate. As usual.

#24 ·
This is for EE So when the price of shot goes up! we should see the price of shells go down??? 4-6 montrhs later?????? I think 3-4 weeks perhaps.

This is for Ivanhoe: You such an ass with your statement, go back to your country of birth. Just like the government alot of BS, do you think this inventory is 6-8 months for shells???? more like 3-4 weeks dumb ass!!

We understand the duration between cost and sales, but in this era the turnaround is 3-4 weeks.

You have been a dumb ass on all kinds of threads!!! stay off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.