1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How cold does it need to be to affect shells ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Yesterday the temperatures were in the twenties at the trap range.

There were very few "smoked" targets.

Don't know that the scores were affected, just noticed that there was a lot fewer smoked targets.

Is 20 degrees F cold enough to affect the performance of shotgun shells ?

2. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Along with decreased shell performance low temps also make claybirds "harder".

They kind of just shatter instead of hard breaks and smoke.
    With small shot there will also be more "dusted" targets with just chips taken out of them.

3. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

I don't think those shells know what the temperature is.

The clays do get harder?? softer?? in really cold damp weather.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know where the 'too cold to shoot' temp is but I think there is a limit.

I shot some practice yesterday in 40 degree weather using shells that were stored an unheated outbuilding that was about 20 degrees. No problem smoking the targets with the exception of a few handicap birds. (not an ammo problem :)) These were factory loaded estate shells.

I have had several problems in cold weather using my green dot handloads with STS primers. Seems like anything below 30 and I would start getting bloopers. Federal primers cured that.

But I do believe that the lower the temperature of the ammo the lower the chamber pressure and velocity so a little fore thought goes a long way. Keep enough ammo inside a warm house for your weekly shooting needs and don't let it get cold before you shoot it. Winter is just another shooting season and sometimes the best times can be had then.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I had the same blooper issue with Green Dot and Remington primers, and it's even worse with American Select. Remington solved the problem by pricing themselves out of the market and Winchester primers substitute very nicely. BTW, have you noticed condensation on the hull when you extract one of those bloopers?

best....mike

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Mike,

You obviously had the same problem with the GD. The chambers were very wet and I remember thinking it was a good thing I had a chrome lined bore.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Have had trouble using RIOs below say 30 degrees...those who use them in our winter league have gotten into the habit of sitting the boxes next to the heater til just before their squads go out on the line

8. C-Money

C-Money Member

I pack my bag the night before and keep it in the house. I have never had an issue, I use Fiocchi primers.

9. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Bruce Buck. "technoid" said you will loose 50fps below 30degrees. I would thlnk some powders are affected more than others
    I had trouble last year with cheddite primers. Switched to federal and problem solved

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

What does the powder manufacturer say? Have you asked them, they make the stuff and should be able to provide cold weather recommendations for their products that are within safe limits.

Surfer

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Remington Primers are the culprit, and switching to almost anything else, resolves it. I chose Winchester primers because of availability & they fit STS hulls best on my loader. ......Why I no longer use Remington primers: let me count the reasons... The wet chamber phenomenon with bloopers, is puzzling.

best....mike

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It all depends on the powder. Some contain more moister than others. I was told that extruded powders were less temp. sensitive than ball or flake powders. Hodgdon came up with Varget and it's supposed to have same burn rates from -20 to 120 degrees.

If I have to leave my shells in the vehicle for a cold day, I'll keep them in an insulated lunch box or cooler, and throw 1 or 2 of those hand warmers in there. Keeps the shells warm all day.

Wayne

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Moisture depends if it is a single base or double base powder. I've shot Top Guns and literally had wet gloves from handling the empties, but it depends on the temp and humidity.

Another good reason to clean and oil your bore after every use.

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Tom Roster addresses this very issue in the January 2013 issue od Sporting Clays magazine. He says pattern degradation is a major issue in cold weather due to denser air. He says of pattern degradation and velocity loss that above 45 degrees it's not a big issue but below 45 degrees you better move up one size in shot. The larger shot size retains energy for both pattern percentage and velocity.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A very well known Winchester representative, that worked in the ballistics department, once told me that the colder the shells become, the less efficient they become. He told me the percentages but I've forgotten.

Warm 'em up, keep them in a pocket with a hand warmer and your good.

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I am more concerned about the cold affecting my brain. LOL

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Border Bandit, if you are getting bloopers in cold weather or any other type of weather, I can almost guarantee you it isn't Remington primers.

I live in Iowa and I have shot them exclusively for the last 40 years, and I have never had a blooper....be it 10 below or 100 above zero!

If you have a blooper with Remington primers, it is something else you are doing or something you are not doing.

And I do shoot about 10,000 a year every year.

Hauxfan!

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think from my experience, that "bloopers" in cold weather are more of a factor with the larger bore sizes. The "hotter" load is required to expand the base of the wad cup, out to seal against the barrel. It also helps to use a wad that has a soft flexible rim on the wad cup, during cold weather.

19. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hauxfan has it right, I've also used Rem. primers & most all other Rem components since the early 1960s with far less problems than others using different brands, my 2nd choice is Fed. Can't get Rem. or Fed. primers right now, so have bought some Noble Sports they seem to be OK but have only used a couple 1000 so far. Keep checking because like Hauxfan I really doubt that the Rem. primers are the problem. Ross Puls

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Stl Flyn, I'm not sure I agree with the base of the wad cup sealing the barrel. If you look at a spent wad, look at all the dimples inside the shot cup. It's my understanding the base of the wad seals the burning powder and gases inside the hull. The shot cup expanded by the shot, helps seal the barrel some, but gases escape around it anyway.

I don't know about large bored barrels, but most of the off sounding/bloopers I hear are from ported barrels?

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.