1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How can that be?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claykiller, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claykiller

claykiller Member

Being relatively new to trap shooting, I have now been to three registered shoots. At all of them I have noticed nearly all of the junior shooters on the line use Guerinis, Krieghoffs, and Perazzis. Not all of them are Olympic hopefuls with sponsorship so how in the hell does a 14 to 17 year old kid afford these guns?

2. trapboy8769

trapboy8769 TS Member

i would guess really nice parents.... i wish i was that lucky, but ill take what i got....
    Matt

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Extremely big paper routes.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

They had an extremely large piggy bank???

Hauxfan!

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

My son shoots a Kreighoff, but he's 30. For some reason I still have flats of shells missing now and then!

7. over/under

over/under Member

And now you know what is wrong with our country.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I agree over/under. Not one of those guns is made in the USA!

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I help out with our local High school team. I see lots of guns come from the back of old closets, grampas old gun orwhat ever. The most expensive 1 I have seen any of our kids shoot is a BT99 that he claims was 1500 but his family owns the local lime service and he is cocky as ****, he is also the kid I had to ask to please not bring his "new side by side coach gun" to the line. Our area has those older guys who shoot Kguns,Pguns,Blaser,Ljutic,Berretta and few Silver Seitze, the majority shoot Browning. I guess we all shoot what we can afford.

What gets me is all the fast and furious cars that all the local kids drive whose parents dont have a pot to p**s in that have a muffler that is 300 bucks and stereo that is 4000 bucks, tell me where that comes from cause I just want a nice lil truck!!

Jerry

10. shootman

shootman TS Member

I was an SCTP coach for three years. The most kids we had at one time was twenty four. I seen everything from mossbergs to bt99. at state competition [ohio] others were shooting kriegoffs, perazi,beretta,etc. Bottom line is how much does mom and dad make a year and how serious is the kid into shooting. My grandson shot for three years with a skb mod. 600 and shot well. Then at 16 he discovered girls. End of shooting. Glad i didnt buy him a 3-4000 dollar gun. BOB

11. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

it all depends on what you want to spend..or let the kid spend if it's hids own money.

the bottom line it all depends on what you want to spend your money on....motorcycles, boats, cars etc. we al have our priorities.

12. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

My son shoots a CG....it was his high school graduation present.He could have had a used car/truck.......but no.... he had to have a trapgun.... a pretty damn expensive one at that.I didn't mind getting this shotgun for him because I know he will shoot it the rest of his life.Oh, by the way,the double barrel set is on him.I'm really glad he loves the sport as much as I do.
    D.P.Reynolds

13. huntinmama

huntinmama TS Member

Trap shooting here in the boonies, most of our kids shoot guns under $500. I can't think of one that shoots anything over that. Most shoot 870's, moss, stoeger, and cheaper o/u. My son saved his money for over 2 summers of irrigating for his grandpa just to buy a bps, got it before price hike for $400. That was huge for him! But the key thing is he APPRECIATES it cause he worked long n hard for it. Now when he goes to the state trap shoot he (along with the rest of the family)drool over the very nice trap guns. Will we ever be able to buy him one, not likely, but what he learns in life lessons will be a bigger advantage to him, then if he has high dollar gun! The best trap shooter we have here in the sticks, is a sophmore that will shoot 25 straight with just his Wal-mart bought 870, beat all the men in mens league this summer. I would really like to see what some of these kids could do with guns that actually custom fit them, and some coaching! But until then, we have a great time shooting in the sandburs!

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There's a kid I know who's Dad bought him a used Perazzi combo. Kid shot very, very well with it and even won a few state sub jr championships also. Now the kid is a 16 yo and has a drivers license and a girl friend. Combo is up for sale at $7-8k. BTW the dad is a blue collar worker.

Eric

15. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

Back in the mid '60s when I was a young man, I took jobs mowing lawns, shoveling snow, washing cars and washing windows as well as running errands for neighbor ladies. At 13 I worked for my next door neighbor who was a milkman. (Remember those?) I worked every Saturday starting about 3am until about 1pm for $5.00 pay. At 16 I got a job as a stockboy in a grocery store making $1.75 per hour. I saved a lot of the money I made. In 1968 at age 16 I had saved enough to buy a Browning Superposed Broadway Trap. Everybody in my family (except my Dad) thought I was crazy. One day, I put on my nicest pants, my nicest shirt and tie and my Dad and I drove to the gun dealer I had chosen and I paid $468.00 cash(still have the invoice) for the Browning (still have the gun.) $468.00 was a good pile of money in 1968.

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Tarhawk,

That's almost exactly what I paid for my Broadway in 1970. I don't have the receipt but I still have the gun.

Eric

17. over/under

over/under Member

Tarhawk you hit the nail on the head w/o even knowing it. My story is similar to yours. With paper route money I purchased an 870TB from Woolworths ($165). But like you (unlike todays society) saved my money to purchase with cash. That is the problem with our country, starting in DC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.