1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How close is too close?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've been looking at some of the results from the various state shoots. I can't believe how close some of these shooters are to the 16yrd line and are shooting 'caps.

I've always felt that the ATA should abolish any distance shorter than the 22. It needs to be as different as doubles is from singles in order for it to be a different discipline. As it is right now, it's just singles from a couple of yards further back for some of the shooters.

ss

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot handicap from the 16 yard line. Only thing is you have to use a 410. HMB

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

short shucker

"I've always felt that the ATA should abolish any distance shorter than the 22. It needs to be as different as doubles is from singles in order for it to be a different discipline. As it is right now, it's just singles from a couple of yards further back for some of the shooters."

So does this mean that miraculously some where between 18 and 22yds it become something other than singles from a couple of yards further back. Isn't that what it is all the way back. The distance only handicaps the human mind and obviously some much less than others.

Bob Lawless

4. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

It's the same complaint I hear from the guys on the 27 yard. Too many guys on the 27 yard don't belong back there. Is you concern about sand bagging?

Bob Collins

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I got to agree with ivanhoe on this one. While I prefer shooting the 20 instead of the 16 for singles, it strikes fear in most of the shooters at one little club I shoot at. They start to think about different chokes and shells and their game goes to hell just moving back 4 yards. It's kinda funny. Wayne

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

20 yards is nothing but "Long Singles" !

:)

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

If you have a 16 yard average of 80 and a handicap avg of 75. how close is to close?

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

What smsyder said.
    Don

9. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

There doesn't seem to be many 20 yard Handicap shooters winning events - mostly the long yardage guys.

Eric

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I can piss away targets on any yard line. I could probably miss one or more out of 25 standing on the trap house.

HM

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Eric, your going to have to back that one up with some data!!!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

smsnyder- With a 16 yard average of 80 and a handicap average of 75, I think the 14 yard line would be an ideal handicap.

Pat Ireland

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

In the 2008 target year, of all ATA shooters who shot at least 1000 handicap targets:

87.1% of 21 yard shooters averaged below 90% in handicap;

95.9% of 20 yard shooters averaged below 90% in handicap;

99.1% of 19 yard shooters averaged below 90% in handicap;

100.0% of 18 yard shooters averaged below 90% in handicap.

Given that an average below 90% on 1000 targets will bring a reduction offer to most shooters, how can you argue that the minimum should be 22 yards?

14. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Looking at Pocatello's post, the minimum yardage should be the 16 yard line. Wasn't it that way way back when it first started? I thought that the whole idea was that every one would be competing against each other, with the better shooters handicapped so the not so good shooters would have a chance?

I think that it should be made harder for the sandbaggers/target managers to get reductions is the way to go. Maybe no reductions unless one does bad in All American Points tournaments and/or a 2 year freeze for money punches.

Jason

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If I can smell what you had for breakfast, you're too close. And it doesn't matter from which side.

16. ivanhoe

waverider

"Looking at Pocatello's post, the minimum yardage should be the 16 yard line. Wasn't it that way way back when it first started? I thought that the whole idea was that every one would be competing against each other, with the better shooters handicapped so the not so good shooters would have a chance?"

You said in the last sentence of that quote after the comma just the opposite of what what you said in the first sentence of you post.

"Looking at Pocatello's post, the minimum yardage should be the 16 yard line."

And you are correct the better shooters are supposed to be handicap farther from the trap as the get better.

"The ATA Handicap system is the method whereby shooters whose ability to win
    or compete at a level of accomplishment has been demonstrated and shooters
    whose ability is unknown are handicapped by shooting a greater distance from
    the trap house."

I can find nothing that say that shooters who can not compete should be moved closer to the trap house.

Bob Lawless

17. waverider

Bob,

My apology for a confusing post. It is clear in my confused mind. ;)

My point is if you look at the handicap average of the All Americans and compare those averages to the scores of the lower class 16 yard Single scores, many barely can compete from the 16 yard line.

The process of granting yardage reduction allows those that cannot compete at longer yardage to move closer to the trap house.

Jason

18. ivanhoe

waverider I am aware of what your point is but moving shooters forward will never cure the problem. It can only cause more of the same.

Those more gifted shooter who stay in only one place and their averages go up even farther every year are the one that need to move rearward in the normal progression of the handicap.

Bob Lawless

19. waverider

Bob,

I think that we are looking at 2 different "problems" with the Handicap event.

The one that am addressing is trying to level the playing field.

I do realize that the other "problem" is that there are shooters that manage their scores to not get punched back.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.