1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? How clean walnut pistol grips?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

A friend of mine asked me to clean 2 old Colt revolvers for him. They both have walnut grips with the colt medallion embedded in them. The grips are very dirty and show signs of wear, but do not appear to be cracked or chipped. So, my question is, what's the best way to clean the wood and get the dirt out of the checkered grooves and the Colt medallion? Without doing any harm? Should I put a coat of finish on them?
    Thanks
    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have cleaned grips and checkering with the furniture refinishing products such as Formby's and a tooth brush. A very light coat of Tru-Oil well rubbed or applied sparingly with a tooth brush if the grips are checkered leaves them with a nice patina if that is what you are looking for. If they are collector items they may be better not cleaned.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

An artgum eraser is a non invasive way of pulling dirt and oils out of the wood. Probably want avoid refinishing until you know the collector value of the guns.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Murphy's Oil Soap is a common wood cleaner.

5. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Go with Murphy's and a tooth bursh, it has worked for me for years.
    Be Well

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thanks guys. What a great place to acquire the knowledge of others.
    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Just by plain good luck I spotted a bottle of WOOD FOR GOOD at my local supermarket. It is a product that is seemingly waterbased and even smells good. The label and instructions are printed in English and in French. Maybe an import. methodhome.com is the company. I used this stuff on a Ljutic that had what looked like a lifetime of "schmutz" in the checkered areas. Got all clean and the result was, after a ten minute time frame of applying, loosening dirt with a toothbrush, (used brush!) and mopping with a cotton cloth, that the nice grain showed again in the checkering area. Yuck...years of dead skin cells, dirt, and body oils all in a muck removed from the checkering. After this onerous task, a gross task, I put Krieghoff oil on the wood and rubbed her down..coulda used pledge, I suppose.

I got lucky finding this product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
care for walnut grips

cleaning wood pistol grips

cleaning wooded pistol grips
cleaning wooden pistol grips
how to care for pietta walnut pistol grips
how to clean and care for a browning stock or grips
how to clean colt wood grips
how to clean walnut gun grips